News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Celebrity Obituary Thread  (Read 198715 times)
TWOMULES

Email
« Reply #560 on: December 13, 2011, 11:11:18 AM »

I've no idea.. and havn't checked.. Gotta be an early one.  Is it the Travelling Saleslady movie ..? Or Tarantula..?

No but it is an early one, Gant. :)

It's actually TwoMules who has the film on DVD ... I didn't even know you could get it on DVD.

KC, I have it in my Classic Clint Eastwood collection. :)

B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #561 on: December 14, 2011, 04:26:49 AM »

No but it is an early one, Gant. :)

KC, I have it in my Classic Clint Eastwood collection. :)

Very cool, 2M.  Very interesting (shameless, even) how studios take obscure movies that happen to have minor appearances from yesteryear that are major stars today and splash their name above the title.  A common practice but very misleading.  I've seen Eastwood's appearances in Revenge of the Creature and Away All Boats.  I used to have them on dvd and would like to see Star In The Dust.  It would be nice to have all of Eastwood's minor appearance in one set.  I'm not sure if that's possible because I can't recall if they're all from the same studio.  There's a handful I haven't seen yet.  

So, to stay on topic, once again a tip of the hat to Mr. Harry Morgan.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 02:26:51 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #562 on: December 18, 2011, 10:45:06 AM »

^ The above DVD is part of a collection for Eastwood "completists," sold in the UK and Australia by an Italian firm, DeAgostini. No reason to berate the studio for the placement of Eastwood's name on the packaging.

We've had a couple of threads about it here on the Board, most recently here:  http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=7997.0
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #563 on: December 18, 2011, 10:52:10 AM »

Vaclav Havel, the Czech dissident playwright and political leader, has died. The New York Times calls him:

... the writer and dissident whose eloquent dissections of Communist rule helped to destroy it in revolutions that brought down the Berlin Wall and swept Havel himself into power.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/19/world/europe/vaclav-havel-dissident-playwright-who-led-czechoslovakia-dead-at-75.html

R.I.P.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #564 on: December 18, 2011, 12:54:39 PM »

^ The above DVD is part of a collection for Eastwood "completists," sold in the UK and Australia by an Italian firm, DeAgostini.

Unfortunately those early films weren't part of the collection sold in Australia. :(

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #565 on: December 18, 2011, 05:11:03 PM »

Vaclav Havel, the Czech dissident playwright and political leader, has died. The New York Times calls him:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/19/world/europe/vaclav-havel-dissident-playwright-who-led-czechoslovakia-dead-at-75.html

R.I.P.

R.I.P. MR. Vaclav Havel.

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #566 on: December 18, 2011, 05:29:02 PM »

TCM Remembers pays tribute to the many people we lost this year who were connected to the cinema.  Len Lesser is mentioned at the 1:47 mark with a clip from The Outlaw Josey Wales.

TCM Remembers "Before You Go"

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #567 on: December 18, 2011, 05:48:10 PM »

TCM Remembers pays tribute to the many people we lost this year who were connected to the cinema.  Len Lesser is mentioned at the 1:47 mark with a clip from The Outlaw Josey Wales.

TCM Remembers "Before You Go"

จจ:...  and Bill McKinney was there too,จจ:........

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #568 on: December 19, 2011, 05:49:59 AM »

จจ:...  and Bill McKinney was there too,จจ:........

You're right.  At 3:53, and there's another quick clip from OJW.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #569 on: December 22, 2011, 05:32:26 AM »

^ The above DVD is part of a collection for Eastwood "completists," sold in the UK and Australia by an Italian firm, DeAgostini. No reason to berate the studio for the placement of Eastwood's name on the packaging.

We've had a couple of threads about it here on the Board, most recently here:  http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=7997.0

I've seen many a title released on dvd (and vhs) with actors that are major stars today that had only minor parts in them, with their names in larger, bolder print than the movie title (more often than not above the title), misleading the potential buyer not in the know into believing said actor played a major role whereas in truth it was minimal.  That's what I call shameless.  So, whomever is responsible for marketing is to be blamed.  On the other side of the same token, I can see it as a smart business move.  There are many films like this out there with movie stars of today that had minor roles that completists would love to have.  A perfect example of informing them of this is the dvd packaging for Away All Boats.  Clint's name isn't splashed across the top and above the title, but rather he is mentioned on the back cover as this being one of his earliest appearances.  Very respectful.
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #570 on: December 22, 2011, 05:36:42 AM »

R.I.P. Eva Ekvall

The Boston Globe

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 08:13:35 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #571 on: December 22, 2011, 07:44:26 AM »

Jed, have you got a link that would explain who this person is? ???
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #572 on: December 22, 2011, 08:14:19 AM »

Jed, have you got a link that would explain who this person is? ???

