News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Celebrity Obituary Thread  (Read 198745 times)
LCat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #840 on: December 16, 2012, 10:02:16 PM »

RIP, Ravi.

Goals are Great!
LCat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #841 on: December 18, 2012, 12:04:02 AM »

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/17/politics/obit-inouye/index.html

RIP, Senator Daniel Inouye of Hawaii!

LCat

Goals are Great!
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #842 on: December 18, 2012, 08:33:58 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/17/politics/obit-inouye/index.html

RIP, Senator Daniel Inouye of Hawaii!

LCat

Mr.Inoue represented Hawaii in the Senate for five decades!  His last word was "Aloha " !!

Aloha, Mr. Inoue....

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #843 on: December 18, 2012, 08:41:23 PM »

" N. Joseph Woodland, Inventor of the Bar Code, Dies at 91 "

By MARGALIT FOX

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/13/business/n-joseph-woodland-inventor-of-the-bar-code-dies-at-91.html?_r=0

It was born on a beach six decades ago, the product of a pressing need, an intellectual spark and the sweep of a young man’s fingers through the sand.........

R.I.P.

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #844 on: December 18, 2012, 08:45:06 PM »

Here's a link to the New York Times obituary for Senator Inouye. Fascinating.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/18/us/daniel-inouye-hawaiis-quiet-voice-of-conscience-in-senate-dies-at-88.html

A hero of World War II who lost his right arm in combat in Europe, Mr. Inouye, a Democrat, served two terms in the House of Representatives early in his career and was first elected to the Senate in 1962. He was the first Japanese-American elected to both the House and the Senate.
Daniel Ken Inouye was born in Honolulu on Sept. 7, 1924, the oldest of four children of Hyotaro and Kame Imanaga Inouye, who had immigrated from Japan. He graduated from McKinley High School, enrolled in premedical studies at the University of Hawaii and was a medical volunteer at Pearl Harbor when the Japanese attacked in 1941.

In 1943, when the United States Army lifted its ban on Japanese-Americans, Mr. Inouye joined the new 442nd Regimental Combat Team, the first all-nisei volunteer unit. It became the most decorated unit in American military history. In 1944, fighting in Italy and France, he won a battlefield commission to second lieutenant. He was shot in the chest, but the bullet was stopped by two silver dollars in his pocket.

On April 21, 1945, weeks before the end of the war in Europe, he led an assault near San Terenzo, Italy. His platoon was pinned down by three machine guns. Although shot in the stomach, he ran forward and destroyed one emplacement with a hand grenade and another with his submachine gun. He was crawling toward the third when enemy fire nearly severed his right arm, leaving a grenade, in his words, “clenched in a fist that suddenly didn’t belong to me anymore.” He pried it loose, threw it with his left hand and destroyed the bunker. Stumbling forward, he silenced resistance with gun bursts before being hit in the leg and collapsing unconscious.

His mutilated right arm was amputated in a field hospital. He was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, which was upgraded to the Medal of Honor, America’s highest military award, by President Bill Clinton in 2000. (Members of the 442nd were believed to have been denied proper recognition because of their race.)

R.I.P., Daniel Inouye.
LCat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #845 on: December 25, 2012, 12:40:06 AM »

« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 12:43:10 AM by LCat » Logged

Goals are Great!
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #846 on: December 25, 2012, 01:04:14 AM »

R.I.P Jack.... The last of the 12 angry men...

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
LCat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #847 on: December 25, 2012, 01:32:37 AM »

R.I.P Jack.... The last of the 12 angry men...

Angry no more, I hope!

LCat!

Goals are Great!
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #848 on: December 25, 2012, 11:35:25 AM »

RIP Jack.

Quincy was a favourite of mine as was The Odd Couple.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #849 on: December 25, 2012, 12:57:33 PM »

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #850 on: December 25, 2012, 01:07:14 PM »

Quincy was a favorite of mine as a kid. Every Saturday night on Channel 7.

Who'll ever forget Charles Durning in Tootsie. Especially the look on his face when Dorothy reveals her true identity.

RIP, Jack and Charles.  :'(

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #851 on: December 26, 2012, 04:27:22 AM »

Wow, Jack Klugman.  My heart breaks.  I loved watching him on The Odd Couple when I was a kid.  One of my favorite episodes is when Felix challenged him to type his name as fast as he could without making a mistake.  "Oscar Madisox... Oscar Madisoy...."  Hahaha, not as easy as he thought!   ;D  Man, this is such sad news.  I know I never knew the man, but he sure seemed like a hell of a guy and definitely a good actor.  RIP, Mr. Klugman.   :'(

« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 04:35:00 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #852 on: December 26, 2012, 04:44:12 AM »

I think I first caught Charles Durning in When A Stranger Calls.  He played in a handful of Burt Reynolds movies, most humorously as Lt. Friscoe in Sharky's Machine.  Of course, he was very good opposite Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie.  RIP Mr. Durning.

