News: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood: now on disc and streaming!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clint flicks I missed. No apologies  (Read 6413 times)
El Cigarillo

"Who says I was jokin?"

View Profile Email
« on: May 13, 2009, 02:46:30 PM »

There is only one actor i can honestly say "i never miss one  of his films".
But, there are a handful I just could not bring myself to watch:

CITY HEAT - I was really looking forward to to this but everybody said it was a totAL disaster, even Clint fans.
ANY WHICH WAY YOU CAN- I saw the first one. One orangutan movie was enough.
THE ROOKIE - Clint reduced to starring in a buddy-cop flick!? Too embarrassing to contemplate.
THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY - Hey! My name is Bruce, not Brenda!
TRUE CRIME - Innocent man on death row with time running out - too hackneyed (same with Clint's character)

Considerin'all the films he has made that is a pretty good percentage.
Feel free to tell me i missed out on a good film from my list.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 12:50:05 PM by bruce marshall » Logged

Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 05:28:27 PM »

I personally love Any Which Way You Can and True Crime grew on me the 2nd time I saw it. The Rookie is a fun movie but not one of his best. I still need to watch The Bridges Of Madison County even though I need to.  I hated City Heat. It was just awful. If you could muscle Pink Cadillac or Blood Work, you should watch these others besides City Heat.

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
Aline

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 05:31:24 PM »

Hey, bruce.

I think movies depends on the mood you are in. I've enjoyed "bad" movies and disliked praised ones. Don't make previous judgements before you've really watched them ;)

I'd recommend you The Rookie for some reasons - my fellow citizen Sonia Braga is in it and she is great, so is the late Raul Julia. Ignore possible bad reviews and watch it. It's an entertaining, fun movie.

The Bridges of Madison County is very good too but if you're not a romantic person, don't watch it ;)

I'm not going to argue with you about the other ones. I can't stand the Clyde movies either :P
Clint Eastwood Fan

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »

Any Which Way You Can and True Crime were pretty good.  I thought Bridges was kind of boring.   I agree about City Heat and the Rookie being on the bottom of the list.  They still have some good things in them but compared to Clint's other movies, they were pretty weak.

"Sometimes you have to lose before you can win."

From Ambush at Cimarron Pass
herofan

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 04:22:41 AM »

True Crime grew on me the 2nd time I saw it.

Same here; I'm that way with several of Clint's movies from the 90s and don't know why.  Maybe he changed his style a bit and it took me a while to adjust.  Honestly, I wasn't all that crazy about "Unforgiven" the "first" time I saw it, but after a second viewing, I've loved it ever since.
Clint Eastwood Fan

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 05:32:20 AM »

I personally love Any Which Way You Can and True Crime grew on me the 2nd time I saw it. The Rookie is a fun movie but not one of his best. I still need to watch The Bridges Of Madison County even though I need to.  I hated City Heat. It was just awful. If you could muscle Pink Cadillac or Blood Work, you should watch these others besides City Heat.

I must be one of the few that liked Pink Cadillac.  I'm not saying it was a  great  movie but I did think it was funny and I had a good time watching it.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 05:33:23 AM by Clint Eastwood Fan » Logged

"Sometimes you have to lose before you can win."

From Ambush at Cimarron Pass
El Cigarillo

"Who says I was jokin?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »

I must be one of the few that liked Pink Cadillac.  I'm not saying it was a  great  movie but I did think it was funny and I had a good time watching it.

I enjoyed it also.

El Cigarillo

"Who says I was jokin?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 12:46:11 PM »

I personally love Any Which Way You Can ...

Ya know, i am not sure i didn't see it.
Is there one memorable scene i would remember?

