News: In theaters December 14: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Book Coming!! American Rebel: The Life of Clint Eastwood  (Read 11572 times)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« on: March 17, 2009, 04:02:35 PM »

Set to be released in September 2009.

Amazon

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
WeAllHaveItCominKid
Member Extraordinaire

They got a sign on him in front of Greely's?

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 07:36:48 PM »

OMG, you just made my day!!!! I hope this book lives up to my expectations. We haven't really recieved a great bio on Clint yet.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
JMG

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 08:45:55 PM »

Thanks for the heads up.

I've been looking for a good bio in book form on Clint Eastwood, this might be the one. I recorded 'Clint Eastwood - Man From Malpaso' years ago on A&E (I think), it was very good but there's nothing like sitting down with a good book.
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 11:20:53 AM »

Is this book official?Meaning does it have Eastwood`s blessing and more importantly something new information/stories that we don`t already know about Eastwood?

Anyway,cool cover  O0
Aline

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 12:42:05 PM »

The cover is really great. If this come up here, I'll be buying it :)
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 05:54:57 AM »

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 02:04:32 PM »

Thanks antonis.

JSE already gave us a heads up on that book.

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=7301.msg124241#msg124241

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 03:15:40 PM »

Set to be released in September 2009.

Amazon

OUT THIS WEEK

• American Rebel: The Life of Clint Eastwood, Marc Eliot: The author of more than two dozen books on popular culture explores the life of the iconic actor and director.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/life/stories/2009/10/06/1A_OUT06_-_OCTOBER.ART_ART_10-06-09_D1_FJF8DFJ.html?type=rss&cat=&sid=101

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 06:18:47 AM »

:) 'American Rebel: The Life of Clint Eastwood'

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/11/RVD219U4OA.DTL   

By Marc Eliot

What prompted Marc Eliot to give us another life of Clint Eastwood? A little over 10 years ago, two other biographies appeared, one by Richard Schickel and another by Patrick McGilligan. Schickel, who has worked with Eastwood and who did his book as an authorized project, was a heartfelt fan who regarded Clint in the tradition of American heroes that extends from "The Last of the Mohicans" to "Unforgiven." McGilligan, a very dogged researcher, saw more of an opportunist, a cold, detached user of people and a serial father (it is generally accepted that Clint has had four children out of wedlock, and three within).

Eliot disparages these books: Schickel's is "hopelessly hagiographic," he says, while McGilligan's is "overly cynical." But Eliot draws a great deal of his material from those earlier works. There is not much here that is new or surprising. And yet, says Eliot, the past decade has been crucial in Eastwood's career and in how we perceive him. In that time, he has given us "Mystic River," "Flags of Our Fathers," "Letters From Iwo Jima," "Changeling" and the forthcoming "Invictus" (Morgan Freeman as Nelson Mandela), not to mention "Million Dollar Baby" and "Gran Torino."

So Clint Eastwood, born in San Francisco in 1930, has collected best picture and best director Oscars for "Million Dollar Baby" (and should have had best actor, too, Eliot reckons). Those statuettes go with the prizes for "Unforgiven," and the Irving Thalberg Award. He is the most rewarded and distinguished movie person in America - yet, as you may have noticed, the movies these days do not generally have much patience with 79-year-olds.

Moreover, Eastwood belongs to no club. He did his time in Southern California (on TV first, in "Rawhide"), just as he helped bring a fatalistic al dente severity to the spaghetti Western. But he is Northern Californian by instinct - Carmel, but Mount Shasta, too, as well as the Bay Area, so long as he isn't expected to wave a sentimental flag for one community (though he was briefly mayor of Carmel). You see, he isn't brimming over with team spirit, unless it's Team Clint we're talking about. The most American thing about Eastwood is that, without family money or higher education, and after an unsettled, wandering childhood, he has become a self-sufficient industry, not so much a man with no name as a businessman not overly endowed with trust in others. He runs his own machine. He is famous for lean budgets and schedules and kicking people out of the way if they want to work more slowly - yet in France especially he has the reputation of a craftsman (instead of just a blunt instrument).

So Clint stands erect as if to demonstrate the toughness of that generation that made the movies. Clint, it seems to me, is a fair director, though he has improved steadily, but a rather ungenerous actor - not just to other players but also to the idea of feeling. I think emotion embarrasses him in films, and it may be the same in life. But in telling a story, running the action and promoting a picture, Clint is on his own - and for those reasons he is one of the greatest producers we have ever had.

Whatever Eliot thinks, McGilligan's unforgiving book opened up the meanness in Eastwood and his essentially narrow view of life - and McGilligan emerged intact after Eastwood had threatened litigation. Maybe in decades to come, the children and the women will give us their version of the man - so far, apart from the wounded Sondra Locke, they have stayed quiet, and in great part this is because Eastwood has managed and intimidated them. So perhaps he isn't the nicest guy in the world - but he has never made that claim for himself. Eastwood is blue-collar, tough-minded, without many illusions or profound ideas, but a chronic storyteller. Whether you prefer "The Outlaw Josey Wales" or "Unforgiven," "Mystic River" or "Dirty Harry," he has hung around so long it is hard to deny him affection and respect.

