News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account setup.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Dead Pool  (Read 4038 times)
Christopher Openbrier

View Profile Email
« on: July 31, 2009, 05:27:23 PM »

Hey everyone, I have been curious lately. I have been reading some of the threads that you guys have posted. I noticed that alot of people picked The Dead Pool as their least favorite Dirty Harry film. To be honest, I thought that The Dead Pool was an okay movie. What are some of the things that you like or dislike about this film?

Thanks guys

:)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 05:29:08 PM by Christopher Openbrier » Logged
Aline

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 06:57:52 AM »

I am one of those that liked that movie, it even comes before Sudden Impact in my list. I said the reasons somewhere but mostly is because I think Harry is more mature in looks and attitude, the sutle romance between him and Samantha is charming and the scene at the ending when he shot the bad guy with that huge gun are my favorite things about it.
Not to mention his cool asian partner, Al Quan :)
herofan

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 09:42:41 AM »

It was my least favorite, but I don't know if I have any huge reason as to why; I've seen it several times.  I thought the plot was ok and it had it's moments.  I liked the opening display of Harry's talents when he reads the fortune cookie in the restaurant, and I liked the scene where he beat the guys up who were following him and they turned out to be his bodyguards. ;D   for some reason, it just didn't appeal to me overall like the older ones did.  I did think the chase with the remote control car was ridiculous.  I know it's a movie, and that might have been neat in another movie, but it just didn't seem Dirty Harryish.  It's odd though, when I was a kid, the original "Dirty Harry" was my least favorite, but now it's my favorite.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 03:55:48 PM »

I would place The Dead Pool as being my least favorite Harry movie, but I do enjoy it still. I've actually always liked the remote control car chase scene. ;D
D'Ambrosia
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 10:17:22 PM »

As with all of Clint’s movies it gets better with age.  I have to say, however, it still brings up the rear as far as ranking them as favorites in the series. 

It does have it’s moments, which I enjoy, but overall it can’t hold a candle to the other four.  It really is a shame that Harry had to go out on this note.  That being said, some of my favorite parts are him having dinner with Sam and the  “How you all doing?” scene and major ass kicking ensues.  “Do you have kids lieutenant ?  Lucky for them.” walks out.  “You forgot your fortune cookie.  It says your $#!t out of luck” Bang. Bang. Bang. and “Where’s Rook?  He’s hanging around out back…” corny but still classic Clint.   The Jim Carrey trivia is cool but the remote control car chase scene, although at the time it came out I loved it, was a bit silly and not realistic.  I still like it and would watch it over half the other crap that is out there… 8)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 10:44:40 AM »

It is cool to see Jim Carrey before he hit it really big. In fact, I'd like to see Carrey work with Eastwood again... even if it's something Eastwood is only directing.
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 11:20:33 AM »

It is cool to see Jim Carrey before he hit it really big. In fact, I'd like to see Carrey work with Eastwood again... even if it's something Eastwood is only directing.

:) I'm sure you've already seen that on youtube, Jim Carrey talking about the Dead Pool and his first meeting with Clint  ... how funny it is ! I love to watch it several tme a month ... The way Clint Eastwood laughs is simply ... great !  :)

"Jim Carrey adores Clint Eastwood" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYoAVZqGpcM

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 11:38:17 AM »

Sylvie, no, I hadn't seen that before! But it is really funny! I'd like to see the whole tribute--is it available anywhere online?
Aline

Email
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 12:07:54 PM »

The way Clint Eastwood laughs is simply ... great !  :)

Agreed. ;)
I don't know why I have never liked much Jim Carrey but I have to admit that speech and his impersonation of Clint squint and voice are hilarious ;D
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 01:11:22 AM »

That clip is funny especially when he plays the scene. There's one guy up front who lliterally jumps from his seat  ;D
Carrey truly is the King of physical comedy.

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
joe kid

my mistake...4 coffins!!!

