News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 83 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Celebrity Obituary Thread  (Read 324362 times)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #800 on: September 09, 2012, 02:24:24 PM »

Ron Taylor, the Australian marine conservation pioneer who helped film some of the heart-stopping, iconic underwater footage in the movie Jaws, has died. He was 78.

Wildlife conservationists led the tributes for Taylor, who died at a private hospital in Sydney on Sunday.

He had battled myeloid leukaemia for two years, the ABC reported.

Brisbane Times

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
LCat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #801 on: September 09, 2012, 07:43:44 PM »

I must be getting old when I'm thinking that 78 is not so old...

RIP, Ron Taylor.

LCat

Goals are Great!
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #802 on: September 09, 2012, 09:01:12 PM »

RIP Ron. 

His work with sharks and other marine life was so well know all over the world. More important than his footage in Jaws.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #803 on: September 13, 2012, 06:38:03 AM »

Lance LeGault died Monday, September 10, 2012

From Wikipedia:

LeGault's first three feature films he starred in were three Elvis Presley movies, Girls! Girls! Girls! (1962) in which he was a stunt double for Elvis Presley, Kissin' Cousins (1964), and Viva Las Vegas (1964). He also appeared in Elvis Presley's groundbreaking 1968 NBC television special Elvis (also known as Elvis' 68 Comeback Special), where he sat at the side of the stage playing a tambourine.

Lance & Elvis in Girls! Girls! Girls!, 1962.  Hal Blaine, playing drums, was born in Holyoke, Massachusetts, the state I currently reside in.   Mr. LeGault and I were both born in Illinois.  He in Chicago and I in Rushville.

Kissin' Cousins, 1964 - Lance LeGault as Jody Tatum (left)

Kissin Cousins, 1964 - Lance LeGault Playing Josh Morgan (right)

A behind the scenes shot of Lance with Elvis, probably on the set of Double Trouble in 1967.

On the legendary 1968 "Comeback" Special for NBC, Lance was featured in numerous scenes.  As you can see, tambourine wasn’t the only instrument LeGault played but like Elvis did for many of his movies, I believe Lance was using his guitar as a prop.  *Note: one of the photos from the 4 below is from Kissin' Cousins, where LeGault played a carnival barker (Lance in stripes w/hat, Elvis' back is the the camera wearing a red jacket).

There's an interesting Elvis/Eastwood connection here:  Interview with Lance LeGault

I did about a dozen movies with Elvis. Roustabout was not the first. By the time we did Roustabout, Elvis used to come see me in the nightclubs. The first time he came to see me, he was doing Wild In The Country, and he brought Tuesday Weld. I had a nightclub and a really good blues band and Elvis was a big blues fan. I had this nightclub 'The Cross Bow'. There was a rear entrance with stairs to a private balcony. And I could send food that way, too. He brought Tuesday and his group which of course all had dates.

And they all could sit up there and no one would bother them.

Clint Eastwood would come out to see me there.

It was a good club. And to have Elvis come out to see me there many times did not hurt. Elvis was very complimentary and generous. I did the original version of Hound Dog, One Night Of Sin, Kansas City and he liked all that. And then once word got out, that Elvis was coming to see Lance LeGault, you couldn't get a seat in that damn club.

So it was good.

I was also surprised to learn he played a Klingon in the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode The Emissary in 1989.

Rest In Peace, sir.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 04:37:47 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
LCat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #804 on: September 20, 2012, 07:44:28 PM »

RIP!

Goals are Great!
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #805 on: September 26, 2012, 07:11:48 PM »

Moon River crooner Andy Williams dies aged 84

Andy Williams, who has died aged 84, was one of the last great American crooners and had huge hits in the 1960s and 1970s with smooth renditions of such songbook standards as Can't Help Falling In Love and Days Of Wine And Roses; in a career spanning more than half a century he recorded 18 gold albums and hosted his own popular television show.

Williams died after a year-long battle with bladder cancer.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/moon-river-crooner-andy-williams-dies-aged-84-20120927-26m31.html

higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #806 on: September 26, 2012, 08:14:35 PM »

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #807 on: September 27, 2012, 04:27:02 AM »

Definitely a different take on a classic... ("Ah, you using the whole fist, doc?"  "Ever serve time?")

Rest In Peace, Mr. Williams.  He discovered The Osmonds.

“Eyuh.”
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #808 on: September 27, 2012, 08:06:33 AM »

Well we'll forgive him for discovering the Osmonds...