A thousand pardons.  She was Miss Venezuela 2000.  I've updated my post - thanks!
TWOMULES

Email
« Reply #573 on: December 22, 2011, 12:04:59 PM »

Very cool, 2M.  It would be nice to have all of Eastwood's minor appearance in one set.

Thanks, Jed. :)

Revenge of the Creature
, Tarantula, Francis in the Navy, Lady Godiva, Star in the Dust and Never Say Goodbye are all in this UK collection.

TWOMULES

Email
« Reply #574 on: December 22, 2011, 12:13:50 PM »

R.I.P. Eva Ekvall

So sad and so young.  :(

B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #575 on: December 22, 2011, 01:11:10 PM »

Thanks, Jed. :)

Revenge of the Creature
, Tarantula, Francis in the Navy, Lady Godiva, Star in the Dust and Never Say Goodbye are all in this UK collection.

Hey man, would you mind forwarding me a copy and some details such as a website link for this info?  It's probably not available in the U.S. but I'd like to read up on it where it is available.  Thanks!
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #576 on: December 22, 2011, 05:18:25 PM »

I've seen many a title released on dvd (and vhs) with actors that are major stars today that had only minor parts in them, with their names in larger, bolder print than the movie title (more often than not above the title), misleading the potential buyer not in the know into believing said actor played a major role whereas in truth it was minimal.  That's what I call shameless.  So, whomever is responsible for marketing is to be blamed.  On the other side of the same token, I can see it as a smart business move.  There are many films like this out there with movie stars of today that had minor roles that completists would love to have.  A perfect example of informing them of this is the dvd packaging for Away All Boats.  Clint's name isn't splashed across the top and above the title, but rather he is mentioned on the back cover as this being one of his earliest appearances.  Very respectful.

Ha, I just looked up Star In The Dust on IMDB and Eastwood is 'uncredited'.  "The Clint Eastwood Collection" indeed!  Yes, very shameful.  Not that I wouldn't get it if I were collecting, mind you, but shameful nonetheless.
TWOMULES

Email
« Reply #577 on: December 22, 2011, 05:30:01 PM »

Hey man, would you mind forwarding me a copy and some details such as a website link for this info?  It's probably not available in the U.S. but I'd like to read up on it where it is available.  Thanks!

http://www.deagostini.com.au/eastwood/index.php
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #578 on: December 22, 2011, 08:26:22 PM »

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #579 on: December 22, 2011, 08:35:35 PM »

http://www.deagostini.com.au/eastwood/index.php

And it has never been available in the U.S. Here's a quote from TwoMules (one of Mr. Mules' first posts here) about how great it was to have a chance to get the early films:

Hi,  The Schofield Kid, I am a new member called TWOMULES from England.  It's great to see you have started getting the DeAgostini magazine and DVD/ The Classic Clint Eastwood Collection. My wife got me every issue in the UK,a total of 50 issues plus two special editions. Most of the films I had on Vhs but what I enjoyed about this collection was the fact that it included most of Clint's early bit part roles. The Revenge of the Creature,Tarantula,Francis in the navy,Lady Godiva,Star in the Dust and Never Say Goodbye are all part of the uk collection. The 2 Special Editions are The Man From Malpaso and Piano Blues. The magazines are also a joy to read and give you some great information on each film. The uk collection started with Dirty Harry and ended with the film Never Say Goodbye.     take care     TWOMULES

Eastwood is uncredited in most of his early films. I think the only exceptions are Francis in the Navy, The First Traveling Saleslady and Lafayette Escadrille, and of course he is actually billed third in Ambush at Cimarron Pass. In all of his uncredited roles, his screen time ranges from a few seconds to a couple of minutes.

But we're going way off topic here; any further discussion about Clint's movies should probably be carried on in one of the "non-off-topic" forums! ;)
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 75 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T