News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Celebrity Obituary Thread  (Read 198739 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1060 on: February 15, 2014, 01:56:03 PM »

Ralph Waite the father on the Waltons John Walton has passed away at the age of 85.  Great actor and even greater person from what I've read.  He will be missed!

R.I.P. The Times obit for him is here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/15/arts/television/ralph-waite-patriarch-in-tv-series-the-waltons-dies-at-85.html
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #1061 on: February 15, 2014, 02:26:20 PM »

Two men who made an impression on me.   

Ralph Waite, because I used to love The Waltons.

Sid Caesar who was an amazing comic.

Rest in Peace gentlemen.
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1062 on: February 17, 2014, 10:45:29 PM »

R.I.P. Mr. Waite and Mr. Caesar.  I grew up watching The Waltons and enjoyed seeing Waite in Stallone's Cliffhanger and, more recently, on NCIS.  Caesar is a name I've always loved and the legendary comic is probably where I first came across it after learning of Julius Caesar in school.  I considered naming my son Caesar but logic won out the day with Nicholas.  ;)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1063 on: February 17, 2014, 11:29:19 PM »

Well, there were a couple of guys named Nicholas who were Czars (the word is derived from Caesar), so you sort of have it both ways.
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1064 on: February 17, 2014, 11:47:00 PM »

Well, there were a couple of guys named Nicholas who were Czars (the word is derived from Caesar), so you sort of have it both ways.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I can have my cake and eat it, too.  Also, there's Saint Nicholas.  Although my son wasn't named after anyone in particular, I like the name as portrayed by the actor Peter Breck in the TV western The Big Valley.  Sorry, Clint, but Rowdy just wouldn't cut it.  That would be as bad as Elvis or Tiberius.
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #1065 on: February 24, 2014, 11:16:44 AM »

See you on the other side, Egon.  :(

Harold Ramis
1944-2014

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=115260
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1066 on: February 24, 2014, 11:20:14 AM »

Wow, so sad.  RIP Mr. Ramis!  :-\
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #1067 on: February 24, 2014, 03:37:35 PM »

RIP Mr Ramis.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #1068 on: February 24, 2014, 08:48:59 PM »

I've been wanting to watch the Ghostbusters movies again, so after hearing about Harold Ramis's passing today, I watched the first one this evening. And then, of course, he was a great writer and director as well.
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1069 on: February 27, 2014, 08:48:03 PM »

Shirley Temple Black has passed away:  Entertainment Weekly

Belatedly...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/12/arts/shirley-temple-black-screen-star-dies-at-85.html?emc=edit_na_20140211

When I was a child, she was my idol! In particularly I was a fan of her television series “Shirley Temple’s Storybook”.   :)

Rest in peace, Shirley Temple.  :(

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1070 on: February 28, 2014, 06:53:41 AM »

Belatedly...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/12/arts/shirley-temple-black-screen-star-dies-at-85.html?emc=edit_na_20140211

When I was a child, she was my idol! In particularly I was a fan of her television series “Shirley Temple’s Storybook”.   :)

Rest in peace, Shirley Temple.  :(

I remember hearing about Shirley Temple as far back as I can remember and seeing her movies on tv.  I was never a big fan, really but now that I'm a father of a 2 year old daughter, I'd love to introduce Shirley Temple to my little princess, Nina.  I wonder how she'll react to her movies and performances. 

When I think of Shirley Temple the little girl entertainer/star, I am saddened by her departure but she did live a long life which seemed to be very prosperous, productive and happy.  Once again Shirley, Rest In Peace and God Bless You!
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1071 on: March 02, 2014, 08:59:12 PM »

'' Alain Resnais, Acclaimed French Filmmaker, Is Dead at 91 ''

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/03/movies/alain-resnais-acclaimed-french-filmmaker-is-dead-at-91.html?ref=world

Alain Resnais, the French filmmaker who helped introduce literary modernism to the movies and became an international art-house star with nonlinear narrative films like “Hiroshima Mon Amour” and “Last Year at Marienbad,” died on Saturday in Paris. He was 91.

His death was confirmed by the French president, François Hollande, who called Mr. Resnais one of France’s greatest filmmakers.

