News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Celebrity Obituary Thread  (Read 198762 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2010, 06:41:13 AM »

Eric Rohmer, the great French film director, died on Monday at the age of 89.

The Times obituary:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/12/movies/12rohmer.html

And an appraisal from Times critic A.O. Scott:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/13/movies/13rohmer.html

R.I.P.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2010, 01:38:36 AM »

I read this on Tuesday in one of the papers and I remembered seeing one of his movies,  The Lady and the Duke  I was a bit surprised by it.

RIP
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2010, 03:37:27 AM »

The most independant Film Director, I like his films very much,  beautiful and intimistic ones ...
I loved "Perceval Le Gallois", seen on screen when I was 15 ... in 1978, with my French teacher and friends ... the beginning for me to my long passion for Middle Ages stories, Chevaliers De La Table Ronde (Knights Of The Round Table)

RIP Monsieur Rohmer
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 03:39:34 AM by Sylvie » Logged

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2010, 05:50:37 PM »

R.I.P.   Rest in peace Mr. ROHMER. 

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2010, 08:27:38 PM »

Robert B. Parker, R.I.P.

"The name's Spenser, with an 'S', like the poet."
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2010, 06:43:10 AM »

A prolific writer.   

R.I.P.
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2010, 05:42:30 PM »

" Actress Jean Simmons dies in California "

" British actress Jean Simmons, who starred opposite Laurence Olivier in "Hamlet" during a career spanning 60 years, has died in California, Los Angeles Times reported on Saturday.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20100123/tts-uk-simmons-ca02f96.html

Simmons, who was 80 and had lung cancer, died at her home in Santa Monica on Friday night, it quoted her agent Judy Page as saying.

Born in London, Simmons started acting in films as a teenager and later moved to the United States to star in movies such as the 1955 musical "Guys and Dolls" with Marlon Brando and Frank Sinatra, and Stanley Kubrick's "Spartacus" with Kirk Douglas in 1960.

Simmons won a best supporting actress Oscar nomination for playing Ophelia in "Hamlet" in 1948 and a best actress nomination for her role in "The Happy Ending" -- a 1969 film directed by her second husband Richard Brooks.

Her marriage to Brooks ended in divorce in 1977. She married Brooks in 1960, months after divorcing actor Stewart Granger.

"As a 14-year-old dance student she was plucked from her school to play Margaret Lockwood's precocious sister in 'Give Us the Moon' (1944)," according to a biography of the actress on IMDb.COM movies website.

Simmons "made a comeback to films in 1995 in 'How to Make an American Quilt' co-starring Winona Ryder and Anne Bancroft, and most recently played the elderly Sophie in the English version of Hayao Miyazaki's 'Hauru no ugoku shiro'," a 2004 animated film, according to IMDb.COM.

Simmons is survived by her two daughters, Tracy Granger and Kate Brooks, Los Angeles Times said. She lived in Santa Monica with her pets, a dog and two cats, according to IMDb.COM.

(Reporting by Mohammad Zargham; Editing by Janet Lawrence)

Rest in peace Simmons . :(

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2010, 07:00:47 PM »

Robert B. Parker, R.I.P.

"The name's Spenser, with an 'S', like the poet."

Loved reading the Spenser novels in high school...
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2010, 07:03:50 PM »

He was still writing 'em until recently ... I picked one up at the drugstore last year that was published in 2006. He was a good writer ... for a Red Sox fan. ;)
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2010, 07:14:39 PM »

He was a good writer ... for a Red Sox fan. ;)

;D
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2010, 07:14:57 PM »

Teddy Pendergrass  RIP...

Thousands mourn Teddy Pendergrass

I really liked If You Don't Know Me By Now.

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2010, 03:46:12 AM »

Sad news about Jean Simmons.   I liked her very much.

Also Teddy  Pendergrass.

My they both Rest In Peace.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2010, 05:19:51 AM »

Yeh.. very sad. I liked Jean Simmons.. and Teddy was a great singer.. Both sadly missed.

