News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Netflix users ???  (Read 6389 times)
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 02:10:56 PM »

I have the two discs at a time plan. There's just not enough films available streaming.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 04:42:14 AM »

Upwards to 2000 titles will no longer be available for streaming on Netflix today (May 1st).  Slate

But they will apparently be adding 500 other films for streaming. Nonetheless, that sounds like a net loss to me (and was that a pun?). I only discovered a couple days ago they had quite a few James Bond movies for streaming, which I added to my queue, and before I could watch any of them, they will be gone.  I did watch A Lady Vanishes (though I'm pretty certain I have on DVD actually) and The Last Man on Earth before they became unavailable for streaming.

The Bed-Sitting Room (1969) and How I Won the War (1967)
A classic and a curiosity from A Hard Day’s Night director Richard Lester. The Bed-Sitting Room is Lester’s commonly acknowledged (though not widely seen) masterpiece, a bleak post-apocalyptic farce in which the Earth’s population has been reduced to a handful of people, some of whom morph into inanimate objects without notice. How I Won the War is best remembered for featuring John Lennon in a small role, but the film centers on Michael Crawford as an inept officer who survives repeated attempts at fragging. Lester described as an “anti-anti-war movie,” a movie opposing the ineffectual cliches of the traditional anti-war movie.

The Bed-Sitting Room
I have not seen...sounds quite intriguing.  (Although if Richard Lester has a commonly acknowledged masterpiece, it would be A Hard Day's Night.)

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 09:28:19 PM »

It looked like a lot of stuff was going to be unavailable now, but I didn't realize they were losing so many and getting so few in return!
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2013, 04:38:35 AM »

It looked like a lot of stuff was going to be unavailable now, but I didn't realize they were losing so many and getting so few in return!

The only way to see The Bed Sitting Room now, and a lot of these movies, is to buy it from Warner Archive for $17 or to subscribe to Warner Archive Instant at $10 a month.  They do offer a free 2 week trial (I'm not sure if there's a limit to what you can watch), but regardless a month or two subscription to watch some of these films might be worth it if you come up with a list of movies otherwise difficult or impossible to see any other way. It almost seems to me they could make more money by bundling them as part of a deal with Netflix. I guess I just don't understand how the economics of this system works. I'm just bummed those Bond movies were lost, and since I can stream Netflix on my TV through the Wii, it's a very convenient arrangement.

I wonder if the Warner Archive Instant can be viewed through Roku... Anybody have Roku? I know it's a little OT, but I've been considering get it.

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2013, 04:47:02 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions! A few nights ago I watched A Cat in Paris, and was very pleased with it. It's an animated movie about a cat in Paris who spends his days with a little girl, and then at night goes out with a burglar.

Oh, I meant to say, I enjoyed A Cat in Paris quite a lot. I ended up watching it streaming, in the English language version, but it might be interesting to see it in French.  I also recommend Chico and Rita, mostly for the soundtrack and animation.  And Christopher, have you seen Fido? I think it would be up your alley. I loved it quite a lot. I also streamed and liked another horror-comedy Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil.

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 07:22:57 AM »

I wonder if the Warner Archive Instant can be viewed through Roku... Anybody have Roku? I know it's a little OT, but I've been considering get it.
I have a Roku but I don't know if Warner Archive Instant is available through it. I'll have to check the Roku store.

Oh, I meant to say, I enjoyed A Cat in Paris quite a lot. I ended up watching it streaming, in the English language version, but it might be interesting to see it in French.  I also recommend Chico and Rita, mostly for the soundtrack and animation.  And Christopher, have you seen Fido? I think it would be up your alley. I loved it quite a lot. I also streamed and liked another horror-comedy Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil.
I think I bought a cheap DVD collection of some movies a while back that had Fido on it, but I haven't seen it yet. I did see that Netflix had Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil, and that's another one I haven't seen but have heard that it's pretty good.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 01:10:27 PM »

If you needed a reason to try out Netflix, look no further.  All three seasons of Arrested Development are available for streaming, and on May 26 they will be making available all 15 episodes of the brand new season 4. Only available from Netflix. I think Arrested Development was the best sitcom of the past dozen years, but was cancelled during their shortened third season, when the show was still at its peak. Now seven years later it's been revived with all the same cast coming back. Can't wait.

I think it's funny all 15 episodes are being released simultaneously. I guess Netflix doesn't understand how TV series are scheduled, but the better for us. The last time I watched the series, I watched all fifty some episodes in a week and a half.

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2013, 03:22:26 AM »

I watched the 15 new episodes of Arrested Development. A great bit of fun. The format is different, as each episode focuses more on a single character's adventures, with the plot lines interwoven in fun and revealing ways.  Without the constraints of fitting into a half-hour format for commercial television, the episodes are longer, from 30 minutes to 37 minutes. I'd say the new season hits its stride about 7 or episodes in, though it never quite reaches the level of the original series. That is probably to be expected.  I think with the different episodes focusing more on one character, the show suffers, because one of the strengths of the original series was the chemistry between the actors.

