News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: High Plains Drifter....The best start to a movie.  (Read 7105 times)
sgorran

View Profile Email
« on: July 20, 2009, 09:59:04 PM »

I saw this movie 3 times or so, but the last time it just hit me.....these are the best opening scenes to any movie.  This is my 1st post, and I'm sure everyone is very familiar with the movie, but is it just me or is this the best start to a movie?  And it's not just the scenes, but the direction, and especially the acting.  From the 3 tough guys, especially the leader, to the barber, to the broad.  What great acting!  They are so good!  I cant' get tired of seeing or thinking about that beginning.  Of course, it's very cool from a guys point of view.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 10:03:50 PM »

It's pretty cool from a girl's point of view, also! (Well, maybe not the "broad" part, though.) ;)

Welcome to the Board, sgorran! 8)
sgorran

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 10:20:44 PM »

Thanks for the welcome, KC.  Clint did some good acting there at the beginning too, but it almost seems like he was the "straight" man, and the others were the ones who really acted out their parts around him.  That's what really made this opening scene the best.  The little mannerisms of the lead tough guy, nervous and intimidated, yet trying to be intimidating.  The excitement, and nervousness, of the barber, his expressions.  But the broad really made that scene.  "....and the manners of a goat!"  And Clint was just so cool too....never intimidated, no worries; just so self-assured.  I guess that's why we love this guy in the 1st place.
Aline

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 05:28:09 AM »

It's pretty cool from a girl's point of view, also! (Well, maybe not the "broad" part, though.) ;)

That's right. The first time I watched that movie it was late night, I was sleepy but I couldn't stop until it finished.

Not sure if I understood what sgorran meant by broad but if it is what I'm thinking, I love his self-confidence and his "broadness" in this movie too. :)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 05:34:50 AM »

I think sgorran is referring to the "lady" the Stranger encounters as he rides into town (and shortly thereafter, has a closer encounter with).
Aline

Email
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 05:48:58 AM »

I think sgorran is referring to the "lady" the Stranger encounters as he rides into town (and shortly thereafter, has a closer encounter with).

I know, I was just kidding. That's when he first talks to Callie. It is among my favorite scenes of his movies. :)

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 03:25:56 PM »

You remember the one about the gal who went abroad ... "but she came back a lady," don't you?  ;D
Aline

Email
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 04:53:20 PM »

You remember the one about the gal who went abroad ... "but she came back a lady," don't you?  ;D

I didn't get it, KC. :( Explain to me.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 06:05:30 PM »

Well, it's a play on "broad," meaning a woman who's coarse and vulgar (if not worse), and "abroad," meaning "to foreign parts."

Sorry, Aline, puns don't cross language boundaries very well!   :-[
sgorran

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 09:57:16 PM »

My post said I think this is the best beginning, the best opening scenes to a movie, not just because this is Clint, but the scenes, the action, the acting, and it's just so cool.  High Plains Drifter is so darn bad (good)!  I would like to see or know about a better opening or start to a movie, not just a Clint Eastwood movie.  So people, am I just plain right in my assertation, or is there something better out there? 
Dr.J.Jones

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 11:05:55 AM »

'High Plains Drifter' is probably one of my favourite Eastwood movies. The only criticism I have of it is when the Mexican's are tearing down that guy's barn (whose name escapes me) it seems as though the curse word the guy uses has been dropped out of the film ("what the f... you doing to my barn?") It doesn't sound like he started to say it & then stopped himself, it actually sounds like it was removed.

The reason I ask is when this film was shown on the BBC in England many years ago, before it started the announcer read out a statement from Eastwood where he insisted the movie be played in it's entirity, uncensored. Unfortunately I cannot remember if the curse word was in their version or not.

I just wondered if Eastwood at the time was a victim of censorship or I have it wrong.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 11:32:18 AM »

I would think that in 1973, when the film was released, there wasn't much profanity of that nature in a major studio movie. I'd kind of doubt that the word was in the original studio release in the first place.
Dr.J.Jones

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 11:57:35 AM »

I would think that in 1973, when the film was released, there wasn't much profanity of that nature in a major studio movie. I'd kind of doubt that the word was in the original studio release in the first place.

Maybe, but he clearly says the letter 'F' & then it sounds like the rest of the word was dropped. He must have said something as the sentence would not have made sense otherwise; "what the are you doing to my barn?". Plus in 'Dirty Harry' from 1971 you see full frontal nudity. Wouldn't that be much worse?
Alcatraz
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 12:44:16 PM »

or is there something better out there? 

The opening scene to Saving Private Ryan?

"Reality continues to ruin my life" - Calvin
sgorran

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 04:38:29 PM »

Private Ryan.....now that occurred to me too.  That pretty much jumps right into D-Day on the beach, right?  That is wonderful cinematography and action, yet to me it is very disturbing and sad, although from an Allied point of view it is a necessary and great victory in itself...establishing the beachhead.  In HPD the beginning just gets me pumped for more, but those are the best scenes in the movie.
paul78zephyr

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 07:52:37 PM »

tearing down that guy's barn (whose name escapes me)

Lewis Belding

I just wondered if Eastwood at the time was a victim of censorship or I have it wrong.

I dont think CE felt the film needed profanity. The only use of 'profanity' is at the beginning of the film - the three outlaws all say 'pig sh*t'...

Paul
herofan

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 06:08:30 AM »

I think it is sad today how the F word clutters most every movie.  I never watch an older movie and think it would be better with profanity. 
Dr.J.Jones

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 10:33:30 AM »

I think it is sad today how the F word clutters most every movie.  I never watch an older movie and think it would be better with profanity. 

That is how people talk though. I doubt the opening scene from 'High Plains Drfiter' would have been as powerful without the 'pigsh*t' word. I agree profanity may be overused, but it is an indelible fact on society that we all use those words, & in order to give movies a hint of realism, it crops up in films too.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T