News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: English Pub Question...  (Read 2908 times)
JMG

View Profile Email
« on: April 08, 2009, 07:30:00 PM »

This is a question for our friends in the United Kingdom but anyone can feel free to join in. We had an English Pub open in the area recently and I'd like opinions as to if it really looks authentic and opinions on the food & drink menu. The place does look pretty cool, I'm trying the Fish & Chips for sure. You can visit the website here...

http://hopeandanchorpub.com/
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 08:31:49 PM »

The American flag and the Miller Lite and Coors Light signs really that Old English feel to it.  ;) :P

I'm not from England but that's not what my idea of a "pub" looks like. I'm not knocking the place, I'm sure the atmosphere and food are great and in the end thats all that really matters but it doesn't give me the "English pub" vibe.
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 12:03:30 AM »

The menu is English Pub-like, though I don't know about the looks of the joint.  Holy moly the Upcoming Events page is hilarious; that must never changed.  An Austin Powers party in honor of the Queen is totally absurd, but its marketing genius.

Ok I see, the Queen's night is different from Austin Powers night...Still, their photos being right next to each other make that part of the web-site great.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 12:08:14 AM by Conan » Logged

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 12:12:42 AM »

It looks very much like an American bar to me.. ( and I do love American bars   ;))

It all looks a bit too new.. and we don't really do flags here.. But good luck to em.. a beers a beer and theres no reason why  you wont have a good time there... pub food  in the UK  can be quite poor.. I tend to use them for drinking only...

I remember stumbling into an English pub in San Francisco many years ago that sold real ales and seemed to capture the feel so it can be done..

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
JMG

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 02:59:11 AM »

The 'American' beer advertising is to be expected as it is an American 'English Pub' restaurant/bar and helps pay the rent. I'm more interested in opinions on the food and drink menu. Outside of the Fish & Chips, I've never heard of most of this food.

The building itself goes back to the 1930s and has been recently remodeled. For many years, up until around 2006, was known as The Mayflower Restaurant, a very popular and rather up scale restaurant in the area. I used to take many of my dates there (said the spider to the fly  ;)). Anyway, it looks like it might be a fun place. Keep the comments coming.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 10:16:58 AM »

It looks very much like an American bar to me.. ( and I do love American bars   ;))

It all looks a bit too new.. and we don't really do flags here.. But good luck to em.. a beers a beer and theres no reason why  you wont have a good time there... pub food  in the UK  can be quite poor.. I tend to use them for drinking only...

I remember stumbling into an English pub in San Francisco many years ago that sold real ales and seemed to capture the feel so it can be done..

I have to agree with you Gant.    Having been in pubs in the USA and of course the UK I don't really think it is VERY English.   The food looks OK though and they are offering Guiness.    However I have never seen a barmaid dressed like that in a UK pub and I have been in many.   :D
JMG

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 02:55:47 PM »

I have to agree with you Gant.    Having been in pubs in the USA and of course the UK I don't really think it is VERY English.   The food looks OK though and they are offering Guiness.    However I have never seen a barmaid dressed like that in a UK pub and I have been in many.   :D

I was wondering about the way the barmaids were dressed as well, Lin. :o  If you go to a pub around here barmaids are dressed in casual attire. I don't know where they came up with that idea, apparently it is NOT authentic.  :D

I wish them well, it takes guts to open a new business in the present bad economy. Many national chain restaurants are closing their doors and many business' are dying a slow death.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 12:38:00 AM »

It also looks a little too open and bright to be a traditional London boozer..

Heres a pub in Kensington that I've drunk in that looks pretty much like a traditional English/London pub..

Anyway... I agree JMG.. Good luck to them, I hope it's a success.. and they do serve Guiness.. which we all know originated in London.. I'd happily go there for a few pints and kick all your ass's on the pool table..  ;) ;D

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
JMG

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 03:17:57 PM »

It also looks a little too open and bright to be a traditional London boozer..

Heres a pub in Kensington that I've drunk in that looks pretty much like a traditional English/London pub..

Anyway... I agree JMG.. Good luck to them, I hope it's a success.. and they do serve Guiness.. which we all know originated in London.. I'd happily go there for a few pints and kick all your ass's on the pool table..  ;) ;D

Actually Gant, the pub in your picture looks a lot like many bars/pubs here in Rockford. It reminds me of Main Street Tap in the North End Square, been there for ages. I've been tossing back a few brews there for years. One pool table, darts, the food menu is limited, sandwiches and pizza. More of a drinking establishment than a restaurant. A good place to have a few drinks with friends. There used to be a bartender there named Gus, a grumpy old guy with a flat top hair cut, looked like he might have been in the Marines back in World War II. I about took a swing at him a time or two myself.  :D  ;D
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 07:49:45 AM »

It needs more dark woodwork decorations in the rooms and more bacon in the menu.

Then it would kinda remind me of the Prince George pub in Fleet.
While it's a more modern pub, it's the one I usually visit when I'm in England to visit my friends who live there.
While they do need to go the extra (or several) miles to get it just right, at least it's good to see some people trying something different. Nowadays all the bars that are reopening seems to be sportsbars, so the best of luck to them  O0

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T