News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Netflix users ???  (Read 12055 times)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2018, 12:58:58 AM »

Ha... I often feel that way too..

I was talking to a girl backing singer I was working with recently and I asked her if she could go anywhere back in time where would she travel to.. She said the 80's..

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #101 on: October 07, 2018, 12:12:36 PM »

I just finished watching "The Keepers." I enjoyed it and thought it was a very engrossing documentary. The events that it depicts are so outrageous that I am kind of speechless about how the Catholic Church handled this. It was incredibly upsetting. I'll also never understand how anyone could sexually abuse children, especially when the men that are doing so claim to be a man of God. No God could every justify or condone such behavior, and I can't understand how these men could rationalize this kind of abuse. The worst part of it all was likely the emotional abuse that was part of the grooming process. Making the children feel like they were bad people and that they needed to be cleansed through having sexual relations with priests to promote some manufactured spiritual catharsis is so disgusting. I honestly do not understand how anyone could do any of these things and live with themselves. I was also disappointed that the central mystery of who killed Cathy was never resolved. Thanks for the recommendation, Gant.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2018, 04:12:44 PM »

Your welcome.... Great doc but very harrowing...

Am currently working my way thru The Haunting of Hill House..

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2018, 06:48:32 PM »

I just finished The Keepers also. My feelings are the same as what AKA wrote: angry that these priests can do what they do to children, and that it is hidden, and the priests are moved around from one parish or school to another but not banished from the priesthood. Maybe it has to do with Catholics believing that you can basically commit any sin, and if you ask forgiveness, you are cleansed of it.  I can't recall if it's part of the script of Spotlight, or something I read after watching that film, but some men become priests specifically so they can have access to children, and be above suspicion. And then, in this case as was true in the cases in Boston shown in Spotlight, even the courts and law enforcement were protecting the abusers and the Catholic Church. It's infuriating. Watching this, seeing the District Attorney defending that no charges had been brought against Joseph Maskell, even with all the corroboration and evidence that they had, it's just awful. I really have seen so much over the past five or ten years that's destroyed my faith in our justice system. If you have money and power, you can get away with murder. Literally.

As an adult, I went through the RCIA program to become a Catholic and got along well with the head priest. I enjoyed having deep discussions about religion, faith, lack of faith, and a million other things that are topics that I love discussing, but most people don't.  Obviously he enjoyed the conversations too, because he opened up and our conversations were very honest and open. So one of my questions was why can't you get married. Of course, the answer is that priests are married -- they're married to God.  So follow up question -- what do you do about sexual drive?  The answer "Pray.  And if that doesn't work, you take care of business yourself."  So that's not a sin then?  "No, we ARE human. We do the best we can." Some other interesting tidbits of our conversations:  Do you take the whole Bible literally, because I can't get on board with this Jonah living inside the whale bit. It's metaphorical, right? Answer;  "No. God wrote the Bible, and every word of it is literal and true."  Even Jonah? "Yes! If God wanted him to live inside a whale, he could because all things are possible with God."  Okay.  And what about communion. We're just pretending to take the body and blood of Christ right?  "No! They become the actual body and blood of Christ. There is no pretending."  I could never believe these ideas, but I really loved learning about other people do.

A few months later, one of the priests was no longer at the church, and I'll never forget my naivete at the time, because I asked about him leaving, and the same priest actually admitted to me, privately of course, that he was accused of being too close to some of the children of the parish. So, he had to quickly make arrangements to have him moved back to the Philippines.  His disgust with the situation wasn't with the priest, it was with the parents making the accusations.  Now, looking back, I remember that conversation. I have friends who attend that same church (the head priest is now long gone) and their children go there, and their son who is just about 13 years old wants to be an alter boy and they are so proud that he wants to be more involved in their church. I don't know how anyone could trust a child to be involved in the Catholic church anymore. I'm glad I took the classes, and learned about Catholicism. I do not consider myself a Catholic any longer. Faith has always been an issue, and always will be. But the religion itself seems "unnatural". Nothing about it feels right.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2018, 04:15:20 AM »

Just watched The Christmas Chronicles starring Kurt Russell as Santa Claus. Great Christmas film. Yes it's aimed at kids but there's some great moments in this film. Mainly from watching Santa trying to convince the police he's who he really is.

And check out the jailhouse jam session, with a cameo from Steven Van Zant on guitar.

5/5.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2018, 09:08:04 AM »

I am liking "Ozark." I just finished the second season. I hope there are more! If you like "Breaking Bad," you'll likely enjoy "Ozark." Anyone else watch it?
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2018, 06:25:07 AM »

QUINCY

Very good documentary about this legendry musician/producer..

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2018, 02:53:54 PM »

Looking forward to seeing Springsteen On Broadway this weekend. I wonder if Brendan went and saw the show live?

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #108 on: December 13, 2018, 05:46:15 AM »

The Coen brothers latest film is only available through Netflix at this point. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs got a very brief run in the theatre and at the Venice film festival (where it won an award for best screenplay). I like it quite a bit, though it certainly doesn't rank among their top films. It's a western anthology, with six tales of the old west, ranging from comedic absurdity to deeply disturbing fatalism, and the order of the six stories (a couple no more than vignettes) forms its own thematic arc.

I would be curious what non-fans of the Coens think of it, and particularly fans of westerns. It's definitely not for everyone, but I do recommend giving it a try. And there a few actors who've worked with Clint, notably Saul Rubinek and Tyne Daly riding together in a stagecoach at the end.

Other Netflix exclusives include the finished version of Orson Wells' The Other Side of the Wind, which I'm going to check out, even though I'm not much of a fan of his, and what looks to be a very fascinating documentary called Shirkers.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2019, 03:07:10 AM »

New "interactive" episode of Black Mirror dropped.. Anyone see it ? Thoughts ?
Personally I found it a little underwhelming...

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2019, 02:44:34 PM »

It used to be renovating shows now it seems to be decluttering shows are the in thing and Iím hooked. Last year we watched becoming minimalist this year Consumed and Tidying Up with Marie Kondo.

I have so much stuff and no need for most of it, itís all going. Selling, donation, whatever it takes. 😎

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2019, 03:45:01 PM »

Maybe I should check out some of those shows--I was just thinking today I need to get rid of a bunch of stuff from my apartment. Whenever I move I'll end up getting rid of plenty of stuff, so might as well do that beforehand.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2019, 08:46:14 PM »

It used to be renovating shows now it seems to be decluttering shows are the in thing and Iím hooked. Last year we watched becoming minimalist this year Consumed and Tidying Up with Marie Kondo.

I have so much stuff and no need for most of it, itís all going. Selling, donation, whatever it takes. 😎

When you're through, come on up here and declutter my apartment! ;)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2019, 08:59:30 PM »

When you're through, come on up here and declutter my apartment! ;)

;D ;D

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #114 on: Yesterday at 02:39:48 AM »

Currently enjoying
YOU
on Netflix..very good so far..

Also... Star Trek is back. Really enjoyed the first series.. excellent cast and writing..
First episode of season 2 bodes well..

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T