News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE ENFORCER: Acting 3: The Co-Stars  (Read 3934 times)
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: February 15, 2009, 11:30:28 PM »

What do you think of the casting and performances of DeVeren Bookwalter as Bobby Maxwell, Bradford Dillman as Captain McKay and Albert Popwell as Big Ed Mustapha? Discuss any other performances that you particularly liked or disliked that have not yet been mentioned.
Aline

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 07:08:17 AM »

I enjoyed all three of them.

Bob Maxwell scared me.

Captain McKay always trying impose himself as a powerful, influent man but everytime Harry argued against his statements, just left a stupid look in his face ;D

I liked Ed Mustafa too. Actor Albert Popwell can do anything... he was in three of the Dirty Harry movies playing different yet convincing characters...

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 07:54:53 PM »

Actually, Popwell was in four "Dirty Harry" movies, playing a bank robber, a pimp, a "black power" kingpin, and Harry's (ex-)partner.  ;)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 08:57:14 PM »

I think Big Ed Mustapha might be my favorite of the characters Albert Popwell played. He always had a certain presence on screen in the Dirty Harry movies, and I think Mustapha is just the best role of them. I wonder why they didn't get him in The Dead Pool. ??? (I just checked Popwell's IMDb page and there's that same exact question on his board, and the reply is that he had scheduling conflicts)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 02:39:31 AM »

I think Big Ed Mustapha might be my favorite of the characters Albert Popwell played. He always had a certain presence on screen in the Dirty Harry movies, and I think Mustapha is just the best role of them. I wonder why they didn't get him in The Dead Pool. ??? (I just checked Popwell's IMDb page and there's that same exact question on his board, and the reply is that he had scheduling conflicts)

It's interesting to note that the roles Albert Popwell played in the four Dirty Harry films got bigger with each film.

In the original he had one scene with two lines. In Magnum Force two or three scenes with a little more dialogue, to this role where he one of the major co-stars and his character is central to the plot.

I wonder what role he would have had in The Dead Pool if he was supposed to be in it, but turned it down because of scheduling conflict. But that's for another discussion.

I agree with Christopher, that this is the best role of his in the four films.

Another of the co-stars that I always enjoyed in the first three films was John Mitchum as Frank Digiorgio. I believe apart from Clint, he was the only other actor to appear in the first three films as the same character.

He doesn't have a lot of scenes in the three films and at the beginning of this film you think he's going to get plenty of screen time being Harry's partner, but that changes with the Mayor's new policy and he gets replaced by a woman.

Am I right in saying apart from Chico, Frank Digiorgio is the only other one of Harry's partners not to get killed while partnered with Harry?

I was so disappointed the first time I saw this, that he does get killed off. He played off Harry so well. The fatso remarks from Harry never seemed to faze him.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Aline

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 06:13:55 AM »

Actually, Popwell was in four "Dirty Harry" movies, playing a bank robber, a pimp, a "black power" kingpin, and Harry's (ex-)partner.  ;)

yup, you're right, KC.

bank robber- Dirty Harry

a pimp- Magnum Force

a "black power" kingpin- The Enforcer

Harry's (ex-)partner- Sudden Impact

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 06:44:25 AM »

Am I right in saying apart from Chico, Frank Digiorgio is the only other one of Harry's partners not to get killed while partnered with Harry?

Al Quan in The Dead Pool. He believed in his grandfather's superstition, "When your partner gives you advice, take it." ;)
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 01:33:33 PM »

Of the three I think Albert Popwell turns in the best performance.  I like the way he plays the part and the way he shows a trust in Harry.

Captain MaKay was a bit of a whimp and I think Bradford Dillman portrayed that very well.

DeVeren Bookwalter as Maxwell was OK but not on a par with Albert or Bradford.
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 07:48:21 PM »

Thanks to everyone for participating in this discussion. This topic is now closed, please post any additional thoughts in the Dirty Harry forum.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T