News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Opening Scene: Magnum Force  (Read 34789 times)
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2005, 09:45:42 AM »

You could also compare the hand in the opening credits of Magnum Force to Harry's hand in the last scene of Dirty Harry, when he's holding his badge ...
The thumb definitely looks the same  :)

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
paulk

Oh well, $#!t happens

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2005, 10:41:14 PM »

I think Clint himself should come on line and help us out with this one.
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2005, 11:34:30 PM »

diff holding a picture to holding a gun

and i think clint would have no problem holding a magnum for that long

england -  its flag the St George flag
sweeteyes67au

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2005, 04:01:16 PM »

YES!....thas his hand!!....im sure of it.... O0 is it...i kno that hand from anywhere!..lol! O0 and look at that weapon! O0

"heres a seven point suppository captain"

"what did you say"??

"I said stick it in yr a**"!!
The Highlander

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2005, 09:30:53 PM »

Yup, I'm very sure it is Clint's hand.  I've always had a natural assumption that this is his hand.

One thing that kind of aces it for me is that I don't think they would have used anyone else but Clint to point the magnum toward the audience (as the opening credits concluded) and fire the weapon. 

Clint's expert way of mimicking a true recoil is pretty evident to me.  So, for me, I'm quite convinced that it is the man himself.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2005, 09:33:14 PM »

It could be his hands but with a shot like that they could have easily have had the second unit crew go out into the Warner Brothers parking lot and get some intern or P.A. to hold the badge and I.D. for a couple of shots. It'd take them about 30 minutes to do it all and this way the main unit wouldn't have to worry about it.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2009, 02:33:52 AM »

I thought I'd revive this great debate after viewing Two Mules For Sister Sara today & seeing a close up of Clint's hand in that & reminded me of this topic.

KC posted a comparision from Magnum Force & Tightrope a couple of pages back. I thought this might be a little better since there's only a three year difference in films.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 03:23:32 AM by The Schofield Kid » Logged

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Jaffe

Usual?

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2009, 09:01:26 AM »

I thought I'd revive this great debate after viewing Two Mules For Sister Sara today & seeing a close up of Clint's hand in that & reminded me of this topic.

KC posted a comparision from Magnum Force & Tightrope a couple of pages back. I thought this might be a little better since there's only a three year difference in films.

Good capture Kid! The hands do look the same, so it looks like it was Clint's hand in Magnum Force:)

"Usual." "Usual lunch, or usual dinner?" "What difference does it make?" "Not much."
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2009, 01:20:29 AM »

Hello Jaffe,  Long time no see.    I quite agree it is Clint's hand and I have not changed my mind since I posted (with KC's help) a picture of Clint's hand from Tightrope a couple of years ago.
Alcatraz
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2009, 12:40:35 PM »

Certainly looks the same. Not something I think about I guess.

"Reality continues to ruin my life" - Calvin
callahans44

Go Ahead, Make My Day.

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2009, 03:47:34 PM »

You know what.  I always assumed it was Clint's hand and we know that when one "assume's," they make an ass out of u and me.  But it turned out to be Clint's hand.  I mean why wouldn't it?

I can't believe this thread went for four pages.  Maybe it's not a total loss, since I got a potential avatar out of it since I'm callahans44  8).

But is that Clint's real .44 or is it a stand in?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 03:49:17 PM by callahans44 » Logged

Put Dirty Harry in the IMDB top 250! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066999/ratings
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2009, 02:49:01 PM »

But is that Clint's real .44 or is it a stand in?

In the case of the Dirty Harry movies, they were real guns manufactured by Smith and Wesson.  I would figure the gun weighs about 3 pounds, give or take a couple of ounces.  Quite easy for a man of Clint's stature to hold steady for the length of the opening credits.   

D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2009, 09:38:33 PM »

"He had", she firmly noted, “long hands” which to her, in her grandmotherly wisdom, bespoke a natural gift for the arts.  It is an interesting observation, because Clint use of his hands---graceful, precise and sometimes rather startling in the context of some of his roles---is one of the hallmarks of his acting manner. “and she never let anybody forget it.”

That being said and looking at the evidence, yeah, that is Clint’s right hand and that is a Model 29 .44 magnum.  IMO.  :)

Page 28  Clint Eastwood a biography by  Richard Schickel – 1996  -- Clint's grandma on his hands.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 08:34:53 PM by D'Ambrosia » Logged
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2009, 05:45:27 PM »

A screencap of the opening scene of Magnum Force and a screencap from the robbery scene in Magnum Force.

I think we can finally sleep at night. It's Clint's hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D

Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2009, 07:59:07 PM »

How about a little while later with a young Suzanne Summers in the swimming pool.  ;)

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2009, 08:36:01 PM »

A screencap of the opening scene of Magnum Force and a screencap from the robbery scene in Magnum Force.

I think we can finally sleep at night. It's Clint's hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D

That is a great find Kid!  Bravo!
exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »

I agree that both hands look like Clint's.  All I can say is that I remember seeing that opening scene with Clint talking and seeing just the Magnum rotating towards the audience in a packed theatre on opening night and you could just feel the crowd really get into the movie from the getgo.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T