But sad to hear of his passing. Ive been watching some of the duets from his tv series with the likes of
Ella Fitzgerald, Tony Bennett, Bing Crosby, Johnny Cash and Tony Newley.... he really was a very talented singer..

R.I.P Andy Williams

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #809 on: September 27, 2012, 08:40:52 AM »

Well we'll forgive him for discovering the Osmonds...

But sad to hear of his passing. Ive been watching some of the duets from his tv series with the likes of
Ella Fitzgerald, Tony Bennett, Bing Crosby, Johnny Cash and Tony Newley.... he really was a very talented singer..

As a kid I enjoyed Yo Yo and Down By The Lazy River.  Also, theirs and The Jackson 5's cartoon shows.  If their stage attire looks familiar it's because they sought out Bill Belew, tailor to The King.

The Osmonds performing Yo Yo on The Flip Wilson Show 9/16/71

I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of his work airing on television again very soon.  A fitting tribute would be nice.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 08:41:54 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #810 on: September 27, 2012, 02:48:47 PM »

RIP Mr Williams. He was such a laid back singer.
LCat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #811 on: September 27, 2012, 09:19:43 PM »

I loved Andy Williams--He was such a large part of my childhood music experience!

RIP!

Goals are Great!
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #812 on: October 04, 2012, 02:41:39 PM »

Herbert Lom, Frustrated Boss of Inspector Clouseau, Dies at 95

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/28/arts/herbert-lom-frustrated-boss-of-inspector-clouseau-dies-at-95.html?_r=0

I only just saw this. What a great actor. Not just from The Pink Panther films.

RIP Mr Lom. :(

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #813 on: October 04, 2012, 07:00:48 PM »

Yes, it's an interesting obit, too. I meant to post it when it appeared. Thanks, SK.

And RIP, Herbert Lom.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #814 on: October 04, 2012, 10:37:46 PM »

He was a great actor and appeared in one of my all time fave movies Hell Drivers

R.I.P Mr Lom

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #815 on: October 11, 2012, 02:28:05 PM »

Alex Karras, a fierce and relentless All-Pro lineman for the Detroit Lions whose irrepressible character frequently placed him at odds with football’s authorities but led to a second career as an actor on television and in the movies, died Wednesday at his home in Los Angeles. He was 77.

To those under 50, Karras may be best known as an actor. He made his film debut in 1968, playing himself in “Paper Lion,” an adaptation of George Plimpton’s book about his experience as an amateur playing quarterback for the Lions, which starred Alan Alda as Plimpton.

His rendering of his own roguish personality led to several appearances on “The Tonight Show With Johnny Carson,” and in the 1970s he played numerous guest roles on series television, on shows like “McMillan & Wife,” “Love, American Style,” “M*A*S*H” and “The Odd Couple,” in which he played a comically threatening man-mountain, the jealous husband of a woman who had become friendly with Felix (Tony Randall). Perhaps most memorably, he played Mongo, a hulking subliterate outlaw who delivers a knockout punch to a horse, in the Mel Brooks Western spoof “Blazing Saddles.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/11/sports/football/alex-karras-nfl-lineman-and-actor-dies-at-77.html?_r=1&

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #816 on: October 15, 2012, 06:43:43 PM »

Gary Collins, 74, an actor who was the host of the syndicated TV show "Hour Magazine" and a former master of ceremonies for the Miss America Pageant, died early Saturday in Biloxi, Miss. Collins died of natural causes soon after arriving at Biloxi Regional Medical Center, Harrison County Coroner Gary Hargrove told the Associated Press.

In 2011 Collins moved to Mississippi, the home state of his wife, Mary Ann Mobley, who was Miss America 1959 before embarking on an acting career.

From 1980 to 1988, Collins served as host of the daytime TV talk show "Hour Magazine," a gentler version of the genre that avoided some of the controversial topics tackled by Phil Donahue, Geraldo Rivera and other programs.

LA Times

LCat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #817 on: November 02, 2012, 07:15:27 AM »

Goals are Great!
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #818 on: November 03, 2012, 04:21:51 AM »

This is so very sad.

RIP Pascual Perez.
Walt
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #819 on: November 19, 2012, 02:54:41 AM »

He was a great actor and appeared in one of my all time fave movies Hell Drivers

R.I.P Mr Lom

I was lucky enough to spend some time with Herbert Lom just last year in London. Although very elderly and frail his voice was unmistakable and he enjoyed remenising about his fantastic career. I wasn't surprised at the news of his death but saddened. He was one of cinemas greatest character actors.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 83 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T