For fans of the show, a definite recommendation.

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2014, 01:49:37 AM »

I noticed Berberian Sound Studio was available for streaming on Netflix. That was one of Gant's favorite movies. I'd already seen it by other means, but if any members in America were interested in seeing it, now you can.

Jack Reacher was one of my very favorite movies of 2012 and it's available too.  Besides that, I have to say I find Netflix's selection very disappointing. I've come to like being able to choose a movie on my TV while watching the baby without having to go through my DVDs, but the selection is lacking.

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2014, 04:47:48 AM »

I have around 60 movies in My List currently. There seems to be quite a variety between new and old stuff, as well as lesser known things and more popular recent movies. I've been pretty happy with it. I recently started watching the TV show River Monsters on Netflix. A few days ago I watched the first one out of curiosity, and have now watched a couple.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2014, 06:08:21 AM »

I have about 60 items in my queue as well, though many are TV shows that I may or may not get around to watching. I had for a while been watching some episodes of The Rockford Files. There was a biography of Woody Allen I watched, and I watched today a documentary on Ray Harryhausen.  A couple days ago I watched Frances Ha, directed by Noah Baumbach, whom I'm a fan of. On Christmas I watched Fargo, because there it was available for streaming.  I saw they just added The Talented Mr. Ripley, which I'm a big fan of.

Some other notable films available for streaming that I noticed:

The Apartment
There Will Be Blood
Jacky Brown, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs
American Psycho
Once Upon a Time in the West
Joe Kidd (the only Eastwood movie I've noticed)

From my queue:
James and the Giant Peach
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
The Swedish trilogy for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Dead Man
Punch-Drunk Love
The Two Jakes
Jet Li's The Fearless
The General
Nosferatu

A few of those I have on DVD.  So for me, they don't have that much of value. But that's me, I guess. It could certainly be a whole lot better.

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2014, 07:37:10 AM »

I'd noticed some other Eastwood titles currently available like The Eiger Sanction and Two Mules for Sister Sara, and then I just checked again and see that Escape from Alcatraz and Breezy are also on it. I have most of those on DVD, but it is nice to just watch something on there if it's available. Also listed under Eastwood's name is a documentary called Reel Injun, which sounds like it could be interesting.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2014, 07:51:43 AM »

« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 10:11:18 AM by KC » Logged
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2014, 03:04:33 PM »

I'd noticed some other Eastwood titles currently available like The Eiger Sanction and Two Mules for Sister Sara, and then I just checked again and see that Escape from Alcatraz and Breezy are also on it. I have most of those on DVD, but it is nice to just watch something on there if it's available. Also listed under Eastwood's name is a documentary called Reel Injun, which sounds like it could be interesting.

That's good to know. I've never done a search for Eastwood, so Joe Kidd was the only one that had come up ever as a recommendation. I may add those. (I already added Reel Injun.)

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2014, 03:12:47 PM »

I just watched Chocolate, a 2008 Thai martial arts movie from the director of Ong-Bak and The Protector (both starring Tony Jaa), on Netflix. It's about a young autistic girl who learns to fight by watching others do it or through watching movies. There is a scene where she's watching one of those Tony Jaa movies, but I don't remember which it is since it's been a long time since I've seen those. I would definitely recommend it.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2014, 07:50:34 AM »

I watched Hot Cars last night on Netflix and wanted to pass it along as another recommendation. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049334/  It's a 1956 crime movie that only runs about an hour long.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2014, 03:10:47 PM »

People a lot of times talk about all the newer shows they watch on Netflix. Um... lately I've been watching The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries from the late '70s. ;D  It's a fun show. That's one of the funnest things about having Netflix is getting a taste of various shows.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2014, 06:35:14 PM »

People a lot of times talk about all the newer shows they watch on Netflix. Um... lately I've been watching The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries from the late '70s. ;D  It's a fun show. That's one of the funnest things about having Netflix is getting a taste of various shows.

I read the Nancy Drew books as a kid. I didn't even know there was a "Nancy Drew" television series! I have watched old shows too on Netflix. My two favorites are "Columbo" and "The Rockford Files." I know you're a fan of "Columbo" too. I'm not on Netflix now so I don't know if either or both are still available but they are both great series. They just don't make television shows like they used to. In my opinion, nothing on TV today even remotely compares to the quality of either of those shows!   
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2014, 04:10:09 PM »

Yeah, Columbo and The Rockford Files are still on there. After James Garner died, I watched the first few episodes of The Rockford Files since I'd never seen it before. I liked it pretty well.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2016, 01:14:26 AM »

I signed up for Netflix today. The first month is free and then it's $9 a month. It seems very cheap for all the content I have access to. Is there a catch?

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T