News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Celebrity Obituary Thread  (Read 204034 times)
bdc28
Classic Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1340 on: April 26, 2016, 12:22:08 PM »

Jed, I have NO PROBLEM with you being a fan. But I cite fact after fact, you disregard them and keep trying to post over me like Im an insubordinate child and that by you insulting me you will throw me off my game.

FACT: You came here gently saying respect for Prince's death and gently "bringing in the drug thing" and belittling his efforts by comparison to Elvis and MJ.
FACT: You have been disputed by points you cant argue. That he did rip off Little Richard (no harm no foul) that he was a pedophile (he was having sex with Priscilla when she was a budding 14 years old) and the funniest portion of your post which I find hysterical....

Are you really saying that drugs could cloud Prince's legacy and using ELVIS as the barometer against it?? Seriously??? Elvis didnt have an orafice he didnt stick a drug or food into. His OWN BAND, and best friends said he was a slobbering drunk and a stoned slob at the end....at his terrible old age of what.....42?

I dont sh*t on Elvis accomplishments at all, they are point of record and my opinion of him good or bad doesnt negotiate it. If me saying that Elvis was fallable, human and in many cases WRONG....bothers you I apologize that it bothers you.

But those are points of fact.....and respectfully Ill drop off on this because it is pointless to argue with die hard fans.

"I once shot an elephant in my pajamas. What he was doing wearing my pajamas I have no idea..."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1341 on: April 26, 2016, 12:22:22 PM »

I'm not deleting anything. I'm all for impassioned posts on the board... god knows we don't have enough of that anymore.

Maybe some of this should be moved to the Elvis thread, but it would be hard to separate the Prince stuff from the Elvis in this discussion. If it continues, that's the only moderation I'd do. Nothing here should be deleted. No forum rules have been broken.

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

Endeavor to persevere.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1342 on: April 26, 2016, 12:41:56 PM »

Jed, I have NO PROBLEM with you being a fan. But I cite fact after fact, you disregard them and keep trying to post over me like Im an insubordinate child and that by you insulting me you will throw me off my game.

FACT: You came here gently saying respect for Prince's death and gently "bringing in the drug thing" and belittling his efforts by comparison to Elvis and MJ.
FACT: You have been disputed by points you cant argue. That he did rip off Little Richard (no harm no foul) that he was a pedophile (he was having sex with Priscilla when she was a budding 14 years old) and the funniest portion of your post which I find hysterical....

Are you really saying that drugs could cloud Prince's legacy and using ELVIS as the barometer against it?? Seriously??? Elvis didnt have an orafice he didnt stick a drug or food into. His OWN BAND, and best friends said he was a slobbering drunk and a stoned slob at the end....at his terrible old age of what.....42?

I dont sh*t on Elvis accomplishments at all, they are point of record and my opinion of him good or bad doesnt negotiate it. If me saying that Elvis was fallable, human and in many cases WRONG....bothers you I apologize that it bothers you.

But those are points of fact.....and respectfully Ill drop off on this because it is pointless to argue with die hard fans.

I did not bring in "the drug thing".  As a matter of fact, when the Michael Jackson pedophilia issue was thrown into the mix, shortly thereafter I said I would no longer discuss these artists' personal issues.  To be honest, they may have been musical geniuses, but as for Jackson and Presley, they were both morons.  If they had an ounce of common sense, they'd be above ground, not taking dirt naps.  Who knows, maybe they'd have performed together.  No, really. 

You and I can say we're presenting facts all we like and tell each other we're wrong but that doesn't prove a bloody thing.  It means nothing, really.  We obviously don't agree so it's best to leave it at that.  Also, I have corrected myself where it came to Prince being a crossover artist. 

As for Elvis' so-called "theft" of other artists' music all I can say is from all I've seen, heard and learned over the years I wholeheartedly disagree.  He may be my favorite but as far as I'm concerned, all of those artists I mentioned from the 1950's are great.  Along with Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash and a whole bunch of others.  That era of rock & roll is my favorite.  It was the most fun and energetic. 

So go on, continue to tell me I'm, ahem, "wrong".  I can take it.  Continue to make fun of Elvis' personal life, be it drugs or weight.  I actually agree with most, if not all of that so I can take that, too. 