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 06:42:11 AM »

yes i think it was the weakest in the dirty harry series,mainly because
it was a bit slow in taking off,if it ever did.
the soundtrack was the weakest in the series.
clints partner in the film,was his weakest in the series.
the only part in the film that i liked a lot was the remote control,miniture exploding car.
the dead pool was pushing the series ,just a bit to far >:( ::) :'( O0
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 06:45:46 AM by joe kid » Logged

you said when a man with a 45,meets a man with a rifle,the man with the pistol,will be a dead man,lets see if thats true.go ahead load up and shoot!!!
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 03:28:54 AM »

I liked the dead pool okay.  But to me it is the weakest out of all the Dirty Harry movies. 
rojblake

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 04:00:46 AM »

Dead pool wan't particularly liked because it was, in some ways, almost a spoof of other crime dramas...the radio controlled car chase was considered by many to be the worst gag ever put in an Eastwood film.

I actually like the Dead Pool, although in ranking I'd place it just above Sudden Impact (which is my least favorite Harry film; still enjoyable, but last in MY ranking)
rr-electricangel

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 02:24:30 AM »

While the Dead Pool qualifies as my least favorite I don't hate the film. The problem with this film IMO is that the Killer and Harry only meet at the very end. That doesn't create a lot of dramatic tension in my opinion. In the first Dirty Harry movie Harry really gets to know Scorpio and his twisted ways. Hell, Scorpio taunts and beats Harry up. That has never happened since then. If you look at the Dirty Harry series you will notice that less and less people confront him directly from one flick to the next. Even his partners become more bending to what he says or thinks. Sure, the Mafia they may shoot at him in an elevator but there was a certain "Who the Hell was that?" that didn't allow him to truly get angry or upset. The best lines in any Dirty Harry movie are those where someone gets up in his grill. Just being annoyed or grumpy doesn't get the juices flowing if you know what I mean. Still there are lines in that movie which are excellent.

For example: The Prison Scene with Lou Genero

Harry Callahan: [points out the biggest, nastiest-looking guy in the prison to Janero]
See that gorilla down there? That's Butcher Hicks... and he's killed three men. You know how he did it? He tore 'em apart with his teeth! Didn't even find all the pieces... you might say he has an unhealthy appetite.

Lou Janero: [nervous, but trying not to show it] So what?

Harry Callahan: So Hicks there is my new pen pal. I'm going to be sending him a letter once a week, and I'm going to be telling him how I'm gonna be looking in on his sick mother, and how I'm trying to get him special privileges here at the prison. And you know what's the interesting part? The interesting part is if anything happens to me, and Hicks doesn't get his letter, he's going to be really pissed off, and he's going to come down here and see you because you're the mail man. In fact he'll probably come down here to this post office and cancel your ass like a stamp. So you'd better ensure prompt, courteous delivery, and pray that nothing happens to me.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 02:35:45 AM by rr-electricangel » Logged

Clint Eastwood's words of wisdom: "Take your profession seriously; don't take yourself seriously. Don't take yourself seriously in the process, because you really only matter to a certain degree in the whole circus out here."
exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 07:04:38 PM »

I have to agree that while The Dead Pool is certainly entertaining, it is not in the league with the other four Harry films. I like the story and Patricia Clarkson, but having a weak bad guy and having Harry only meeting him in the end reduced the drama and tension.  This was more a comic book Dirty Harry.  On the plus side, Clint had a zillion funny lines which of course only he can do justice with.

However, I actually was watching some of this movie tonight and noticed something that I never focused on before.  When Harry and the older cop are investigating the suspect's apartment, Harry holds up a master list of the Dead Pool and under the two bottom players names, four of the "targets" of the dead pool are Joel Cox, Jack Green, Tom Rooker, and Phyllis Huffman.  Thought that was pretty neat.  (not sure if you can see their names on a dead pool list in other scenes or not??)
KC
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 07:13:57 PM »

Yes, that's the kind of inside joke you can often find in Clint's movies. Good find!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T