News: See Eastwood's latest, THE 15:17 TO PARIS, coming on DVD May 22!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Ask Anything About Computers Thread  (Read 36005 times)
Lena

View Profile Email
« on: July 19, 2009, 02:14:53 PM »

I want to buy myself a new pc,

i decided to not go custom this time and so, i need to decide between DELL or HP ...

my budget for my new pc would be around 850$, i saw a couple of good deals on both websites, but i still dont know which company to choose...

alot of people complains about DELL for the customer service and other ppls say that HP computers are better, but then, other ppls say that i should choose DELL because its easier to works on parts if i would have problems...

what do you think ?? what are your experiences ??

thank you very much !! :)

http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/desktops?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&~ck=mn

http://www.hp.com/canada/products/landing/consumer_desktops/index.html
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 02:18:13 PM by Lena » Logged

The Mayor: Well, let's have it.
Callahan: Have what?
The Mayor: Your report! what have you been doing?
Callahan: Oh, well for the past three quarters of an hour I've been sitting on my ass in your outer office waiting on you!
Lena

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 02:35:26 PM »

its been a while that we know about the ''Dual Core'' processor, but these times we can see Intel® ''Core™2 Quad'' processor

what is the main difference ??

more powerfull ? probably...

but, is it a big enough difference ? i mean.. is it worth it ?

should we buy computers that have a ''Core™2 Quad'' processor instead of ''Dual Core'' ??

do you think that it would really be worth it to go with this latest tecnology ??

thank you :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 02:37:06 PM by Lena » Logged

Callahan: Oh, well for the past three quarters of an hour I've been sitting on my ass in your outer office waiting on you!
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 10:38:08 PM »

We've merged Lena's two threads, Dell or HP & Processors into a brand new thread for all computer related questions.

So this is the thread for any help you may need with your PC.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 09:45:45 PM »

At last a thread for me to ask those dumb questions I always seem to come up with.  :)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 10:04:51 PM »

Well, we're still waiting for anyone to come up with answers, though! ;D

(I was hoping Conan might have turned up here by now.)
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »

I have to say that Vista is still driving me up the wall.   It was only yesterday that I discovered how to switch the PC off.   :-[ :-[    How dumb can I get??

I wonder if anyone knows why I get sounds like an email comming through when there are no emails or messages.  It seems to happen when I am posting something.

The other problem I have is getting my emails in a format I like.   I think I will be installing Outlook as Windows Mail requires information I don't have to get it started.   I am afraid I live by the adage if it ain't broke don't fix it Of course that is because when you get to my age you become set in your ways and your PC stops being a trusted friend when you have to change the main package.   :D
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 10:42:25 PM »

(I was hoping Conan might have turned up here by now.)

I've got nothing ground-breaking to add...Quad core is faster than Dual Core, as its basically the power of 4 CPUs versus 2.  Both AMD and Intel have their own versions.  I have an older dual core AMD that I bought a few years ago and its decent enough for what I do, though I will be upgrading later in the year to a top end AMD Phenom II (which is their version of Quad core).

Is there a big enough difference?  Depends on what you use your PC for.  The entry level quad cores are cheap enough to where it doesn't really matter these days.  Generally what happens when someone tells me that they want a PC for "just e-mail and Word" is they buy a cheapie, install tons of useless crap (everything but MS Word), and then try to watch a BluRay movie while downloading half the Internet and then complain about it being slow.  CPU isn't everything, the amount of RAM, the size of the hard drive, and video card quality are also important if you are looking to do more than the basics.

I usually build my own.  But for the average Joe who isn't into gaming or graphic design, 1200 US dollars is a good sweet spot for a brand name (Dell, HP, etc...) PC with a monitor that will last a few years.  There are no "deals" and if you don't know what specifications you need (Hard drive, RAM, Sound/Video cards, etc..) then go do some research.  The bottom line is that you get what you pay for just like anything else.  Ignore bull$#!t come-ons like "FREE USB drive and Mousepad!".  If you get a 500 dollar computer, it will perform like a 500 dollar computer, and will be relatively slow if you do more than browse the Internet, play online chess, and/or write e-mails.

Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 11:19:46 PM »

As for Dell versus HP...I think Dell is a slightly better value, though both are solid choices if you are going to get a brand name PC.  Yea customer support is crap everywhere these days, so don't expect a super-genius on the other end of the phone if you have a problem.  I think its a bit less crap with Dell than others, but even they outsource to "recipe fix" PC technicians who are trained more on faking an American accent than actual PC support.

One minor disadvantage to going with a brand-name PC is that some of the components are proprietary, meaning you may need a "Dell brand" motherboard for a Dell case instead of a cheaper, faster generic.  PC manufacturers (all of them do this, Compaq is probably the most guilty) are getting away with this less and less as buyers become more savvy, but it still goes on to some extent.  The alternative is to build your own (or pay someone to do that for you), though its not worth it unless you know (or want to know) how to build/upgrade/troubleshoot PCs.

All the PCs at my work (both US and international offices) are Dell, and they have been good to us.  If I didn't enjoy building a new PC every few years and needed to go name-brand, I would choose them over the other options.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 12:58:19 AM by Conan » Logged

Lena

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 08:47:57 AM »

grrr... i was going crazy with that posting problems  :D

thank you Conan for the infos :)

i finally decided to buy a Dell.

i found a great deal here :

for 798$

-Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q8200 (4MB L2, 2.33GHz, 1333FSB)
-Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit (Windows 7 ready)
-Buy 3 Years Next Business Onsite/In Home Service, Get 3 Year for 2 Year Pricing Receive $40 OFF
-6GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 DIMMs
-1TB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
-Integrated Intel® GMA 3100 Graphics
-16X DVD+/-RW Drive
-Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
-McAfee Security Center with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 30-Days
-Dell USB Entry Keyboard
-Dell USB Optical Mouse

I have few questions about it tough...

