News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clint : A Retrospective. New Book April 2010  (Read 19169 times)
palooka
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: September 30, 2009, 03:28:14 AM »

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 03:35:15 AM »

Just pre-ordered

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
iconfan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 06:13:53 AM »

Quite interesting
But a few questions spring to mind, which, seeing as how this is several months out still, will have to wait.
Still.......

I am naturally assuming that this is a kind of update/follow up to Mr Schickel's excellant 1996 bio of the man
(which stopped around '92's Unforgiven/'95's Bridges of Madison County)

Obviously, if it is.... the book should cover (to some extent) Eastwood's film library from 95 on, when he arguably hit his peak.
Maybe we'll get more insight into Eastwood's decision to ease away from acting and focus on directing.......
With luck, since there is probably still time before the book goes to print, we can get some details about the filming of the upcoming
 "Hereafter" which is due to start filming shortly

The most interesting thing I noticed is this----

UK and the US descriptions mention this :   Har/DVD
I wonder if there will be a DVD that comes with the book? (After all, the page count is 288 which is HALF the size of the 96 Bio.

Thanks for the heads up- I'll be sure to keep an eye out for this beauty
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 07:55:31 AM »

The cover of this book is similar to the one I have by Christina Authier.

Richard's book cover.

Christian Autheir's book.

Looks like the pictures could have been taken at the same photo shoot.

I will pre-order Richard's book this week.  It looks good.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 07:56:37 AM by Lin. » Logged
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 02:55:15 AM »

Clint: A Retrospective will be published in the UK in April 2010 as a £25 hardback to tie up with the "Dirty Harry" star's 80th birthday. The title will include interviews with Eastwood, plus 200 photographs including stills from all his films. It will also be packaged with a 20-minute DVD.

A limited edition of 200 copies worldwide to be signed by both Eastwood and author Richard Schickel is also lined up with a $250 (£157) pricetag; no UK price is yet confirmed.

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/99647-page.html

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 08:56:03 AM »

I hope Schickel takes the trouble to actually watch the movies before he writes the book this time.

Here's the U.S. Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Clint-Retrospective-Richard-Schickel/dp/1402774729/
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 08:59:27 AM »

Here's a link to the description on the publisher's website:

http://www.sterlingpublishing.com/catalog?isbn=9781402774720
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 02:59:55 AM »

I hope Schickel takes the trouble to actually watch the movies before he writes the book this time.
;D Yes, indeed. That'd be nice.

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
El Cigarillo

"Who says I was jokin?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 01:01:47 PM »

Richard Schickel.
A man who can take any film topic and make it boring.

Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 09:49:47 AM »

Very nice cover !

.... sold too late to be on my Christmas list !  ;)

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 12:02:12 AM »

I like the cover too but wonder about what will be inside.  I think I will wait until there are a few reviews about it before I think about buying it.  :-\
davytriumph
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 04:16:32 PM »

Just had this book delivered to me.

I have flicked through it briefly.  WOW!!!!!!  I am really impressed with the format and content. O0

This book is absolutely crammed with a load of quality, many of which I have never seen before photographs. :o

Beautiful book, definitely worth buying for the pictures alone.

Comes also with a 20min DVD.  I really want to watch it, but it would mean opening up the neat little package at the back of the book.

I`ll wait to see if any other member says its worth watching me thinks.

Davy

"Theres three dollars, including the tip"
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 05:24:36 PM »

Comes also with a 20min DVD.  I really want to watch it, but it would mean opening up the neat little package at the back of the book.

I`ll wait to see if any other member says its worth watching me thinks.

Davy

Wonder if it's the same as the DVD with the 35 years at Warner Bros. Box Set?

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 05:55:09 AM »

davytriumph I have just ordered it on your recommendation ;)   Only kidding.  I am quite sure I will like it after reading your comments and the ones on Amazon.  Should have it by the weekend.  :)
davytriumph
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 09:19:08 AM »

Lin,

You will certainly NOT be disappointed.