Truthfully, Michael Jackson and Prince will probably still be popular decades from now.  Each left behind an incredible musical legacy, be it tarnished or not.   
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 12:43:01 PM by Jed (Brian) Cooper » Logged

I reckon so.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1343 on: April 26, 2016, 12:46:45 PM »

I'm trying to keep an open mind... but I just can't see the point that without Elvis, we wouldn't have Prince.

I'm not sure that Elvis didn't do a lot more than perform black music in a white man's body. So, the music was already there.... wasn't it? How much was changed by him? Was it just that he made it acceptable for white people to buy it? And if that's the case, then no I can't thank Elvis for paving the way for Michael Jackson and Prince.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

Endeavor to persevere.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1344 on: April 26, 2016, 12:54:00 PM »

I'm trying to keep an open mind... but I just can't see the point that without Elvis, we wouldn't have Prince.

I'm not sure that Elvis didn't do a lot more than perform black music in a white man's body. So, the music was already there.... wasn't it? How much was changed by him? Was it just that he made it acceptable for white people to buy it? And if that's the case, then no I can't thank Elvis for paving the way for Michael Jackson and Prince.

It wasn't just Elvis.  He did do a lot more than perform black music.  He was successful in multiple genres of music, moreso than any artist before or since but I digress.  Yes, the music was already there but the difference was in how he was recording and performing it.  Had he actually copied the songs the way they were already done, he most likely wouldn't have been successful.  He performed a bluesy song, "That's All Right (Mama)" with a fast-paced country feel to it and a country tune, "Blue Moon Of Kentucky" with a hint of blues to it.  That is the equation, the "big bang" of rockabilly and rock & roll.  It wasn't just the recordings, but the performances.  He didn't just stand and sing into the microphone ala Frank Sinatra, Perry Como and so many before him.  His early concerts had them coming out in droves to see what the hype was all about.  So yes, to give credit to just one artist is not right.  I credit all of the artists I mentioned because it was their brand of music that paved the way for rock & roll to take over the mainstream for decades.   
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 01:01:56 PM by Jed (Brian) Cooper » Logged

I reckon so.
bdc28
Classic Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1345 on: April 26, 2016, 01:08:01 PM »

In being fair to Jed there are many of his points in his last post I completely agree with. Where I think the comparisons fall short is honestly, Prince.

There are many things I can say or not say about Elvis good and bad, but he was for all intent purposes a great singer whether you like the source or not.

MJ started a great singer as a child and morphed into one of the greatest stage performers that the world will ever see. Not comparible in any aspect between the two.

But I honestly believe thats where the comparisons stop. Where alot of people like to throw weight around to their favorites that this person or that person was a musical prodigy, Prince stands above them all...in a way that all musicians young and old take note and completely respect him.

Take the song SOFT AND WET. Now where alot of people could take it or leave it, just listening to the music in and of itself...its unbelievably complicated rifts and melodies overlapping themselves....the type of music that you could say would be Miles Davis calibur. But this was composed by a 19 year old kid. Every note, every instrument.

Prince could play 27 instruments that are known, all on a high level. He composed extrodinary high level music that whether you liked the songs or not, were genius.

He also, and I am sorry I am calling this one....was a TRUE trailblazer. He let people question his sexuality for years with intent, absorbing their scorn and love at the same time. This was when it was NOT fashionable to be gay in any way.

And his range as a singer was also UNBELIEVABLY impressive.

See, this is why I dont think the comparisons match. MJ and Elvis, were for all intent purpose, just singers. They didnt write, they didnt compose. I mean MJ wrote some music but it was unbelievably basic even though catchy.

Prince, when you view his whole as a sum of many great individual parts, can never happen again.

THAT is the tragedy of his death. Something that great, had to end.

"I once shot an elephant in my pajamas. What he was doing wearing my pajamas I have no idea..."
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

Endeavor to persevere.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1346 on: April 26, 2016, 01:15:47 PM »

I see the problem now.  It is believed I was comparing the talents between the three artists when nothing could be further from the truth.  What I was comparing was their impact as crossover artists, which, again, I have corrected myself with respect to Prince.  Elvis was a great stage performer but obviously Michael Jackson was a much more talented dancer.  Then again, Elvis was not known for being a great guitar player either yet he gets criticized for it.  Ridiciulous.  He was also one up on Elvis in that he could write.  That's not to say Elvis never could; we'll never know because he just didn't.  Why he gets flack for that as well is beyond me, because Sinatra never does!  WTF?!  Anyway, Prince wasn't as good a performer as Jackson on stage but that's not to say he wasn't good at all.  Just that Jackson was better.  Prince has the upper hand on both in the writing department, obviously.  Also, in the instruments he could play.  I have said before Prince was a phenomenal guitar player.  What I can comfortably say all three of these performers shared was their passion for performing.  They were consummate in that regard and always enjoyed pleasing their fans.   

« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 01:16:52 PM by Jed (Brian) Cooper » Logged

I reckon so.
bdc28
Classic Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1347 on: April 26, 2016, 01:40:46 PM »

I can completely concur there Elvis impact was much further reaching....he was the first phenom ever.

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1348 on: April 26, 2016, 02:04:53 PM »

There's more of a meeting of the minds here... but I still wouldn't say that MJ was a better performer than Prince.

What? Did I really say that? Yes... even though MJ may be considered a better performer, it's not that cut and dry.

I mean, they were both incredibly awesome. I've never seen MJ. I've seen Prince in concert. He was a 10/10 performer. He was exciting to watch, and where Michael was maybe more talented with the dance moves, Prince had him in spades with sexuality. If Michael was PG rated (the worst thing he did was grab his crotch), Prince was at least R, if not X.

And BDC is right... we never really knew if he was gay or not (and that was still a time, like BDC said... when being gay wasn't all that okay yet), "I'm not a woman... I'm not a man... I am something that you'll never understand."  Lyrics from one of his best songs.

Even though it's not his concert, go back a page or two and watch him perform "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".  Watch that oh-so-cool throw of his guitar in the air as he pranced off stage. He had the most charisma of ANYONE, and I'd put him up against MJ. Yeah, I really would.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1349 on: April 26, 2016, 08:50:52 PM »

Let's remember Prince for the great musician and performer he was, with this epic video.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7NN3gsSf-Ys" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7NN3gsSf-Ys</a>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NN3gsSf-Ys
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1350 on: April 27, 2016, 02:58:08 AM »

Several posts have been removed from this discussion about Prince as they breached our community standards.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 03:01:10 AM by The Schofield Kid » Logged

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

Endeavor to persevere.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1351 on: April 27, 2016, 05:48:59 AM »

Several posts have been removed from this discussion about Prince as they breached our community standards.

Understandable. Thank you.

I reckon so.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1352 on: April 29, 2016, 07:52:23 PM »

It's a shame that Superbowl video I posted further up on this page was changed to Private. Nothing with Prince stays on YouTube for more than a few days. I didn't download that one because I figured it was NFL material and wouldn't be taken down. Oh well... maybe it will pop up again.

I was in a grocery store tonight and saw the news on the National Enquirer that Prince died of AIDS. The woman behind me, who I'd guess was around 60 years old, picked up the magazine. She looked at me "I can't believe it. Do you?" I hadn't heard of it before, and just said "I don't know. But, he's always been a favorite of mine."  She said "Me too. I've always loved Prince."  Then she went on about how the paper should be sued for writing such trash. Well, I looked it up, and that's the latest news. And I guess it's not too surprising, if true. It sounds like him though to put his faith in God to heal him, and to go off his medications.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3562640/Prince-diagnosed-AIDs-six-months-died-refused-treatment-believed-God-heal-him.html

It might be coming from a rag, but it seems about right.

Conan, is this one of the SNL performances you were talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW3MtnQwfg0

I saved it in case it disappears. Not embedding because I know it won't be around for long.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 10:11:22 PM by Matt » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1353 on: April 29, 2016, 07:54:26 PM »

Oh, here's the SNL40 After Party performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNKnC9K8Uo

(Saved that one too... my hard drive is going to soon be half Prince.)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1354 on: April 29, 2016, 07:57:12 PM »

higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1355 on: May 22, 2016, 09:05:46 PM »

" Former Megadeth drummer Nick Menza dies after collapsing on stage "

The former drummer with the US thrash metal band Megadeth, Nick Menza, has died after collapsing on stage at a gig in California. Menza, who was 51, is said to have suffered a heart attack during one of his regular sessions with his band OHM at a small Los Angeles jazz club, the Baked Potato.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/may/22/nick-menza-megadeth-drummer-dies-collapsing-stage-los-angeles

http://www.barks.jp/news/?id=1000127292&page=2
 R.I.P.

