News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Celebrity Obituary Thread  (Read 204044 times)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

Endeavor to persevere.

View Profile Email
« Reply #980 on: November 18, 2013, 02:20:16 PM »

I agree, and their feelings would be understandable, but since we are not members of her family, we don't have to express the same sentiments ;)

But there's absolutely nothing wrong with doing so.  We can agree to disagree and end this with this post.  If you care to continue, there's always PM's; dragging this out here is not an option.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 02:31:04 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged

I reckon so.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #981 on: November 18, 2013, 02:44:10 PM »

But there's absolutely nothing wrong with doing so.  We can agree to disagree and end this with this post.  If you care to continue, there's always PM's; dragging this out here is not an option.

I agree. There's no need to continue this discussion further. My idle comment was my opinion and wasn't intended to promote a discussion. Back to our regularly scheduled programing...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 02:46:02 PM by AKA23 » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #982 on: November 18, 2013, 07:54:23 PM »

Surely it's always sad when someone whose work we admire dies, no matter how old he or she is? Let Lin be sad about Lessing's passing if that's how she feels.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #983 on: November 19, 2013, 04:04:38 AM »

Surely it's always sad when someone whose work we admire dies, no matter how old he or she is? Let Lin be sad about Lessing's passing if that's how she feels.

Do I understand, from your post above, that it is not sad when anyone who is not a family member dies?
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #984 on: November 19, 2013, 07:11:48 AM »

Do I understand, from your post above, that it is not sad when anyone who is not a family member dies?

From my point of view, the woman was 94 years old, and everyone has to die at some point in time. If I was an admirer of hers, I would be so thankful and so grateful that she was fortunate enough to live for 94 years. To put this in perspective, a little more than half a percent of the American population lives to be 90 or above. 99.5% of the population dies before age 90. I'm sure the statistics in the UK and Europe are similar. I think that death is part of the life cycle, and I don't find it particularly sad when someone who I don't have a personal connection to dies when they are 94. I understand that not everyone shares that perspective, and I respect that as well.
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #985 on: November 19, 2013, 07:34:07 AM »

From my point of view, the woman was 94 years old, and everyone has to die at some point in time. If I was an admirer of hers, I would be so thankful and so grateful that she was fortunate enough to live for 94 years. To put this in perspective, a little more than half a percent of the American population lives to be 90 or above. 99.5% of the population dies before age 90. I'm sure the statistics in the UK and Europe are similar. I think that death is part of the life cycle, and I don't find it particularly sad when someone who I don't have a personal connection to dies when they are 94. I understand that not everyone shares that perspective, and I respect that as well.

I think it's sad if we consider the amazing and so important things whe wrote and said all her life long : try to read one of her books maybe ... or listen to one of her interviews.
It's always sad to loose someone as intelligent and interesting personn as Doris Lessing was.
The fact that she was 94 can't be seen as insignificant to me : only respect for this Great Lady.

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

Endeavor to persevere.

View Profile Email
« Reply #986 on: November 19, 2013, 08:07:28 AM »

I think it's sad if we consider the amazing and so important things she wrote and said all her life long : try to read one of her books maybe ... or listen to one of her interviews.
It's always sad to loose someone as intelligent and interesting personn as Doris Lessing was.
The fact that she was 94 can't be seen as insignificant to me : only respect for this Great Lady.

When it comes to ones' demise it matters not to me if they lived to 80, 90 or 100.  Yes, they've lived a long life but regardless, it's sad to lose them.

I reckon so.
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #987 on: November 20, 2013, 02:02:58 AM »

When it comes to ones' demise it matters not to me if they lived to 80, 90 or 100.  Yes, they've lived a long life but regardless, it's sad to lose them.
Yes, exactly what I think Jed

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #988 on: November 20, 2013, 08:31:19 AM »

I agree with you and Sylvie, Jed. Age is just a number.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

Endeavor to persevere.

View Profile Email
« Reply #989 on: November 27, 2013, 07:25:25 AM »

I agree with you and Sylvie, Jed. Age is just a number.

Ain't it da truth!  ;)

I reckon so.
LCat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #990 on: November 30, 2013, 08:36:47 PM »

If age is just a number, why is it that my great-aunt, who is 90, is still lying about her age? :)

Goals are Great!
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #991 on: December 01, 2013, 03:26:52 AM »

If age is just a number, why is it that my great-aunt, who is 90, is still lying about her age? :)

Because she is a lady and can, if she wishes, handle the truth recklessly.   ;)
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #992 on: December 01, 2013, 03:43:28 AM »

Lewis Collins   "Bodie" in The Professionals the 1960s TV show. He was paired with Martin Shaw as a pair of tough CI5 agents. The series was one long round of car chases. They were both so fit and I for one loved that programme. It is still shown on some of the "Yesterday" style TV channels.    He also stared in Who Dares Wins and appeared in a  number of UK TV programmes such as Z Cars

In his Bodie days.

RIP Lewis.

http://www.contactmusic.com/article/lewis-collins-the-professionals-bodie-dies-aged-67_3973898

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #993 on: December 01, 2013, 03:32:33 PM »

Actor Paul Walker died yesterday in a car accident. When the news broke on the internet last night, there was quite a bit of confusion about whether it was a hoax or not. Sadly it's true. http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/11/30/paul-walker-dead-car-crash/
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

Endeavor to persevere.

View Profile Email
« Reply #994 on: December 02, 2013, 08:35:00 AM »

RIP Mr. Collins & Mr. Walker.

I reckon so.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #995 on: December 02, 2013, 05:30:36 PM »

RIP Paul Walker.

Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #996 on: December 04, 2013, 06:41:12 PM »

R.I.P.Paul Walker
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #997 on: December 04, 2013, 08:15:58 PM »

^ Hank Hansen in Flags of Our Fathers! I had totally forgotten.

What a horrible accident. R.I.P.!
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #998 on: December 05, 2013, 04:19:14 PM »

" Nelson Mandela, South Africa’s first black president and an enduring icon of the struggle against racial oppression, died on Thursday " He was 95!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/06/world/africa/nelson-mandela.html?emc=edit_na_20131205&_r=0

JOHANNESBURG — Nelson Mandela, South Africa’s first black president and an enduring icon of the struggle against racial oppression, died on Thursday, the government announced, leaving the nation without its moral center at a time of growing dissatisfaction with the country’s leaders.

“Our nation has lost its greatest son,” President Jacob Zuma said in a televised address on Thursday night, adding that Mr. Mandela had died at 8:50 p.m. local time. “His humility, his compassion and his humanity earned him our love.”

Mr Zuma called Mr. Mandela’s death “the moment of our greatest sorrow,” and said that South Africa’s thoughts were now with the former president’s family. “They have sacrificed much and endured much so that our people could be free,” he said.

Mr. Mandela spent 27 years in prison after being convicted of treason by the white minority government, only to forge a peaceful end to white rule by negotiating with his captors after his release in 1990. He led the African National Congress, long a banned liberation movement, to a resounding electoral victory in 1994, the first fully democratic election in the country’s history.

" 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Nelson Mandela "

http://afkinsider.com/1772/10-things-you-probably-didnt-know-about-nelson-mandela/

Now, rest in peace "Madiba"!! :(

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #999 on: December 05, 2013, 04:34:41 PM »

The world has lost a remarkable man. He will never be forgotten.

Rest in Peace, Madiba.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 75 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T