News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beguiled film discussion  (Read 1890 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 11, 2003, 07:03:46 PM »

I had to close the film discussion on The Beguiled to make way for our next discussion on A Fistful of Dollars, but I wanted to point out that KC posted some great pictures in the thread about whether or not McBurney ever really loved Edwina.  AKA, you were asking about those shots, so I thought I'd point out that there was an addition to that thread just before time ran out there.  Check it out HERE.

The discussion can be continued here if anyone is interested in replying to that topic.

Also, last I heard from Pamelyn she said she's been too busy to reply to our questions and she would try to get us her answers by the middle of the month, which is any day now.  If I hear from her, I will update that topic with her replies and we can continue the discussion in this forum.  I had been so enthused by her quick response to me the first time that I had thought we'd get quick answers too, but unfortunately... didn't work out that way.  If we never hear back from her, well... I'll just have to go pick some mushrooms.   ;)
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2003, 07:21:19 PM »

I didn't really think too much about these emotions while watching the film the many times I have in the last 25 years.

Its amazing how those stills and text make you think. I do now think there is relief and hope.

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2003, 07:54:31 PM »

KC, would you mind copying your post here so we can continue to discuss it with the pictures in this thread?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2003, 09:05:01 PM »

Sure thing, Matt, but first let me quote mgk's post in that thread, because I really only illustrated it!
KC can do a better job than I can posting pictures to emphasize these points and maybe she will when she has some time.  

But, take a look at all of that anger on McBurney's face in the scenes right before Edwina comes to his room.  This is a man beaten down by the thought that he has lost a leg and probably feels like he is not a whole man anymore...and, no woman could ever love a man with one leg so he feels that his life is doomed.  Then, look at his expression when Edwina slides that sofa over to block the door and starts walking toward him.  In my opinion, that is a look of hope.

Then, after Edwina tells him that she loves him, look at that expression when they embrace each other.  In my opinion (again), that is the look of love and relief that this woman could love him no matter what and he welcomes it.

Now...would the love have lasted?  Hard to tell.  Would he have changed his mind as soon as he was free?  Possibly.  But, what better life for him than to have a woman who loves him regardless of any of his impairments and a woman who will happily build a life with him?

Siegel nor Eastwood have ever been known for "clearing things up for us" and they certainly don't here.  So, I guess we are all left with our own interpretations....be they right or be they wrong. ;)

Here is my response:

I've been wanted in the love angle for a couple of weeks now! Sorry I'm so tardy in responding. But, mgk really said it all with her post. I can't do much more than illustrate it with a few frame captures:
... But, take a look at all of that anger on McBurney's face in the scenes right before Edwina comes to his room.  This is a man beaten down by the thought that he has lost a leg and probably feels like he is not a whole man anymore...and, no woman could ever love a man with one leg so he feels that his life is doomed.  
Even after Edwina enters his room ... he receives her with an angry "What do you want?" His expression is still full of anger and suspicion after she's pushed the sofa in front of the door, as she begins to walk over to him:

This is where she utters her only line in this scene: "I love you ... I love you."
Then, look at his expression when Edwina slides that sofa over to block the door and starts walking toward him.  In my opinion, that is a look of hope.

Then, after Edwina tells him that she loves him, look at that expression when they embrace each other.  In my opinion (again), that is the look of love and relief that this woman could love him no matter what and he welcomes it.

Now...would the love have lasted?  Hard to tell.  Would he have changed his mind as soon as he was free?  Possibly.  But, what better life for him than to have a woman who loves him regardless of any of his impairments and a woman who will happily build a life with him?

To me, that "look of love and relief" is tremendously revealing. Like mgk, I feel there's a pretty good chance that it might not have lasted, but in that moment, I feel it is completely sincere. This is a man who may have gone through his whole life without knowing how it feels to be loved by someone (and not just desired), and here is a woman who loves him IN SPITE OF knowing the worst about him. How can he resist?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T