News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Celebrity Obituary Thread  (Read 204019 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #940 on: August 25, 2013, 01:15:46 PM »

Julie Harris has died at age 87.

Her excellent New York Times obit is here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/25/arts/julie-harris-celebrated-actress-of-range-and-intensity-dies-at-87.html?pagewanted=all

Julie Harris, the unprepossessing anti-diva who, in the guises of Joan of Arc, Mary Todd Lincoln, Emily Dickinson and many other characters both fictional and real, became the most decorated performer in the history of Broadway, died on Saturday at her home in Chatham, Mass. She was 87.

There is a tenuous Eastwood connection: She appeared in one episode of Rawhide.

R.I.P.

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #941 on: August 25, 2013, 02:14:39 PM »

RIP Ms Harris.

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #942 on: August 26, 2013, 07:25:01 PM »

Elmore Leonard, the great crime novelist, died on Tuesday at the age of 87.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/21/books/elmore-leonard-master-of-crime-fiction-dies-at-87.html?pagewanted=all

At the beginning of his writing career, Leonard's specialty was Westerns. His best-known Western short story, 3:10 to Yuma, was twice adapted as a film, but Clint Eastwood fans will also recall him as the author of the screenplay of Joe Kidd.

Here's an appreciation by New York Times book reviewer (and former film critic) Janet Maslin:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/22/books/elmore-leonard-a-man-of-few-yet-perfect-words.html

R.I.P.

Up in the "Eastwood in the press: Minor mentions" thread, Antonis posted an excerpt from an interview with Elmore Leonard, in which he talked about working with Eastwood and John Sturges on Joe Kidd:

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=7063.msg213344#msg213344

Here's a direct link to the interview, for anyone who wants to read more:

http://www.filmcomment.com/article/elmore-leonard-interview-patrick-mcgilligan
LCat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #943 on: September 05, 2013, 06:56:42 PM »

RIP, Julie Harris, and Elmore Leonard!

LCat

Goals are Great!
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

Endeavor to persevere.

View Profile Email
« Reply #944 on: September 06, 2013, 12:06:14 PM »

I thought somebody else would've posted about this now, so here it goes.  Actor Michael Ansara passed away July 31.

Michael Ansara, "Star Trek"'s Kang, dies at 91      Michael Ansara, actor behind Klingon leader Kang, dies at 91

I first became aware of Mr. Ansara in the classic Star Trek episode, Day Of The Dove.  I always enjoyed his portrayal of Kang and read more about him in a Trek novel entitled Pawns And Symbols.  Ansara was married to Barbara Eden, who played in one of Elvis' better movies, Flaming Star (1960).

Ansara with Fran Jeffries and Presley in one of The King's worst films, Harum Scarum (1965)

A better image of Ansara from the same movie, with foreign subtitles.

Kang vs. Kirk in Day Of The Dove (1967)

Pawns And Symbols (1985)

« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 01:05:47 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged

I reckon so.
LCat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #945 on: September 06, 2013, 08:28:52 PM »

Wow, I had no idea Michael Ansara was anywhere near 91!

RIP.

LCat

Goals are Great!
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #946 on: September 09, 2013, 06:34:45 PM »

R.I.P. Julie Harris.  :(

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #947 on: September 19, 2013, 01:19:00 AM »

Ken Norton, who fought three memorable fights with Muhammad Ali, breaking his jaw in winning their first bout, then losing twice, and who went on to become the World Boxing Council heavyweight champion, died Wednesday in the Las Vegas suburb of Henderson, Nev. He was 70.

nytimes

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #948 on: September 21, 2013, 08:00:41 PM »

" Hiroshi Yamauchi, Who Steered Nintendo to Dominance, Dies at 85 "

TOKYO — Hiroshi Yamauchi, who transformed his great-grandfather’s playing-card company, Nintendo, into a global video game powerhouse, died on Thursday in Kyoto, Japan. He was 85.

In the early 1990s, Mr. Yamauchi found himself in the middle of an international dispute when he offered to buy a majority stake in the Seattle Mariners. The team, established in 1977, had been threatening to leave Seattle if it could not find a new owner willing to keep it there. Nintendo had its United States headquarters in Seattle.

The team’s owners approved the deal but the commissioner of Major League Baseball, Fay Vincent, and a four-man M.L.B. owners’ committee initially opposed it. They relented and approved the sale in 1992 after Mariners fans and the Seattle news media rallied in favor of it. In 2001, the Mariners signed the star Japanese outfielder Ichiro Suzuki, now with the Yankees, helping to open the door for many more Japanese players to join major league teams in the United States.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/20/business/global/hiroshi-yamauchi-who-helped-drive-nintendo-into-dominance-dies-at-85.html?_r=0&adxnnl=1&ref=obituaries&adxnnlx=1379773517-s5ctNj/+lRYH0GRrutDObg

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/hiroshi-yamauchi-death-seattle-mariners-owner-nintendo-president-signficant-legacy-091913

R.I.P. Mr. Yamauchi.

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #949 on: October 02, 2013, 07:26:21 AM »

really sad news......