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2010, 12:06:22 PM »

J D Salinger author of Catcher In The Rye died today at 91.  His book was first published in 1951.

RIP
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2010, 01:05:14 PM »

The big loss......R.I.P

Yahoo News link

'Catcher in the Rye' author J.D. Salinger dies

By HILLEL ITALIE, AP National Writer Hillel Italie, Ap National Writer   – Thu Jan 28, 6:44 pm ET

NEW YORK – J.D. Salinger, the legendary author, youth hero and fugitive from fame whose "The Catcher in the Rye" shocked and inspired a world he increasingly shunned, has died. He was 91.

Salinger died of natural causes at his home on Wednesday, the author's son, actor Matt Salinger, said in a statement from Salinger's longtime literary representative, Harold Ober Associates, Inc. He had lived for decades in self-imposed isolation in a small, remote house in Cornish, N.H.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 09:51:23 PM by KC » Logged

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2010, 04:54:52 PM »

I love Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye.   R.I.P.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
El bueno

View Profile Email
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2010, 07:04:13 PM »

Ruben Kruger - Rugby Player
South Africa

Full name Ruben Jacobus Kruger
Born March 30, 1970, Vrede
Died January 27, 2010 (aged 39 years 303 days)
Major teams South Africa
Position Flanker
Height 6 ft 2 in
Weight 224 lb

Former South Africa flanker Ruben Kruger has passed away following a long battle with brain cancer.

Ruben Kruger played for the South Africa national rugby union team between 1993 and 1999. In 1995, he played in the Rugby World Cup. During this tournament, he made 5 starts, and scored 1 try, in the controversial semi-final against the France national rugby union team. Years later, he admitted that the try was not legitimate. He also played in the 1999 World Cup.

At club level, Ruben Kruger represented his South African province in the Currie Cup for the Blue Bulls (former team of Northern Transvaal).

In 1995 Ruben Kruger was named South African Rugby Football Union's player of the year.

Grant Roberts played the part of Ruben Kruger in Invictus

Source 1
Source 2

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 10:05:23 PM by #1-malpaso-fan » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2010, 09:45:19 PM »

Higashimori, thanks for posting the link to the AP obituary of J.D. Salinger. I hope you don't mind that I edited your post to shorten the link by making it a "titled" link. I also added a brief quote from the beginning of the article, and I removed the link to the satirical newspaper The Onion, which I thought was inappropriate under the circumstances.  If you want to re-post it in "The Endless, Pointless Thread," feel free to do so.

#1 Malpaso Fan, thanks for posting the sad news about Ruben Kruger. However, we require links to all stories posted here, and we also require quoted material to be formatted as such, that is, within [ quote] [ /quote] tags (without the space after the opening brackets). PM me if you need any help on this.

RIP, J.D. Salinger and Ruben Kruger.
El bueno

View Profile Email
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2010, 10:12:02 PM »

Irrelevant
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 07:07:30 PM by #1-malpaso-fan » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #99 on: January 29, 2010, 04:32:31 AM »

Tedious or no, that is the rule that we ask everyone to follow.

Please use separate quotes if you are copying and pasting from separate sources, and make it clear which text belongs to which link. There's no need to make a titled link unless the URL is very long.

90% of obituary/news posts are generally the same.
There's no reason to link to/quote from more than one source unless you want to take that trouble.

As far as I know, text is just as much copyright as images are, and that is why we ask people to post only brief excerpts from articles or even just a link. Beyond copyright issues, it is only common courtesy to credit the source—courtesy to the author of the material you are quoting, and courtesy to the reader, who may want to know whose words they are reading and find the rest of the material at the source.

As for posting images, all images are copyright also and credit should be given to the photographer/rights holder whenever possible. However, direct linking to the low-resolution images on most Internet sites, as long as the site allows it (some don't), shouldn't be an occasion for a copyright infringement suit. If it were, half the Internet would have to be shut down.

Thanks again for posting this particular news item, which wouldn't have been out of place in the "Eastwood News" forum because of the Invictus connection.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 75 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T