Although his name was often associated with the French New Wave directors — notably Jean-Luc Godard and François Truffaut, whose careers coalesced around the same time his did — Mr. Resnais actually belonged to a tradition of Left Bank intellectualism that drew on more established, high-culture sources than the moviecentric influences of the New Wave. Where Godard’s 1960 film, “Breathless,” was a pastiche of low-budget American gangster films, Mr. Resnais’s breakthrough feature, “Hiroshima Mon Amour,” in 1959, took on two subjects weighted with social and political significance: the American nuclear destruction of Hiroshima, Japan, and the German occupation of France.

R.I.P

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1072 on: March 02, 2014, 10:24:41 PM »

Renais was probably the oldest working filmmaker alive after Portugal's Manoel de Oliveira. Those of his films that I've seen have always been thought-provoking, even if some were more enjoyable than others.

From the Times obit linked to above:

His last film, “The Life of Riley,” had its premiere last month at the Berlin International Film Festival, where it won the Alfred Bauer Prize. This particular Silver Bear award celebrates a film that “opens new perspectives on cinematic art.”

Still opening new perspectives at 91! What more could you wish for?

R.I.P.
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1073 on: March 03, 2014, 09:09:55 AM »

Renais was probably the oldest working filmmaker alive after Portugal's Manoel de Oliveira. Those of his films that I've seen have always been thought-provoking, even if some were more enjoyable than others.

From the Times obit linked to above:

Still opening new perspectives at 91! What more could you wish for?

R.I.P.

Wow, very interesting.  RIP Mr. Renais. 
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #1074 on: March 14, 2014, 05:36:52 AM »

The great voice-over artist Hal Douglas has died at age 89. He, along with the late Don LaFontaine, made the phrase "In a World..." the wonderful movie trailer cliche we've heard so often over the years. R.I.P.

Hal Douglas Dies

Very funny self-parody trailer for the Jerry Seinfeld movie The Comedian.

One of my favorite movies of 2013 was the comedy In a World... about voice-over work and bringing that phrase back to the movie trailer. In a World...trailer

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1075 on: March 14, 2014, 06:51:00 AM »

There was a very nice obit of Hal Douglas in the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/13/movies/hal-douglas-89-superstar-of-movie-trailer-narrators-dies.html

The flexibility of his voice, and the longevity of his career — he worked steadily until two years ago — made him a “one name” phenomenon in Hollywood, said Marice Tobias, a consultant and voice coach to many A-list actors. “When you go past superstar status, you reach icon status in this business, where people know you by one name only,” she said. “That was Hal.”

Mr. Douglas, who never lived in Hollywood, preferring to work from studios in New York, took a more relaxed view of his work. “I’m not outstanding in any way,” he told The New York Times in 2009. “It’s a craft that you learn, like making a good pair of shoes. And I just consider myself a good shoemaker.”

R.I.P.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #1076 on: March 14, 2014, 08:25:15 AM »

RIP Mr Douglas.

His lovely voice is synonymous with move trailers. It wont be the same to hear someone else on trailers.   
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1077 on: March 16, 2014, 06:54:51 AM »

Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight Show' favorite, dies at 78

David Brenner is one of the first comedians I remember hearing about and seeing on tv as a kid. 

RIP Mr. Brenner.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 01:33:01 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1078 on: March 23, 2014, 10:21:03 PM »

Actor James Rebhorn, seen most recently in turns on “White Collar” and as the father of Claire Danes’ character Carrie Mathison on “Homeland,” died Friday. He was 65.

Along with his supporting role on the Showtime CIA hit, he recently played Special Agent Reese Hughes on USA Network’s “White Collar.” He has a special place in “Seinfeld” history as well, having played the district attorney who sent the gang to jail in the 1998 series finale.

The character actor appeared in several big screen hits, including “Meet the Parents,” (2000) “Scent of a Woman” (1992) and “Independence Day,” (1996) where he had a memorable role as the Secretary of Defense. Other notable credits include “The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle,” (2000) David’s Fincher’s “The Game” (1997) and comedy “My Cousin Vinny.” (1992)

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/homeland-actor-james-rebhorn-dies-at-65-1201143728/

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1079 on: March 24, 2014, 12:03:49 AM »

The David Brenner obit in the Times was quite entertaining ...

He retained his sense of humor to the end. “In David’s final request,” his family said in a statement on Saturday, “he asked that $100 in small bills be placed in his left sock ‘just in case tipping is recommended where I’m going.’ ”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/16/arts/television/david-brenner-favorite-on-tonight-show-dies-at-78.html

(I also note that the author of the obit is named "Peter Keepnews." Talk about nomen est omen!)

R.I.P., David Brenner.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 75 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T