I`m going to have a good look through it tonight.

"Theres three dollars, including the tip"
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 11:09:01 AM »

Lin,

You will certainly NOT be disappointed.

I`m going to have a good look through it tonight.

Thanks I can't wait for it to arrive now.   :)
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 11:54:42 AM »

I received it yesterday,haven't checked it though because of a family problem.If everyting goes well,as expected,the first thing I'll do tomorrow is to read the book {and watch the documentary}.Can't wait :'(

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
iconfan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 08:53:01 AM »

SLIGHT SPOILERS
SKIP IF YOU PREFER

sigh.....
Well, you know, I WANTED to like it. I really did.
And each reader has their preferences as to what they would prefer to see in a coffee table book of this size
I mean, the pictures are certainly great. A good number of them never had been published that I know of.
But I think the book could stand to be even larger.After all, at the end of the day it IS a coffeetable book.
But this could have been so much more than just a coffee table book (in my opinion)

I think there was very little text, considering this is supposed to be a "retrospective". And what text there was was alot of info I already knew about the man.There could have been a bit more about the making of each film. Well, maybe not EACH film, but at least have a good 5 or 6 pages of text that focuses on his key touchstone films. Dirty Harry and Unforgiven and Mystic River for example. The way it's laid out now each film barely makes room for two pages of text per film.
There is more ABOUT the films I would have liked to see
Explore his unique style of bringing in every film under budget and under time
Maybe reveal the fact he often uses the same character actors in many of his films. (a few interviews with each of them would have been nice so that they could have a bit of spotlight)
Maybe a peek into the offices of Malpaso and see the faces behind the production offices.
He does more than just make films as well.
A few pictures of him golfing would be nice.
But then, that has nothing to do with his filming. Argument accepted there.
So lets explore his musical talent. (the enclosed documentary touches on this a bit but some text in the book itself would have certainly been warrented since his music is a large part of his film career)
But...it's in print now and theres little use complaining now.
It's a really, really NICE book. Don't get me wrong. The documentary is even better (and that could have been a full hour as well not just 22 minutes)
Oh well, book aside, we still have his amazing films to see over and over as we wish. I should think thats all Eastwood would desire anyway. Thats why he made them after all.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 10:14:25 AM by iconfan » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 07:53:47 PM »

Tell me, does he give synopses of the films, and if so, are they any more accurate than the misbegotten ones in the biography he wrote, Clint Eastwood? ???

By the way, it sounds like the book you really want (me, too) is an updated edition of Fuensanta Plaza's Clint Eastwood: Malpaso.
iconfan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 10:00:33 PM »

Well, KC, take his two most recently acclaimed films (even though they didn't fare well at the boxoffice) Flags of Our fathers and Letters From Iwo Jima

There are a total of ten pages devoted-- many, many lush (and large) pictures and yet just 4 pages of text and much of that shared the page space with the pictures

Now these two films were an acclompishment in several ways
1  He received fresh accolades from critics who praised his unique take on the war
2  This in and of itself is an amazing accomplishment considering the man just came off Mystic River (2003) as well as Million Dollar Baby!(2004)
3 It doesnt really go into the fact that he virtually created LETTERS based on the research he had done on the Japanese Commander who had gone into the war knowing full well he (and his men) would not be returning home
Eastwood commisioned a script from a first time screenwriter and (what seems to be standard practice for him) shot the first draft!

Yes to answer your question-- many of the films do receive a bit of space about the synopsis but more space is dedicated to what made Eastwood decide to do each film more than actual filming or even his musical process (with the handful of films he did the music for)

Of course, I failed to mention that , as with many books, there are paper costs as well as assorted permissions and politics behind the scenes we may not be aware of and all that went into the making of the final book we hold in our hands.  But while it is a handsome book, I sure wish it could have been given just a bit more time and more pages for it to be a truly fitting tribute to a man who has not only accomplished so much, but to a man who has given his fans 40 years of great entertainment
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T