News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: GRAN TORINO ON DVD  (Read 8070 times)
icnmedia

Email
« on: April 05, 2009, 01:41:49 PM »

Does anyone know or have heard when this is coming out on dvd? I missed it in the theatres, like an idiot!
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 02:07:07 PM »

The DVD will be released June 9.

THIS link will take you to the post in the Blu-Ray thread, but the info does mention that the DVD will be released on that same day.
JMG

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 07:29:24 PM »

Thanks Christopher. I was wondering the same thing. I'm waiting on the DVD as well, I hope the movie is worthy of a two DVD Special Edition.  :)
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 01:34:22 AM »

I have pre-ordered Gran Torino on DVD from Amazon USA.  They say it will be released on June 9th.
_Clintan_

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 11:00:49 AM »

Thanks Christopher. I was wondering the same thing. I'm waiting on the DVD as well, I hope the movie is worthy of a two DVD Special Edition.  :)

Sorry to be the one to tell you but it will be a 1-disc release, with pretty few & not that great extras IMO. Here are the details:

* Anamorphic Widescreen
* English, French and Spanish DD5.1 Surround
* English, French and Spanish subtitles
* Manning the Wheel: The Meaning of manhood as reflected in American car culture
* Gran Torino: More than a Car – Visit Detroit and the Woodward Dream Cruise, an annual vintage car event where buffs describe the unique bond between men and vehicles

Here's a pic of the cover-art:

I personally can't wait for the DVD to come out, but I'll have to wait until July 22nd for it to come out in Sweden  :(

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 12:50:12 PM »

Those "features" sound like they have nothing whatsoever to do with Gran Torino, the movie. Pity!
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 10:24:48 PM »

Those "features" sound like they have nothing whatsoever to do with Gran Torino, the movie. Pity!

Yes, they seem as if they are added to pad out the DVD.  :(
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 12:15:13 AM »

Ezydvd here in Australia, has it set for release on the 4th of June.

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/805233

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
JMG

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 01:18:27 AM »

Sounds like they're trying to coax us into a double dip. Buy the DVD when it comes out June 9th then buy the Deluxe or Special Edition 2 DVD set a few months later. Not me, I hate these studios.  >:D I'll rent 'Gran Torino' when it comes out then look for the double disc Special Edition down the road. Who do these guys think they're messing with?  O0  ;D
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 03:59:56 PM »

Thanks to a kind soul I have had a DVD screener of the film since December.

Will not be buying the film until they come up with something better than what is listed for June.

In terms of extras Mr Eastwood's dvd's seem to go in the wrong direction.  :(

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 04:05:26 PM »

The Blu-ray will at least have the Eastwood related featurette in addition to the other two. But of course I won't be buying Blu-ray. I wonder why they wouldn't put that on the DVD as well. ???
_Clintan_

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 04:17:05 PM »

The Blu-ray will at least have the Eastwood related featurette in addition to the other two. But of course I won't be buying Blu-ray. I wonder why they wouldn't put that on the DVD as well. ???

Because, and please pardon my french, the jerks are doing everything to increase sales for Bluray in hopes of DVD's future demise. I for one will get the DVD, I'm not switching over to Bluray for a loooong time, never actually, unless I have to.

JMG

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 05:40:23 PM »

I'm not into Blu-ray either. I have no problem with the picture and sound quality provided on standard DVD. It's just another scam by the studios and the electronics corporations designed to rip people off.
_Clintan_

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 06:05:34 PM »

I'm not into Blu-ray either. I have no problem with the picture and sound quality provided on standard DVD. It's just another scam by the studios and the electronics corporations designed to rip people off.

I couldn't agree more. It's not that long ago since DVD took over from VHS, now we're supposed to start over again?  ::)

iconfan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 05:57:23 AM »

The basic sound quality and picture from a DVD at an official place of business?
I have no problem and I can enjoy the film with little complaint

I think it's a shame that many, many folks who buy burned versions of films from Joe Blow on the street (alot of which are out of focus or have the screen tilted or you see a multitude of people getting up to get popcorn or whatever or you hear the laughter (or worse- comments-- of people near the guy filming the movie) feel that they did indeed "see" the film in their home
But then THOSE people arent really concerned about quality, they just want to see the film

Now granted, the bonus features are mostly something for fans who love that kind of thing. Most people on June 9, are just interested in seeing the movie and thats fine. But there are those of us who enjoy the film enough where we want to see it a few more times as soon as we can AND the DVD is the only way to do that and so we, too, will buy it.

But then, to just bring out a version with a second disc that those same fans will have to buy because they want the bonus features too---
well, its just wrong. I for one have been hit by this economy and I can't really afford to buy the DIRECTORS CUT/SPECIAL EDITION/ ANNIVERSARY EDITION/ or whatever they call the second, third and fourth version of the film.

Actually, there are a huge number of people who are investing in higher quality televisions that will lean towards the BluRay format, enough in fact that in another dozen years or so, the DVD will go the way of the VHS tape. Progress is a war where there are many casualties

Anyway, no matter what the format our favorite film are released on, there will always be a studio or two who will see extra cashflow potential in double dipping. Either way, you do get the main thing you are buying: the film. It all depends on how badly you want to see the bonus features
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T