News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Netflix users ???  (Read 7038 times)
Lena

View Profile Email
« on: March 24, 2009, 01:56:50 PM »

Hey everyone,

i created this topic because im thinking to register to Zip.ca(Canadian version of NetFlix), and i would like to know if some of you are using the service, and what you think about it.

From what i read on the Zip website, the way it works is that, once you register, you create a list of movies you want to see, and they start to ship them to you.

Few of my questions are :

1- Since ALOT of people are ordering/watching/using the dvd's, are they in good condition ??

2- We have to pay every month for the service, i guess its with a CC ?

3- From the website "as soon as the next dvd on your list is AVAILABLE, we ship it to you", my question is... : do they have more than 1 copy ? because, if there's a movie on my list, and that after a month i still didnt receive it, it might feel like a waste of money, of course i wouldnt have only 1 movie on my list, but still...

4- DVD lost in the mail...??  whats going to happend ?

I know thats alot of questions, im going to call and ask them a few questions myself, but, if some of you are using or, already used this service, i would appreciate your feedback.

Thank you very much in advance !!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 02:01:47 PM by Lena » Logged

The Mayor: Well, let's have it.
Callahan: Have what?
The Mayor: Your report! what have you been doing?
Callahan: Oh, well for the past three quarters of an hour I've been sitting on my ass in your outer office waiting on you!
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 04:04:18 PM »

I use Netflix, so I assume Zip works the same way.  (I know the blockbuster site works the same way, too, except it sucks.)

Your questions:

1. I rarely find dvds to be in bad shape.  Netflix seems to be very good about taking dvd's out of circulation once they get scratched up.

2. Yes.

3. They have multiple titles of these movies, yes, but if the next movie in your queue isn't available at that time, they'll ship the next movie that is available.  So you don't have to wait.  Netflix is very good about having enough copies of films that you rarely have situations where there's a wait on titles.  (Blockbuster.com on the otherhand is extremely bad about this.)

4. If a dvd gets lost in the mail, you're okay.  You just go to their site and tell them and you're given a free pass and they'll ship the next movie out.  If it happens several times, then they'll charge you or suspend your account, but surely your mail service isn't that bad.  I sent back two at the same time, and they never arrived back to Netflix, and I didn't have to pay anything.

I'm sure their site has a FAQ section.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Lena

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 02:40:52 PM »

i didnt know that about Blockbuster, we have them over here too, but i dont know if we can have this service, or, maybe(i guess) this service only works trough theyre website, and then, i dont know if we(here) could have the service, anyway, i already have a place where i rent my movies, so its not really important.

**4. If a dvd gets lost in the mail, you're okay.  You just go to their site and tell them and you're given a free pass and they'll ship the next movie out.  If it happens several times, then they'll charge you or suspend your account, but surely your mail service isn't that bad.  I sent back two at the same time, and they never arrived back to Netflix, and I didn't have to pay anything.**

the thing is... if you do not receive a dvd because it was lost in the mail when they sent it.... how can we know ??

When you registered, how long did it take to receive a dvd ? what is the regular wait of time for you ? is there a way to know how many persons are having the same movie on theyre list ?? which plan did you choose ??

thanks for your feedback, i will call them soon.

;)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 02:51:24 PM by Lena » Logged

Callahan: Oh, well for the past three quarters of an hour I've been sitting on my ass in your outer office waiting on you!
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 03:53:59 PM »

the thing is... if you do not receive a dvd because it was lost in the mail when they sent it.... how can we know ??

Because you'll know that dvd should be arriving and it hasn't.  Everytime they ship a dvd, they send you an email with the expected delivery date.  When they receive the dvd, they again send you an email. 

It usually only takes a two or three days to receive a dvd.   When you add a movie to your queue it'll say it's available or if there's a short wait or a long wait.  If zip is as well stocked with dvds as netflix you'll rarely see any wait.

Just sign up already!  ;)  It's easy as pie to cancel anytime you want, change your plan, so on so forth.  And don't they give a free trial period?

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 06:47:51 PM »

I'm sure the length of the wait depends on how close you are to their "DVD depots." Here in New York City, if I send a disc back on Monday, I can normally count on their having received it on Tuesday and then I get the new one on Wednesday. I think once they said they had to get a particular disc from farther away and that time it took two days instead of one.