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1356 on: May 29, 2016, 03:00:10 AM »

Burt Kwouk, who was best known for playing Inspector Clouseau's manservant Cato in the Pink Panther films, has died aged 85.
He appeared in seven Pink Panther films opposite Peter Sellers as Clouseau's servant who regularly attacked his employer to keep him alert.
He also starred in BBC sitcom Last of the Summer Wine from 2002 to 2010.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36370997

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1357 on: June 03, 2016, 09:50:09 PM »

Muhammad Ali, R.I.P.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/04/sports/muhammad-ali-dies.html

Muhammad Ali, the three-time world heavyweight boxing champion who helped define his turbulent times as the most charismatic and controversial sports figure of the 20th century, died on Friday. He was 74.

His death was confirmed by Bob Gunnell, a family spokesman.

Ali was the most thrilling if not the best heavyweight ever, carrying into the ring a physically lyrical, unorthodox boxing style that fused speed, agility and power more seamlessly than that of any fighter before him.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1358 on: June 03, 2016, 11:51:51 PM »

He was The Greatest.  Rest in Peace, Mr. Ali.

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1359 on: June 04, 2016, 12:14:11 AM »

I never met Muhammad Ali, but he was a neighbor in my hometown in the 70's.  I checked my neighborhood Facebook group to see if anyone had any good stories... lots of them. 

A bunch of my friends and I knocked on his door. Not only did he welcome us but we spent almost 2 hours with him! Magic tricks, signed autographs, a tour of the house, his aunt played piano, saw his car collection and showed the boys boxing moves. He was so generous of his time with a bunch of 13-15 year olds. Great man!

Met him when my buddy and I drove by on motorcycles in 1971.(senior year in HS) . He was in his yard and invited us in. He gave us some chocolate cake. Great guy! He signed a one $ bill for me.

Met him at that house August of 1971.A gal pal & I were cruising and decided to pay a visit. He drove up in a jalopey. .My gal pal was afraid to get out of the car. I said "Mr Ali, I have a girl friend in my car who wants to spar with you." He said: "I'll spar with any girl any time ." He looked really really TALL. Finally he said :"Excuse me but I have to get to bed I'm really tired. Please stop by again."Ii'll never forget that night !

I have his autograph in my yearbook.

I was in that house and met him in 1974.he had a living room that was all white and a fountain in the middle of the house.lived in willowdale across the road.met his kids they were watching reel to reel movies.

Such a nice guy. I remember seeing him in the front yard. When my husband was a kid he wrestled Muhammad Ali in that driveway.

One day in April '71 Sadye Faye Henson, a friend of hers who was visiting from out of town and I went up to the house, knocked on the door and asked if Mohamad Ali was home. The person who answered the door said yes and invited us in. He then led us to the kitchen where Ali was sitting around along with some friends. We asked for his autograph. He signed a Pabst Blue ribbon cocktail napkin for each of us and then we left. We laughed and giggled all the way home. I now have it framed and hanging in my home. Still don't believe we had the nerve to do it but I'm glad we did!

He used 2 pick me up thumbin' 2 East on Kresson Rd in the mornings,....in a white Silver Ghost Rolls Royce....we became quite friendly,...& he admired me that I was Up Front with him that I was a Smokinin Joe Frazier Fan,....He was The Greatest,....!!!!

I had an experience similar to yours. My friends and I rode our bikes to see where he lived. We were at the top of the driveway and he came out. We thought he was going to chase us away but he invited us in and spent an hour with us.

He would occasionally come out to the gate and sign autographs. I was fortuneate enough, one day, to be at my cousins house, 3 or 4 doors away, when Ali made of these appearences. Remember, Randy Noble?

I took the same picture last fall (of his house) when I was visiting. House was for sale. We used to ask my dad to drive by after church. One Day Muhammad Ali was out front...talked to us and gave his autograph. Great memory.

I remember seeing Ali jogging in the park by the creek behind the Music Fair. No bodyguards, no entourage. Just him and his dog. Smiling and waving to people as he passed by.

I remember going and hanging out in front of his house, and he came out and talked to me and gave me his autograph.

We trick or treated at his house one year, maybe 1970? I guess he wasn't expecting anyone because he gave each of us a banana!

I think that's enough to get an idea of what kind of man he was.  :)
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 75 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T