El Cigarillo

"Who says I was jokin?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 12:49:38 PM »

Same here; I'm that way with several of Clint's movies from the 90s and don't know why.  Maybe he changed his style a bit and it took me a while to adjust.  Honestly, I wasn't all that crazy about "Unforgiven" the "first" time I saw it, but after a second viewing, I've loved it ever since.

somehow i doubt that TC is in the same class as UNFORGIVEN :)

herofan

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 03:23:14 PM »

My first experience with "Every Which Way But Loose" and "Any Which Way You Can" when they first came out was as a kid, and I always categorized them as about the same;  I like them both.  I remember as a kid, I didn't care which one came on tv; I liked them equally.   Maybe I've never analyzed them as an adult, but I still don't see much difference.    "Any Which Way.." is more Clint, fighting, monkey, motorcycle gang, grandma, Orville, etc.  I thought "Any Which Way..." went a little over the top with the Gang this time, but otherwise, both are good.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 06:04:49 PM »

Ya know, i am not sure i didn't see it.
Is there one memorable scene i would remember?

Yes, the "big fight" at the end, Clint and William Smith going at it with bare knuckles for around about twenty minutes, or so it seems.
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 10:40:10 PM »

Yes, the "big fight" at the end, Clint and William Smith going at it with bare knuckles for around about twenty minutes, or so it seems.

I was about to talk about that fight KC but you beat me to it.  :)

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
El Cigarillo

"Who says I was jokin?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 01:36:06 PM »

didn't the first one end with a fight also?
and, does Clint let him win in CAN so he wont be challenged anymore (like the "fastest gun"')?

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 08:33:23 PM »

didn't the first one end with a fight also?
and, does Clint let him win in CAN so he wont be challenged anymore (like the "fastest gun"')?

That's correct. The fight that ends the second film is quite different, though. The two men have met and accept each other as equals ... almost as friends. So why do they still fight? Well ... I'm not going to tell you that, just in case you might take a yen to see it some day. ;)
El Cigarillo

"Who says I was jokin?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 01:21:10 PM »

... I'm not going to tell you that, just in case you might take a yen to see it some day. ;)

"that's not gonna happen"*

*ALTHOUGH, YOU NEVER KNOW:)

Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 04:03:49 PM »

"that's not gonna happen"*

*ALTHOUGH, YOU NEVER KNOW:)

I would recommend it Bruce. The fight at the end is one of the best fight's that you will see in a movie. O0

El Cigarillo

"Who says I was jokin?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 11:28:54 AM »

Still not sure if I saw it or not.
At that time I NEVER missed a Clint film

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 02:25:10 PM »

But, there are a handful I just could not bring myself to watch:

CITY HEAT - I was really looking forward to to this but everybody said it was a totAL disaster, even Clint fans.
ANY WHICH WAY YOU CAN- I saw the first one. One orangutan movie was enough.
THE ROOKIE - Clint reduced to starring in a buddy-cop flick!? Too embarrassing to contemplate.
THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY - Hey! My name is Bruce, not Brenda!
TRUE CRIME - Innocent man on death row with time running out - too hackneyed (same with Clint's character)

Considerin'all the films he has made that is a pretty good percentage.
Feel free to tell me i missed out on a good film from my list.
My favorite from your list is The Bridges of Madison County. I think it's one of Clint's best performances. I would say the others are worth a viewing. City Heat has potential, but doesn't quite follow through. It's been a long time since I've seen Any Which Way You Can. I do believe the first one is better. The Rookie is kinda fun. I've always enjoyed seeing Eastwood and Sheen together in it. I've only seen True Crime one time, and remember thinking it was okay as well.
-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 06:50:42 AM »

From that list, I really like The Bridges Of Madison County (not a surprise, I'm a romantic person), Any Which Way You Can (entertaining) and True Crime (to me, it was a touching movie).

Movies I have seen and didn't like very much;
- White Hunter Black Heart. Started to watch it, didn't watch it through. I was tired, though..
- City Heat. Saw once, didn't really make any kind of impression on me.
- Play Misty For Me. I have it on dvd, only saw it once. Didn't impress me much.

I would like to see every one of his movies at least once. Even those that are not that appreciated. I don't want to judge before seeing myself.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 07:23:54 AM by -satu- » Logged

Could anyone else have seen the beauty of it?
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 07:40:46 AM »

- White Hunter Black Heart. Started to watch it, didn't watch it through. I was tired, though..

This one is a more subtle flick and not designed for a tired mind, and also might require some background knowledge on John Huston to be fully enjoyed.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T