News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE ENFORCER: The Story 2: The Humor  (Read 2789 times)
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: February 15, 2009, 11:29:40 PM »

”The original Dirty Harry and Magnum Force were very serious, very dramatic. The other thing we were trying to do in this movie, we injected a lot of humor into this one, and I mean, actually the critics picked up on it.”
James Fargo, from the audio commentary on The Enforcer Ultimate Collector’s Edition DVD.

What is your opinion of the change of direction this film took from the first two Dirty Harry films? Would you have preferred a more serious drama?
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 02:11:12 PM »

I felt The Enforcer was best as it was with humour and serious scenes and the sadness of Kate's death.  I enjoyed the humour in it and feel Clint has the ability to be humorous without being a real comedian.   he can do this with a look or a half smile.  Perhaps this was to show Harry in a different light.
_Clintan_

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 08:48:02 AM »

I felt it was something positive, I don't mind some funny dialogue in my actionfilms, it fits the Dirty Harry character perfectly IMO.

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 05:52:15 PM »

Perhaps this was to show Harry in a different light.

I enjoy the humor in The Enforcer, particularly the scene where Kate is interviewed. This film does have a different feel than the previous two, and in some way, it works for this one. Perhaps the makers did want to show the different sides of Harry Callahan through those first three films. For instance, the first film shows Harry almost working opposite the law to get the job done, but then in Magnum Force we see him standing up for the system. And then we get the more humorous side, perhaps. And of course, it's not all humor in the film--it's also one of the saddest of the Dirty Harry movies.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 05:53:44 PM by Christopher » Logged
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 07:47:10 PM »

Thanks to everyone for participating in this discussion. This topic is now closed, please post any additional thoughts in the Dirty Harry forum.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T