The picture business is brutally hard, and it is horribly easy for youthful success to lead to dreadful, lazy work. There are a lot of Eastwood pictures I don't like - from "Gran Torino" to "Paint Your Wagon." But then there are unquestioned major works as well as the blithe eccentricity of the orangutan films, "Bird," "In the Line of Fire," "Tightrope" and a number of pictures, like "Round Midnight," that Eastwood quietly godfathered into being. In addition, we have a mutual friend who has been kept alive in recent years by Eastwood's unassuming generosity. He is his own man, an uncomplaining loner, and though he will be 80 in May, it's a rash gambler who would say for sure what he'll do next.

David Thomson of San Francisco is the author of "The New Biographical Dictionary of Film" and "Have You Seen? A Personal Introduction to 1,000 Films," both published by Knopf. E-mail him at [email protected].

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 09:42:24 AM »

Doesn't like Gran Torino... that killed it.

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 06:40:21 AM »

Doesn't like Gran Torino... that killed it.

I agree Gant.

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
El Cigarillo

"Who says I was jokin?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 12:20:53 PM »

The reviewer did not like it. Although he did one of the better interviews with Clint,  David Thomson has no taste in films.
The fact that this new book draws from two previous bios, both of which are full of mistakes and falsehoods, leaves me cold.

Eliot is a good writer, but he is more of a personal biographer. I really am not interested in Clint's love life. SO, COUNT ME OUT>

Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 03:02:37 AM »

LOL

Aline

Email
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 05:14:07 AM »

LOL

Nice find, Philo Jr. We can see a pattern here, can't we? :D
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 03:01:11 AM »

That's what we call an original idea right there  :o :D

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 08:34:08 AM »

" Not much new in new Eastwood bio "

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/accent/313222.php  

What prompted Marc Eliot to give us another life of Clint Eastwood?
A little more than 10 years ago, two other biographies appeared, one by Richard Schickel and another by Patrick McGilligan.
Schickel, who has worked with Eastwood and who did his book as an authorized project, was a heartfelt fan who regarded Clint in the tradition of American heroes that extends from "The Last of the Mohicans" to "Unforgiven."
McGilligan, a very dogged researcher, saw more of an opportunist, a cold, detached user of people and a serial father (it is generally accepted that Clint has had four children out of wedlock, and three within).
Eliot disparages these books: Schickel's is "hopelessly hagiographic," he says, while McGilligan's is "overly cynical." But Eliot draws a great deal of his material from those earlier works.
There is not much here that is new or surprising. And yet, says Eliot, the past decade has been crucial in Eastwood's career and in how we perceive him. In that time, he has given us "Mystic River," "Flags of Our Fathers," "Letters From Iwo Jima," "Changeling" and the forthcoming "Invictus" (Morgan Freeman as Nelson Mandela), not to mention "Million Dollar Baby" and "Gran Torino."
Whatever Eliot thinks, McGilligan's unforgiving book opened up the meanness in Eastwood and his essentially narrow view of life — and McGilligan emerged intact after Eastwood had threatened litigation.
Perhaps he isn't the nicest guy in the world — but he has never made that claim for himself. Eastwood is blue-collar, tough-minded, without many illusions or profound ideas, but a chronic storyteller.
David Thomson/ San Francisco Chronicle

« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 08:39:49 AM by higashimori » Logged

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 04:08:08 PM »

Higashimori, that is the same David Thomson review that you already posted directly from the San Francisco Chronocle, here:

:) 'American Rebel: The Life of Clint Eastwood'

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/11/RVD219U4OA.DTL   

By Marc Eliot
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 06:42:46 AM »

This is a scathing review of American Rebel and a non flattering commentary on Mr. Eastwood in general.

London Telegraph (link)

American Rebel: the Life of Clint Eastwood by Marc Eliot
Anthony Holden takes issue with Marc Eliot's American Rebel: the Life of Clint Eastwood, a starstruck life of the man who graduated from spaghetti westerns to directing Oscar winners.

By Anthony Holden
Published: 6:00AM GMT 24 Nov 2009
El Cigarillo

"Who says I was jokin?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 12:26:53 PM »

One good thing about the author Marc Eliot: he really appreciates Clint's persona and artistry
otherwise the book is mainly a clip-job i.e. quotes from other books and articles.

If you are a newbie i would recommend this to you UNLESS (like me) you are not interested in Clint's romantic affairs

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2009, 05:42:37 AM »

This is a scathing review of American Rebel and a non flattering commentary on Mr. Eastwood in general.

London Telegraph (link)

American Rebel: the Life of Clint Eastwood by Marc Eliot
Anthony Holden takes issue with Marc Eliot's American Rebel: the Life of Clint Eastwood, a starstruck life of the man who graduated from spaghetti westerns to directing Oscar winners.

By Anthony Holden
Published: 6:00AM GMT 24 Nov 2009

I read that review too Dan Dassow and decided not to by the book.  I really don't want to read all the negative things it contains.  I think this will go down with another book about Clint that most of us prefer not to  read....
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T