News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2019 Movie Discussion  (Read 2527 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2019, 06:45:59 PM »

so cool to see one of my fave  actors "William Smith" shown in a brief scene from C.C and Company..

You don't mean Any Which Way You Can William Smith, do you? I don't see him on the credits, and definitely didn't notice him.

It's playing in an Imax theater too, so I'm going to see it one more time -- three viewings, three formats.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2019, 10:36:36 PM »

I certainly do, It's shown briefly in preview in the cinema scene as Sharon Tate takes her seat to watch her own performance in the Dean Martin flick The Wrecking Crew..
I'd read before hand on his face book page he makes a brief appearance.

I can't wait to see it again.. I may go again soon.. I think it's a film that will definitely reward with repeated viewings..

I loved how all the car engines were so loud on the soundtrack, reminded me a bit of bullet...
That Great Escape bit was awesome too. And I loved those mocked up European movies and posters..  So much to enjoy..

« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 11:02:57 PM by Gant » Logged

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2019, 09:06:07 AM »

I certainly do, It's shown briefly in preview in the cinema scene as Sharon Tate takes her seat to watch her own performance in the Dean Martin flick The Wrecking Crew..

I'd read before hand on his face book page he makes a brief appearance.

Cool. Then there's a minimum of three "Clint Connections" in this film (Leonardo of course and Bruce Dern). Am I missing any others?

I can't wait to see it again.. I may go again soon.. I think it's a film that will definitely reward with repeated viewings..

I loved how all the car engines were so loud on the soundtrack, reminded me a bit of bullet...
That Great Escape bit was awesome too. And I loved those mocked up European movies and posters..  So much to enjoy..

I'm crazy about this film. Just talking about it here makes me need to see it again. I'm visiting a friend next month in Philly and she hasn't seen it, so I was going to wait until then and see it again with her, but now I really want to see the IMAX version ... and now. i can't remember enjoying a movie THIS MUCH in a very long time. (And this coming from someone who really loved The Mule.)  But, it's a totally different type of film. It's complete sensory entertainment, and an ending that I can't discuss here, but was just off the charts awesome. Tarantino movies are events. And this is maybe my favorite of his? Or in the very least, right up there with Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction. But even while thinking of how much I enjoyed those movies, at this point I'd say I enjoyed Once Upon a Time in Hollywood the most.

I've been rewatching all Tarantino's films since seeing this, and will be updating the Tarantino Films thread with a new list. While some of his movies do get better with repeated viewings, others are losing some of their initial charm. This one seems to get better.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2019, 07:57:05 PM »

I'm currently re watching Kill Bill, when I'm done I'm going to re watch Django then maybe Basterds.

I loved The Mule also...

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2019, 11:11:30 PM »

Can we discuss the awesomeness of OUATIH yet ? :)

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2019, 10:29:33 PM »

I don't think so.  :-X
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2019, 09:49:34 AM »

A few days ago I went to see The Angry Birds Movie 2. I'd seen the first one, which was an okay movie, so I didn't know what to expect from this one. It's a lot funnier than I would have guessed! Probably the funniest movie I've seen in a while.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2019, 12:03:20 PM »

There is not a single movie out right now that I want to see.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2019, 07:16:00 AM »

I quite like the look of Joker

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2019, 02:33:49 PM »

I watched Rambo: Last Blood last Friday on opening day. I liked the incredibly violent action sequence at the end, but there's some definite script issues. First Blood was such a good movie that no sequels were ever necessary. But at the same time Rambo: First Blood Part II is the epitome of classic '80s action movies, and was, in fact, the first Rambo movie I ever saw as a kid. That one is easily the best of the sequels.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2019, 10:33:32 PM »

Joker....

Wow, that was dark and brutal with a brilliant central performance by Joaquin Phoenix.
Intense and uncomfortable with a focus on realism.. Amazing cinematography. Gotham never looked so grim..
Echo's of Taxi Driver, King of Comedy and Death Wish.. Awesome score and some darkly comic moments.. I'm still reeling..
Loved it !!

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2019, 11:49:20 PM »

Not sure if this will be shown outside of Australia but it was a very enjoyable film about Michelle Payne, the first female jockey to win the Melbourne Cup.

4/5.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2019, 09:07:08 PM »

Joker....

Wow, that was dark and brutal with a brilliant central performance by Joaquin Phoenix.
Intense and uncomfortable with a focus on realism.. Amazing cinematography. Gotham never looked so grim..
Echo's of Taxi Driver, King of Comedy and Death Wish.. Awesome score and some darkly comic moments.. I'm still reeling..
Loved it !!

I can't get over how fantastic this movie is. It really blew me away. Bad news for Brad Pitt and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood because I don't see how anyone other than Joaquin Phoenix wins Best Actor. This movie is an instant legend. Iconic stairs scene. Gonna have to see this one again soon.

On another note, I think everyone who really wanted to see OUATIH has seen it by now and we can discuss it in further depth either here or in the Quentin Tarantino thread.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2019, 11:36:54 PM »

Totally agree Matt... What a performance. Outstanding.
I gotta see it again soon....
This is shaping up to be a great year. Us, Joker and OUATIH for me....

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2019, 08:38:52 AM »

Neither Once Upon a Time in Hollywood or Joker especially interested me based on their trailers, but I've heard some good things about both. So maybe I'll check out Joker while it's still in theaters.

I saw the new version of The Addams Family yesterday and was a bit disappointed with it. I'd been looking forward to it, but the movie is no where near as good as the original TV show or the movies from the early '90s. This new one is just OK at best.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2019, 11:36:31 AM »

I was thinking of seeing Joker but have heard it's very depressing. Great acting but depressing. That's how I felt about A Star Is Born a couple of years ago.

I came out of the theater so depressed. I go to the cinema to be entertained but that film sucker punched me.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2019, 09:42:53 AM »

I was thinking of seeing Joker but have heard it's very depressing. Great acting but depressing. That's how I felt about A Star Is Born a couple of years ago.

I came out of the theater so depressed. I go to the cinema to be entertained but that film sucker punched me.

Hmmm..... depressing? Okay, it's dark, but to me I left the theater on a high just because it was so great. I only get depressed when I go see a movie and pay for expensive tickets, food/drinks and then the movie blows. A great story never depresses me.

I was in South Florida when seeing this movie and the theater there had tables with 5 seats each. It was a small theater, and only TWO tables in the whole place were just the perfect distance to the screen. There was an old man in front of us at the ticket counter, and sure enough, he got one of the only good tables (the other was taken). Not having been to that theater before, I didn't know if people joined other tables, or if that table was only for him. So I asked if we could sit with him, and he invited us. This guy was somewhere between 75 and 85 years old, and he LOVED it. We sat and talked with him after, and we couldn't get over how REALISTIC a movie about THIS CHARACTER could be, and how great the performance was. So, depressed is the last thing any of us were feeling -- we were stoked that it was just so great.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2019, 09:52:17 AM »

One other thing about Joker -- this isn't a superhero film, and it doesn't feel like a comic book. Like Gant mentioned above, it's more comparable to movies like Taxi Driver or The King of Comedy. I went in expected an entertaining superhero villain film, but got one of the best character driven dramas I've ever seen.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #58 on: Yesterday at 05:50:41 AM »

Totally with you on this Matt... I loved it.  Depressing no, mesmerising yes...

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T