News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Celebrity Obituary Thread  (Read 198228 times)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1040 on: January 28, 2014, 02:52:14 AM »

Dave Madden, who played band manager Reuben Kincaid on “The Partridge Family,” died Thursday in Jacksonville, Florida of congestive heart and kidney failure. He was 82.

Madden’s character was typically aggravated by the mischievous Partridge kids and tangled frequently with Danny Bonaduce’s character.

While the series starred Shirley Jones, with her real-life son David Cassidy as the resident heartthrob, it was Madden and the freckle-faced Bonaduce who became the reigning comic duo.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/dave-madden-of-the-partridge-family-dies-at-82-1201061433/

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #1041 on: January 28, 2014, 09:54:10 AM »

The death has been announced of Pete Seeger.

I listened to his many songs protest and otherwise as I was growing up. Have always been a fan.

RIP Pete.

http://peteseeger.net/wp/?p=1921

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #1042 on: January 28, 2014, 09:56:06 AM »

RIP Dave Madden.

The Partridge Family was such a fun show and he was tormented by the Partridge kids.
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1043 on: January 31, 2014, 01:58:18 PM »

Rest In Peace to all the recently departed. 
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1044 on: February 02, 2014, 11:52:34 AM »

Wow. This really is shocking. Philip Seymour Hoffman has died.

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304626804579358943360702878?mobile=y
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #1045 on: February 02, 2014, 03:54:11 PM »

R.I.P. Philip Seymour Hoffman. This one hurts. He was one of my favorite actors. I've thought for a while that he was the best actor in his prime working today. He was brilliant in everything, whether it was in smaller roles like The Big Lebowski or The Talented Mr. Ripley or Boogie Nights, or in major roles in Capote, Doubt, or my favorite, Charlie Kaufman's Synecdoche, New York. And that is only a small sampling of films he's been in, and we should have had decades more to enjoy his work. He's spoken in the past about his struggles with addiction. It looks as if the drugs won out in the end. It's very sad. He leaves behind three children.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #1046 on: February 02, 2014, 04:00:06 PM »

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 04:09:13 PM by Doug » Logged

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1047 on: February 02, 2014, 04:12:48 PM »

R.I.P., Philip Seymour Hoffman. It's always sad when one so talented dies so young, and this time it's even sadder because addiction has claimed another victim.
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1048 on: February 02, 2014, 05:03:22 PM »

I just heard about this on the radio.  So sad.  I remember first seeing him as a supporting actor in Twister.  I noticed how good he was even then.  He was a very talented actor, indeed and just a year younger than I.  R.I.P. Mr. Hoffman.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #1049 on: February 02, 2014, 10:10:54 PM »

R.I.P. Philip Seymour Hoffman.

He is a loss to movie making. The reason for his death is so sad. Why do such talented people do these things to themselves?
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1050 on: February 03, 2014, 06:42:06 AM »

R.I.P. Philip Seymour Hoffman.

He is a loss to movie making. The reason for his death is so sad. Why do such talented people do these things to themselves?
I liked him in every part he played, but especially in "The Big Lebowsky", "Magnolia" and "Good Morning England"
Very sad news ...

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1051 on: February 03, 2014, 07:03:50 AM »

R.I.P. Mr. Schell

Entertainment Weekly
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1052 on: February 03, 2014, 07:33:16 AM »

^ I was going to post the Maximilian Schell obit from the Times, but the Philip Seymour Hoffman news seemed to overshadow it. Anyway, here it is:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/02/movies/maximilian-schell-oscar-winning-actor-dies-at-83.html

Both Schell and Hoffman were Oscar winners, but what a contrast in what librarians used to call "conduct of life."

R.I.P.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1053 on: February 03, 2014, 11:05:39 AM »

R.I.P., Philip Seymour Hoffman. It's always sad when one so talented dies so young, and this time it's even sadder because addiction has claimed another victim.

This really is very sad. It is made all the more tragic because Philip Seymour Hoffman has three young children who will now grow up without a father :( I usually have a hard time feeling sympathetic for drug addicts, but in this particular case, it really does appear that Hoffman really tried to get clean. According to news reports he was clean for 23 years before relapsing recently. After his relapse, he went to rehab after becoming addicted to prescription medication and then moving onto heroin. We have so much more work to do to turn people away from these poisons that increasing number of people are turning to to medicate away the problems of life. Drugs are never the answer.
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1054 on: February 06, 2014, 02:16:15 PM »

This really is very sad. It is made all the more tragic because Philip Seymour Hoffman has three young children who will now grow up without a father :( I usually have a hard time feeling sympathetic for drug addicts, but in this particular case, it really does appear that Hoffman really tried to get clean. According to news reports he was clean for 23 years before relapsing recently. After his relapse, he went to rehab after becoming addicted to prescription medication and then moving onto heroin. We have so much more work to do to turn people away from these poisons that increasing number of people are turning to to medicate away the problems of life. Drugs are never the answer.

Very well said, AKA.  I agree. 
LCat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1055 on: February 07, 2014, 06:16:01 PM »

I hadn't heard about Maximilian Schell. I really liked him.

Anyway, RIP to all I've missed.

LCat

Goals are Great!
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1056 on: February 11, 2014, 09:15:57 AM »

Shirley Temple Black has passed away:  Entertainment Weekly

Through the years...

Such an icon!  Rest in peace, Mrs. Black.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 09:20:31 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #1057 on: February 11, 2014, 03:16:29 PM »

R.I.P. Shirley.
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1058 on: February 15, 2014, 12:33:42 PM »

Ralph Waite the father on the Waltons John Walton has passed away at the age of 85.  Great actor and even greater person from what I've read.  He will be missed!
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1059 on: February 15, 2014, 01:54:51 PM »

Surprised no one posted this yet ...

Sid Caesar, comic genius and television pioneer, died on Wednesday at 91:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/13/arts/television/sid-caesar-comic-who-blazed-tv-trail-dies-at-91.html

Billy Crystal provided this touching tribute to him in today's Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/15/arts/television/why-did-i-become-a-comic-he-inspired-me.html

R.I.P.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 74 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T