I dont know if those are good graphic and sound cards..

Dell recommend :

Sound card : Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio (add $60 or $2/month)

Graphic card : ATI Radeon HD 3450 256MB (add $50 or $2/month)

others available : ATI Radeon HD 3650 256MB (add $100 or $3/month)
                          : ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB (add $75 or $2/month) --------- why is this one cheaper, it seems better than the other ?

also, i do not play games on pc's or... the only games ''i might'' play is Diablo 2 and Command and Conquer Red Alert (the old game)

there are other deals on the Dell website, ill probably check again because i know that i really wouldnt need a HD of 1TB... i already have an external HD of 500GB.

in general, what do you think about it ?? for all that, i think it a good price... and like i said, even if i wouldnt need that kind of performance, for that price, i could get it anyway, and the faster, the better... no ??

most of what i do is download videos, mp3 and surf the net, but i still want a pc that would be good enough for the next lets say around 5 years.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 02:42:26 PM by Lena » Logged

Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 07:00:41 PM »

for 798$

-Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q8200 (4MB L2, 2.33GHz, 1333FSB)
-Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit (Windows 7 ready)
-Buy 3 Years Next Business Onsite/In Home Service, Get 3 Year for 2 Year Pricing Receive $40 OFF
-6GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 DIMMs
-1TB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
-Integrated Intel® GMA 3100 Graphics
-16X DVD+/-RW Drive
-Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
-McAfee Security Center with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 30-Days
-Dell USB Entry Keyboard
-Dell USB Optical Mouse

I dont know if those are good graphic and sound cards...
The sound is probably good enough for what you do unless you are an audio nut.  The on-board graphics is complete junk and that along with the entry level CPU keeps the price below 1k, but as long as you don't do any gaming, video editing, heavy graphics work, or watch hi-def movies it should be ok.

Dell recommend :
Sound card : Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio (add $60 or $2/month)
Yep, thats a good card.  If you listen to music often and have a trained ear for sound you should get it.

others available : ATI Radeon HD 3650 256MB (add $100 or $3/month)
                          : ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB (add $75 or $2/month)
http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=585&card2=554
This link shows a spec comparison between the two.  Long story short, the 3650 is faster.

also, i do not play games on pc's or... the only games ''i might'' play is Diablo 2 and Command and Conquer Red Alert (the old game)
Either of the cards above would be good enough for Diablo 2 and C&C.  The on-board video might be choppy if you crank up the graphics quality on either game.

in general, what do you think about it ?? most of what i do is download videos, mp3 and surf the net, but i still want a pc that would be good enough for the next lets say around 5 years.
Its an ok deal and worth 800 bucks, but its not a steal.  There is a bit more RAM than I was expecting, but nothing else jumped out at me.  You won't find a computer under 1000 dollars that will last 5 years unless you continue to ONLY do e-mail, browse the Net, and play Diablo 2.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 09:56:16 PM by Conan » Logged

Lena

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 06:07:59 AM »

''entry level'' CPU ?

i think ill try to find another deal... i do not need 1TB and some other stuff there, i will check for other models where i could change the sound and graphic cards for better ones and that it wouldnt cost me as much(because if i keep this model and that i switch for the better cards, it will go up to 900$ without the taxes).

do you think i could be ok with 4GB  of memory ?? (i was told its still good enough)

ill check for another model later and i will post it.

thanks again for your review :)

Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 07:14:11 AM »

''entry level'' CPU ?
Low-end.

i think ill try to find another deal... i do not need 1TB...
If you don't mess around with alot of huge files, like videos or pictures, then yea 500mb or even 350mb would be good enough.  Especially so if you have external drives.

do you think i could be ok with 4GB  of memory ?? (i was told its still good enough)
Yea, 4gb is fine for now.

Anyway...Its a decent setup from Dell, though I would go for a slightly faster CPU and get a real video card.  So if you downgrade to a smaller hard drive and went with 4GB of RAM, that would probably put it at around 900 to 1k range.

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 12:03:20 AM »

I've mentioned before that I have my profile set up here on the board to have my PM's that I get sent to my email as well and sometimes some don't go through.

Now it seems I'm not getting some emails as well. Whether they're new messages or one's that are being replied to.

Is there a limit to the amount of emails you can send in a week or month. I don't send that many but I can't work out what else the problem could be?

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 01:16:51 AM »

I don't know the answer, but I suppose for anyone to answer you'd need to tell us what e-mail client you use.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a limit, though. Could it have something to do with your Internet service provider?
Southern cat
Member Extraordinaire

The Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 01:24:22 AM »

With my hotmail a/c, it tells you how much free storage I have. I don't think there is a limit either.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 02:03:27 AM »

I don't know the answer, but I suppose for anyone to answer you'd need to tell us what e-mail client you use.

Microsoft Outlook 2000.

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 03:51:41 PM »

How do these USB storage thingys work?

Do you just plug them in to your PC and store files on them instead of using CD's?

Southern cat
Member Extraordinaire

The Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 03:55:19 PM »

Do you just plug them in to your PC and store files on them instead of using CD's

Yep that's right, just another portable storage device. USB/Memory Stick.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 04:01:14 PM by Southern cat » Logged
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 04:41:11 PM »

So when you plug it into the front of your PC, does anything come up on the screen or what happens?

Southern cat
Member Extraordinaire

The Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 04:49:15 PM »

Your computer will recognize a new device, read what's on it and give you prompts whether you want to download from it or not. Or when you go to save and it is plugged in, you'll have that option to save on to the stick or some where else on your pc.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T