But like Doug says ... just sign up already, at least for the free trial! :)
Lena

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 02:06:44 PM »

Everytime they ship a dvd, they send you an email with the expected delivery date.  When they receive the dvd, they again send you an email.  = thats good

When you add a movie to your queue it'll say it's available or if there's a short wait or a long wait.  = thats good

KC, ill check theyre main location(if the info is on theyre website, i guess, and hope...lol) a little later, because for now i need to leave, thanks for making me think about that.

alright alright... lol, ill probably try the free trial... ill let you know when ill do it.

thanks very much for the infos and all !  :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 02:11:38 PM by Lena » Logged

Fhil
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 11:29:29 AM »

I have Netflix, I have had absolutely no problems as of yet.
Lena

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 04:48:42 PM »

Good news,

i just received my first dvd ''A perfect Word''.
''City Heat'' is the next one i should receive around April 7.

with the plan i chose for now, i receive 1 dvd at a time, but im thinking to change for 2.

check out some of the options :

Plans Monthly fee 
1 DVD $5.95 (2 dvd per month)
1 DVD Unlimited rental $10.95
2 DVD Unlimited rentals $18.95 

I think that 18.95 is a bit expensive considering the wait for the dvd to arrive... but anyway, i can always change of plan.

of course the dvd is a bit damaged, i just hope it wont skip... i will watch it a little later.

Ill let you know if it plays ok later, and ill give my toughts on the movie at the same time.

My Zip movie list

-Pale Rider

-Any which Way you Can

-Bronco Billy

-Coogan's Bluff

-Every which Way but Loose

-Firefox

-Flags of Our fathers

-Honkytonk Man

-Joe Kidd

-Letters from Iwo Jima

-Paint your Wagon

-Pink Cadillac

-Play Misty for Me

-The Beguiled

-The Bridges of Madison County

-The Eiger Sanction

-The Gauntlet (already saw a part of it - tv)

-Thunderbolt and Lightfoot

-Tightrope

-Two mules For sister Sara

-Where Eagles Dare

« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 05:04:44 PM by Lena » Logged

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 07:17:36 PM »

That's a great list, Lena! Have fun! 8)
Lena

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 01:10:45 PM »

That's a great list, Lena! Have fun! 8)

thanks  :) O0

Lena

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 09:34:37 AM »

My Zip movie list

-Pale Rider

-Any which Way you Can

-Bronco Billy

-Coogan's Bluff

-Every which Way but Loose

-Firefox

-Flags of Our fathers

-Honkytonk Man

-Joe Kidd

-Letters from Iwo Jima

-Paint your Wagon

-Pink Cadillac

-Play Misty for Me

-The Beguiled

-The Bridges of Madison County

-The Eiger Sanction

-The Gauntlet (already saw a part of it - tv)

-Thunderbolt and Lightfoot

-Tightrope

-Two mules For sister Sara

-Where Eagles Dare

i watched them all and more.., just tought i would share this  ;)

now the only movies i still didnt watch are :

"Paint your Wagon", "Coogan's Bluff" and "Kelly's Heroes"

i already watched "In The Line of Fire" but thats a long time ago, so i added it to my list.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 09:41:09 AM by Lena » Logged

Aline

Email
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 10:38:07 AM »

now the only movies i still didnt watch are :

"Paint your Wagon", "Coogan's Bluff" and "Kelly's Heroes"

I like Coogan's Bluff very much, Lena. Among those three movies, I think you should watch it first.
And let us know what you thought :)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 06:10:01 AM »

I just recently started the free month of Netflix, and then as a gift from someone, I'm going to have it paid for for six months. I thought about starting a thread (but saw we did have this thread already) because I was wondering if any Netflix users might have any recommendations for what to watch. There's tons of stuff on there, and I'd like to getting around to watching a lot, but I'm curious because there might be some great stuff on there that I haven't come across in my browsing or might not know about to do a search for.

Like as I was browsing, I was pleased to see that they had some really fun stuff like Frogs (which I have on DVD), Squirm, and The Food of the Gods. I don't know how many others we have on here that like those sort of movies, but in case you do... there you go! ;) :D
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 06:47:29 AM »

Have you got DVD, streaming, or both? ???
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 10:24:40 AM »

Just the streaming.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 12:02:28 PM »

I use "Netflix" streaming more for TV shows than I do movies. I'd recommend checking out "Damages." 4 seasons are on Netflix and when it was on, I thought it was the best show on TV by far. Netflix also has an original series called "House of Cards," with Kevin Spacey, that is pretty good as well. Not as good as "Damages," but still entertaining. Start with those and let me know what you think!
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 03:55:09 PM »

These are all I've either watched recently or have saved:

Fido
Submarine
God Bless America
Charlie Chaplin Collection
Reefer Madness
Warlock
Foxy Brown
Jiro Dreams of Sushi
The Last Man on Earth
Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein
The Lady Vanishes
Going Places
The Naked City
My Name Is Nobody
Chico and Rita
Twin Peaks

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 07:54:09 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions! A few nights ago I watched A Cat in Paris, and was very pleased with it. It's an animated movie about a cat in Paris who spends his days with a little girl, and then at night goes out with a burglar.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2013, 04:28:54 AM »

Coincidentally, A Cat in Paris is the very next disc on my movie queue.  :)

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2013, 11:50:10 AM »

So you get DVDs sent to you as well, Doug? And yeah, that movie was good. I know it was nominated for Best Animated feature for that year.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T