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #853 on: December 26, 2012, 06:54:40 PM »

Besides being an extremely versatile character actor on stage and screen, Charles Durning (like the late Senator Inouye) was a hero of  World War II. His account of the worst of his combat experiences, included in his obituary in the New York Times, reminded me of both Flags of Our Fathers and the haunted past of Clint's character in Gran Torino:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/26/movies/charles-durning-prolific-character-actor-dies-at-89.html?pagewanted=all

Then came World War II, and he enlisted in the Army. His combat experiences were harrowing. He was in the first wave of troops to land on Omaha Beach on D-Day and his unit’s lone survivor of a machine-gun ambush. In Belgium he was stabbed in hand-to-hand combat with a German soldier, whom he bludgeoned to death with a rock. Fighting in the Battle of the Bulge, he and the rest of his company were captured and forced to march through a pine forest at Malmedy, the scene of an infamous massacre in which the Germans opened fire on almost 90 prisoners. Mr. Durning was among the few to escape.

By the war’s end he had been awarded a Silver Star for valor and three Purple Hearts, having suffered gunshot and shrapnel wounds as well. He spent months in hospitals and was treated for psychological trauma.

Mr. Durning was also remembered for his combat service, which he avoided discussing publicly until later in life. He spoke at memorial ceremonies in Washington, and in 2008 France awarded him the National Order of the Legion of Honor. 

In the Parade interview, he recalled the hand-to-hand combat. “I was crossing a field somewhere in Belgium,” he said. “A German soldier ran toward me carrying a bayonet. He couldn’t have been more than 14 or 15. I didn’t see a soldier. I saw a boy. Even though he was coming at me, I couldn’t shoot.”       

They grappled, he recounted later — he was stabbed seven or eight times — until finally he grasped a rock and made it a weapon. After killing the youth, he said, he held him in his arms and wept. 

Mr. Durning said the memories never left him, even when performing, even when he became, however briefly, someone else.   

“There are many secrets in us, in the depths of our souls, that we don’t want anyone to know about,” he told Parade. “There’s terror and repulsion in us, the terrible spot that we don’t talk about. That place that no one knows about — horrifying things we keep secret. A lot of that is released through acting.”       

R.I.P.

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #854 on: December 27, 2012, 02:43:36 AM »

RIP Mr Durning.

Sad news indeed.
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #855 on: December 27, 2012, 10:03:10 AM »

Besides being an extremely versatile character actor on stage and screen, Charles Durning (like the late Senator Inouye) was a hero of  World War II. His account of the worst of his combat experiences, included in his obituary in the New York Times, reminded me of both Flags of Our Fathers and the haunted past of Clint's character in Gran Torino:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/26/movies/charles-durning-prolific-character-actor-dies-at-89.html?pagewanted=all

R.I.P.

This was extremely interesting, albeit sad.  Thank you for posting this about Mr. Durning.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #856 on: December 28, 2012, 10:03:38 PM »

FORMER England captain and cricket commentator Tony Greig has died after a battle with lung cancer, the Nine Network has announced. He was 66. Greig first became aware he had a problem during Australia's one-day series against Pakistan in Dubai in August and September. Initially diagnosed with bronchitis in May, the condition lingered and, by the time of the ICC World Twenty20 that finished in Sri Lanka in October, Greig had tests that revealed a small lesion at the base of his right lung. On his return to Australia he had fluid removed from the right lung and testing revealed he had lung cancer.

The Australian

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #857 on: December 28, 2012, 10:06:35 PM »

Harry Carey Jr., who was a member of John Ford's stock company of actors and played in a number of the director's classic Westerns, has died of natural causes in Santa Barbara, the Associated Press reported Friday. He was 91.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/western-character-actor-harry-carey-407048

higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #858 on: December 29, 2012, 11:04:24 AM »

R.I.P. for all lost...... :(

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #859 on: December 29, 2012, 11:42:40 AM »

I heard about Tony Greig this morning. Our news report said it was a heart attack that took him. He had struggled with cancer for some time. I was so very sad to hear of his passing.

RIP Tony.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 75 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T