News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dirty Harry (1971) Mystery Image  (Read 3692 times)
Christopher Openbrier

View Profile Email
« on: August 27, 2009, 06:00:51 PM »

Hi everyone. I have a question that might be a little hard to understand, but I will try to explain it as best as I can. I was watching the first Dirty Harry movie, and something stuck out at me. When I  watched a  documentary on the  DVD,  they showed an image of Dirty Harry holding Scorpio by his shirt collar with the .44 Magnum held to his head up against the school bus. As I recall from the movie, Harry Jumped on the bus, Scorpio wrecked the bus into that big pile of sand, then bailed out and ran towards the factory. Thy also showed this image on the back of the Dirty Harry VHS box. I never remembered anything about him holding him up against the bus in the movie. ??? Could someone possibly explain this to me?

Thanks  :)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 06:18:54 PM »

Hi, Christopher O. ... that image has to be a still from Dirty Harry. Movie production stills are shot by a "still photographer" and don't necessarily exactly duplicate any shots or camera setups in the movie itself. Especially in the past, when frame captures from the actual film were much harder to come by, stills often documented the photographer's idea of what would make the best or most dramatic still image, as opposed to any actual frame from the movie. (They were of course used in advance publicity for the movie and were released to the press for use in illustrating reviews.)

In some cases, when scenes or situations are shown that don't occur in the finished film, stills can provide evidence of material that was shot, but dropped in the editing process. One example of that would be from Unforgiven. Eastwood shot a final scene showing Munny returning to his children on the pig farm, and stills exist showing a beaten-up, scarred Munny with his kids. But Eastwood decided to cut the scene and the stills are all that remain of it.

In the case of this Dirty Harry still, though, I assume it's just the still photographer being a bit "creative." (I remember wondering about it too, back when I first picked up the VHS of Dirty Harry.)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 10:19:54 PM »

Here's the pic CO was talking about.

I remember seeing it for the first time in the uncut DVD magazine a few years ago and I posted about it here.

I did a search thinking I wouldn't be able to find the post, but I did.  8)

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=5098.msg81677#msg81677

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 10:21:08 PM »

I can confirm that it is indeed a publicity still.

Philo .

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 10:31:17 PM »

Thanks, I'd forgotten all about that thread!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T