News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Neil Armstrong film project (Clint Eastwood was once attached to this)  (Read 8897 times)
Xichado
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 12, 2003, 08:58:06 AM »

This is from Yahoo News (here)

After teaming with Warner Bros. on 2000's "Space Cowboys," the actor-producer-director has now acquired feature film rights to Pulitzer Prize-nominated historian James R. Hansen's authorized biography of astronaut Neil Armstrong.

Eastwood will produce and direct the film for Warner Bros. via his Warner-based production shingle Malpaso but will not star in the adaptation, which has yet to find a screenwriter.

The book, titled "First Man: A Life of Neil A. Armstrong," traces Armstrong's career from his time as a Korean War fighter pilot through his experiences in the American space program and his historic place as the first person to set foot on the moon.

Hansen, who has the exclusive rights to Armstrong's story, is expected to complete the book in late 2004.
Eastwood is in post-production for Warner Bros. on "Mystic River," a crime drama based on Dennis Lehane's bestselling novel. That film, produced and directed by Eastwood, stars Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, Kevin Bacon, Laurence Fishburne, Marcia Gay Harden and Laura Linney.

"Millions of people watched Neil Armstrong step out onto the moon's surface, and millions more have seen those images since the event happened," Eastwood said. "However, Armstrong himself is a very enigmatic person. James Hansen's book examines the life of a private man who shared a profound experience with the entire world; it's a story that I think would make an interesting movie."

8)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2003, 09:03:35 AM by Xichado » Logged

"I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way." Carl Sandburg
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2003, 09:15:37 AM »

Hansen, who has the exclusive rights to Armstrong's story, is expected to complete the book in late 2004.

So I take it that we've got a few years before the movie, huh?

It does sound interesting, though.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2003, 08:32:36 PM »

Who cares how long we away it is, at least we know Eastwood is back directing/producing wise, with another film.
ajay

man with no name

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2003, 10:04:48 PM »

would have appreciated more if the man was acting in it.

rowdyyates
little_bill
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2003, 08:50:28 AM »

he wouldn't have much of a role in the film though, i think nightwing hit it on the head, we're just happy that there's more to come. :)

He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.- Groucho Marx
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2003, 11:32:36 AM »

??? It sounds like a difficult book to adapt for a movie, though.

Man boards plane. Man flies plane. Man lands plane.

(repeat numerous times, in planes flying at increasing speeds and height above earth, until ... )

Man boards rocket ship. Man flies in space. Man lands on moon. Man walks on moon ...

Would Clint be able to recycle some of the footage from the end of Space Cowboys?

Anyway, as Nightwing said, I'm just glad to hear he's got another project lined up.
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2003, 12:44:30 PM »

was neil armstrong ever replaced by a monkey ;D

england -  its flag the St George flag
honkbalbeer

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2003, 05:40:12 AM »

My hubby found the news in a dutch paper at work via the Internet and he called me here at home. Ain't he sweet to do so?

Heidi
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2003, 10:21:32 PM »

Welcome to the board, honkbalbeer! :)

This story was reported on the front page of our local newspaper around here today. I wonder what took them so long to finally report on it. After all, Armstrong is from Ohio!
ajay

man with no name

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2003, 09:02:48 PM »

he wouldn't have much of a role in the film though, i think nightwing hit it on the head, we're just happy that there's more to come. :)
i am sure there is a lot clint can do in that movie,well he could be the man incharge of the mission or somebody at the station supervising the flight,i mean clint in a movie makes a lot of difference.

rowdyyates
badguy

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2003, 04:01:23 AM »

I hope he does take a role for himself in the film, even a minor one, like he did in A Perfect World.  

davytriumph
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2003, 04:57:46 AM »

This sounds very interesting:-

http://www.azreporter.com/entertainment/news/armstrongfilm.html

What do you all make of this?

"Theres three dollars, including the tip"
EwFan62

Bill

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2003, 05:39:05 AM »

Sounds very interesting is right and it is an Eastwood project so that is good. Still, I wish he'd get back "in the saddle" just one more time. :)

Gunman: "You look just like a scarecrow."      Sartana: "I am your pallbearer." - ...IF YOU MEET SARTANA, PRAY FOR YOUR DEATH
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2003, 06:24:10 AM »

I agree it sounds good, but I would like to see Clint in a  film rather than directing only .

Philo .
« Last Edit: April 24, 2003, 06:24:34 AM by philo » Logged

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
davytriumph
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2003, 06:49:03 AM »

:'( As much as it`s an alarming thought,  "Blood Work" may be his last performance.  I really hope not.

He has hinted strongly in the past that he would stop acting and concentrate on producing and directing only. Alas, that day must be drawing closer.

Maybe, fingers crossed,  he will play a small role in this new film.

davytriumph
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2003, 07:00:27 AM »

Sorry guys,

I`ve just found an article about this elsewhere on the board.

I do apologise.

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2003, 07:52:29 AM »

No problem Davy! Here's where you can find the other thread: http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=611

You did get me a little excited though, Davy. I thought we were talking about a NEW Clint project that he was planning on before this, one that he may actually STAR in. It's okay, though. That was just my mind wanting to believe that he was starring in another film soon.
Blu

Would you like some of Bill Carson's tobacco too ?

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2003, 11:48:10 AM »

....Well, with the finished manuscript not due until late 2004, he has time for another project in between.  Hopefully, one that he stars in....Blu.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's rainin'[/b]...."
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2003, 05:16:59 PM »

Yes, he DOES have time for another project. I'm hoping he'll do one that he will star in, but maybe he wants to take a long break and not do anything between now and 2005 in terms of movies. I hope there will be a new project in between, but there hasn't been anything announced so I'd kind of doubt it. I'm hoping! Act Clint! Act! Your fans want to see you!
Cindy

"There's nothin' like a nice piece of hickory!"

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2003, 09:34:16 AM »

Yes, I am also hoping he has a role in this new film! For the past 15 years, Eastwood has used his age as an advantage in movies! LOVE THAT!!! :D I am beyond sick to death of the Hollywood youth. To me they have little to say. Sages, such as Clint, have much to say and we have much to learn from their creativity!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T