News: Coming in 2021: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 83 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Celebrity Obituary Thread  (Read 324347 times)
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #180 on: June 04, 2010, 03:35:33 AM »

« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 06:12:06 AM by higashimori » Logged

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #181 on: June 04, 2010, 06:49:26 AM »

Higgy, please post pictures from their original source, where possible, or at least tell us where you found them.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #182 on: June 04, 2010, 07:04:21 AM »

I was sad to learn Rue McClanahan had died.    She was so funny in The Golden Girls.  The whole show was funny and I loved watching it.  She was such a flirt in the series always going on dates.

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #183 on: June 14, 2010, 04:47:23 AM »

Jimmy Dean passed away yesterday   :(

Jimmy Dean

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #184 on: June 14, 2010, 04:50:41 AM »

Marvin Isley, bassist for the Isley Brothers, passed away a week earlier, on June 6. :(

Marvin Isley

“Eyuh.”
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #185 on: June 14, 2010, 02:23:03 PM »

dak

View Profile Email
« Reply #186 on: June 14, 2010, 06:17:52 PM »

RIP Gary Coleman

Dak
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #187 on: June 30, 2010, 05:27:29 AM »

" Director, "Rebel" actor Corey Allen dies at 75 "

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100629/people_nm/us_allen_1

By Mike Barnes

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – Corey Allen, who fatally challenged James Dean to a "chicken race" in the 1955 film classic "Rebel Without a Cause" before embarking on a career as a prolific TV director, died of natural causes in Hollywood on Sunday, two days before his 76th birthday.

With the May 29 death of his longtime friend Dennis Hopper, Allen was briefly the last surviving member of the "Rebel" main cast. He played Buzz Gunderson, one of the pic's antagonistic tough guys in a leather jacket.

Allen turned to directing in 1969, and collected an Emmy Award for a 1983 episode of "Hill Street Blues" after being nominated for another series episode two years earlier. In all, he shot about 80 TV episodes and 20 TV movies.

For die of natural, he was still young and two days before his birthday.....too sad !  R.I.P   :(

http://bit.ly/aPoKp2

« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 06:33:15 AM by higashimori » Logged

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #188 on: June 30, 2010, 10:02:34 AM »

I was just thinking of him yesterday as I put a film still featuring Corey up for sale on e bay..

Sad news... I loved Rebel when I was a kid....

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #189 on: June 30, 2010, 11:00:40 PM »

I too loved Rebel Without A Cause (still do)  

Sorry to learn another actor/director has gone.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 11:02:00 PM by Lin. » Logged
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #190 on: July 05, 2010, 09:47:19 AM »

" Actor Hutchings dies at 71 "

http://www.hollywood.com/news/Actor_Hutchings_dies_at_71/6978726

By WENN.com

The star passed away on Thursday (01Jul10) after battling a suspected viral infection.

Hutchings trained at Britain's famous Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA) and began his career on the stage with the Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC), later winning a Laurence Olivier Award in 1982 for his role in popular musical Poppy.

He moved on to movie roles, appearing on the big screen opposite Clint Eastwood in 1990's White Hunter, Black Heart, as well as enjoying turns in Kenneth Branagh's Henry V, Topsy-Turvy, Clockwise with John Cleese and The Affair of the Necklace alongside Hilary Swank.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment_and_arts/10494592.stm

R.I.P

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #191 on: July 06, 2010, 01:22:02 AM »

RIP Geoffrey.

He was an eclectic actor and I enjoyed many of his rolls.  A real 'old school' actor.
TWOMULES

Email
« Reply #192 on: July 06, 2010, 09:29:36 AM »

R.I.P  Geoffrey Hutchings :(

Benidorm won't be the same without you. ... :(

http://www.comedy.co.uk/images/library/people/180x200/b/benidorm_mel.jpg

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #193 on: July 09, 2010, 12:08:34 AM »

He was great as Sid James....