Spaghetti Western Legend Giuliano Gemma dies in car crash age 75 / Breaking News

Italian spaghetti western film star Giuliano Gemma was killed in a car crash on Tuesday.

The 75 year old was involved in a collision near Rome, Italy. He was taken to hospital but died shortly after his arrival.

After working as a stuntman, he began acting in 1962. He became famous for his roles in spaghetti westerns, appearing in films such as A Pistol for Ringo, Blood for a Silver Dollar and Day of Anger.

He went on to win the David di Donatello, Italy’s equivalent of the Oscar, for his performance in Desert of Tartars in 1976.

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #950 on: October 02, 2013, 08:22:06 PM »

R.I.P. Giuliano.

" Tom Clancy, Best-Selling Master of Military Thrillers, Dies at 66 "

By JULIE BOSMAN

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/03/books/tom-clancy-best-selling-novelist-of-military-thrillers-dies-at-66.html?hp&_r=2&

Tom Clancy, whose complex, adrenaline-fueled military novels spawned a new genre of thrillers and made him one of the world’s best-known and best-selling authors, died on Tuesday in Baltimore. He was 66.

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2013/10/02/books/10-27-Tom-Clancy-7.html

R.I.P. Mr. Tom Clancy.

Tang Lung

View Profile Email
« Reply #951 on: October 02, 2013, 10:10:29 PM »

Curse of 3 : Victor "Octopus" Lundin , Mike "Mr Freeze" Ansara & Henry "Scarecrow" Polic II , all bat stars & all within short period.

Also Ken Wallis , 98 (Little Nellie pilot in YOLT)

Hitlers bodyguard Rochus Misch (he was born 1917 I believe)......he was last remaining in the bunker , quite a life he had : pre-WW2/Hitler elected , WW2 , Hitler bombed , Hitlers death/end of war , Cold War , Berlin Wall torn , fall of Saddam , 9/11.....all these things he lived to see.

He must've thought of Hitler when he saw dictators like Saddam and Gadaffi & just like Hitler it all came back to them.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 10:18:54 PM by Tang Lung » Logged
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #952 on: October 03, 2013, 03:10:53 AM »

I was sorry to learn of the death of Tom Clancy. He was too young.

I loved his novels especially "Hunt for Red October".

RIP Mr. Clancy.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #953 on: October 03, 2013, 07:54:30 AM »

Hitlers bodyguard Rochus Misch (he was born 1917 I believe)......he was last remaining in the bunker , quite a life he had : pre-WW2/Hitler elected , WW2 , Hitler bombed , Hitlers death/end of war , Cold War , Berlin Wall torn , fall of Saddam , 9/11.....all these things he lived to see.He must've thought of Hitler when he saw dictators like Saddam and Gadaffi & just like Hitler it all came back to them.

Thanks for pointing me to this obituary of Misch, which I'd missed when it was published:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/07/world/europe/rochus-misch-bodyguard-of-hitler-dies-at-96.html
LCat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #954 on: October 04, 2013, 07:54:56 PM »

Goals are Great!
LCat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #955 on: October 04, 2013, 07:57:57 PM »

really sad news......

Spaghetti Western Legend Giuliano Gemma dies in car crash age 75 / Breaking News

It seems bizarre that a stuntman would die in an accident; it's also bizarre that he would die in an accident at such an age! RIP

LCat

Goals are Great!
LCat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #956 on: October 04, 2013, 08:26:55 PM »

Goals are Great!
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #957 on: October 17, 2013, 04:23:42 AM »

" Veteran character actor Ed Lauter dies at age 74 "

http://news.yahoo.com/veteran-character-actor-ed-lauter-dies-age-74-004940530.html

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Veteran character actor Ed Lauter, whose long, angular face and stern bearing made him an instantly recognizable figure in scores of movies and TV shows during a career that stretched across five decades, died Wednesday. He was 74.

He was in "Trouble With the Curve" in 2011 with Clint Eastwood and in "Born on the Fourth of July" with Tom Cruise. He was also in "The New Centurions" with George C. Scott and in "My Blue Heaven," ''Revenge of the Nerds 2" and "Not Another Teenage Movie," among many other films.

R.I.P.

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

Endeavor to persevere.

View Profile Email
« Reply #958 on: October 17, 2013, 06:09:10 AM »

Mr. Ed Lauter passed away yesterday.  I remember him from Death Wish 3 and more recently, Trouble With The Curve.  I've seen him in other films as well but can't recall the titles.

Entertainment Weekly

Wikipedia

Lauter with Charles Bronson in Death Wish 3 (1985)

Lauter, at far left, in Trouble With The Curve (2012)

Lauter in the same movie, at far right, with Eastwood

R.I.P. Ed Lauter

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 06:12:16 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

I reckon so.
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #959 on: October 18, 2013, 10:17:48 AM »

Mr. Ed Lauter passed away yesterday.  I remember him from Death Wish 3 and more recently, Trouble With The Curve.  I've seen him in other films as well but can't recall the titles.

Death hunt ????
Always loved that film.

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 75 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T