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
TWOMULES

Email
« Reply #194 on: July 09, 2010, 11:55:28 AM »

He was great as Sid James....

Gant, I loved Cor Blimey! :)

I understand he also played Sid James on Stage.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #195 on: July 11, 2010, 12:15:37 PM »

R.I.P., Bob Sheppard, voice of the New York Yankees for more than fifty years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/12/sports/baseball/12sheppard.html

From the last days of DiMaggio through the primes of Mantle, Berra, Jackson and Jeter, Sheppard’s precise, resonant, even Olympian elocution — he was sometimes called the Voice of God — greeted Yankee fans with the words, “Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to Yankee Stadium.”

“The Yankees and Bob Sheppard were a marriage made in heaven,” said his son Paul Sheppard, a 71-year-old financial adviser. “I know St. Peter will now recruit him. If you’re lucky enough to go to heaven, you’ll be greeted by a voice, saying, ‘Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to heaven!’ ”

In an era of blaring stadium music, of public-address announcers styling themselves as entertainers and cheerleaders, Sheppard, a man with a passion for poetry and Shakespeare, shunned hyperbole.

“A public-address announcer should be clear, concise, correct,” he said. “He should not be colorful, cute or comic.”
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #196 on: July 13, 2010, 02:11:22 AM »

R.I.P. Harvey Pekar.

Harvey Pekar, whose autobiographical comic book series "American Splendor" portrayed his life with bone-dry honesty and wit, was found dead at home early Monday, authorities said. He was 70.

Pekar never drew himself but depended on collaborations with artists, most notably his friend R. Crumb, who helped illustrate the first issue of the ironically titled "American Splendor," published in 1976. It was made into an acclaimed 2003 film starring Paul Giamatti. The most recent "American Splendor" was released in 2008.

Pekar's quirky commentary developed a following and his insights and humor were often a bit on the dark side.

Comic book writer Harvey Pekar dies at 70 in Ohio

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #197 on: July 13, 2010, 08:09:43 AM »

One other big loss for Yanks....  R.I.P. " The Boss " George Steinbrenner.

Yankees' Steinbrenner dies at 80

ESPN.com news services

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5375561

NEW YORK -- George Steinbrenner, who rebuilt the New York Yankees into a sports empire with a mix of bluster and big bucks that polarized fans all across America, died Tuesday. He had just celebrated his 80th birthday July 4.

Steinbrenner had a heart attack, was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, Fla., and died at about 6:30 a.m. ET, according to multiple reports.

"It is with profound sadness that the family of George M. Steinbrenner III announces his passing. He passed away this morning in Tampa, Fla., at age 80," the Steinbrenner family said in a statement.

"He was an incredible and charitable man. First and foremost he was devoted to his entire family -- his beloved wife, Joan; his sisters, Susan Norpell and Judy Kamm, his children, Hank, Jennifer Jessica and Hal; and all of his grandchildren.

"He was a visionary and a giant in the world of sports. He took a great but struggling franchise and turned it into a champion again."

The Steinbrenner family said that funeral arrangements will be private, however details about an additional public service will be announced at a later date.

His death was the second in three days to rock the Yankees. Bob Sheppard, the team's revered public address announcer from 1951-07, died Sunday at 99.

For more than 30 years, Steinbrenner lived up to his billing as "the Boss," a nickname he earned and clearly enjoyed as he ruled with an iron fist.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 08:12:49 AM by higashimori » Logged

LCat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #198 on: July 13, 2010, 09:57:08 AM »

I can't believe Steinbrenner is gone.

KC, my sympathies.

Goals are Great!
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #199 on: July 13, 2010, 02:01:42 PM »

Thanks, though he'd been ill and "not himself" for so long that I'm not exactly grief-stricken. How odd that he went right after Sheppard, though ... it's almost as if he was waiting for someone worthy of announcing his arrival in Heaven to be there ahead of him.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 83 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T