News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly: Business & Publicity 2: The Poster  (Read 19540 times)
Southern cat
Member Extraordinaire

The Man

View Profile Email
« on: January 08, 2010, 08:50:13 PM »

Here are several posters used to advertise The Good, the Bad and the Ugly in Italy, the United States and other countries:

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (PEA). Italian Premiere Displays (3) (39" X 110")

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (United Artists). French Grande Poster (47" x 63") Artwork by Jean Mascii.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (United Artists). German poster (A1 23" X 33")

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (United Artists). International One Sheet (27" X 41").

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (United Artists). Danish Poster (24.5" X 33").

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (United Artists). Australian Daybill (13" X 30").

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (PEA, R-1969) Italian 4-Folio 55"x78"

What is your opinion of these posters? Would they make you want to see the film? Which do you like best? How much do you think these posters would sell for at auction? If you have seen other posters for this film, if possible post images here and tell us how they compare and which you prefer.
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 08:29:56 PM »

Wow.  So those Italian premiere displays are like life sized stand ups?  Thatís pretty cool.  Not sure if Iím crazy about the red on white but I know Leone used that in his title sequence.  To me they would be cooler if they were cut outs of just them in color and instead of having the names at the bottom I would have: The Good  The Bad The Ugly.

The French Grande Poster is alright.  A little busy but that was the style.

Itís interesting how the German poster has Tuco and Blondie on Clintís hatÖ

Got to go with the International one sheet as my fav.  Itís the one Iíve been familiar with all my life.

Not a big fan of the Danish poster.  It looks, I donít know, fakey.  And why is Blondie shooting the cannon into the ground?

The Australian daybill is obviously similar to the International one piece.  I like the ďnot suitable for children statement at the lower right hand corner of the bill.

The Italian 4-folio is my second favorite.  I like the colors and itís pretty simple with the sacks of gold spilling out.  If I were to see it in a movie lobby I would be able to pretty much guess what the story is going to be about.

I have no idea on what these items, at auction, would fetch.  Iím sure someone will chime in on their value.  If I were to guess I would think that the International one sheet in pristine condition would bring in $700?  Mind you thatís just a guess. The others maybe ranging from anywhere from $100 to $300.  Another guess.  I donít collect movie posters but if I did I would like to have the International.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 08:37:46 PM »

Itís interesting how the German poster has Tuco and Blondie on Clintís hatÖ

I think that's because the title means "Two Glorious Rogues." Since it's two, not three, they could only show two of the three stars "big as life," but they had to get Tuco in somewhere, so they put him in the hat.

Not a big fan of the Danish poster.  It looks, I donít know, fakey.  And why is Blondie shooting the cannon into the ground?

More to the point, who or what is he shooting AT? "The Bad" and "The Ugly" are standing behind him! :o

(Look at the International and the Australian daybill to see how it's supposed to go. ;) )
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 08:43:46 PM »

More to the point, who or what is he shooting AT? "The Bad" and "The Ugly" are standing behind him! :o

Hit the deck KC!  Blonide's shooting at you!  :o
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 08:59:38 PM »

I'd say the French and Italian posters are my favorites. I do like those tall displays too!
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 04:29:38 AM »

Here are several posters used to advertise The Good, the Bad and the Ugly in Italy, the United States and other countries:

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (PEA). Italian Premiere Displays (3) (39" X 110")

These are my favourites and I also like this one

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (United Artists). German poster (A1 23" X 33")

I think the picture in Blondies' hat is inspirational.   However the poster to attract me to the movie the most (if I had not seen it) is the International one sheet.

Aline

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 07:34:55 AM »

The elegant posture and tallness of Clint and Van Cleef are a big contrast to Eli Wallach look.
Tuco's pants looks too fancy and exaggerated in that poster, I don't even remember if he really wears those pants in the movie :D
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 05:30:16 PM »

I agree, Aline, Tuco's poster really doesn't match up with the other two. ???
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 10:17:04 PM »

I don't even remember if he really wears those pants in the movie :D

Are those the pants he was wearing when Blondie shoots the rope a second time and Tuco runs down the main street on foot?

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Southern cat
Member Extraordinaire

The Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 09:19:32 PM »

The Italian Premiere Displays (3) (39" X 110") sold for US$33,460 on Heritage Auctions Nov 13, 2009.

Making them possibly the most expensive Eastwood posters sold in the world. That's going through all the big auction houses, like Christie's and such.

This link shows you the posters sold but you have to be registered with them to see the prices realised.

http://movieposters.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7014&Lot_No=89556
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 09:33:59 PM by Southern cat » Logged
Southern cat
Member Extraordinaire

The Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 07:12:50 PM »

These are limited edition posters produced by the Alamo Drafthouse Cinemas in the U.S. Only 270 sets of these 3 posters were made.

I was lucky enough to acquire 174/270 signed by the artist Billy Perkins. They each measure 12x36 inches. Brilliant artwork I must say.

Link to the screenings.
http://www.originalalamo.com/show.aspx?id=5288

Link to the posters.
http://postercabaret.com/thegoodthebadandtheuglyperkins.aspx
davytriumph
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 12:54:24 PM »

These VERY VERY Rare and wonderful posters just sold (November 2009) at auction for  $33,460.00

Heritage Auction Galleries estimated them at $16000.  I guess someone knew just how rare they are.

I wonder if it was Mr Frangioni???

"Theres three dollars, including the tip"
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 08:51:51 PM »

Here is the Japanese theatrical poster I scanned in from the Special Edition DVD courtesy of Posteritati movie posters.  www.posteritati.com

I think itís a pretty cool one.  Youíve got about six different scenes going on.  Nice of them to include Blondie ruthlessly gunning down poor Slim in the lower left hand corner of the posterÖ
Southern cat
Member Extraordinaire

The Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 11:45:22 PM »

Thought we should include Davy's British quad.

The Australian one sheet.

GreenEyes
Member Extraordinaire

"Po-lice trainin' ?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 07:39:05 AM »

I was always curious as to why Blondie's poncho/serape was depicted as red.  Creative license or something perhaps? Anyone have an idea?

"Such ingratitude after all the times I saved your life."
herofan

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 08:30:13 AM »

I was always curious as to why Blondie's poncho/serape was depicted as red.  Creative license or something perhaps? Anyone have an idea?

I noticed the red poncho too, but don't know why.   I also notice that Clint was always shown wearing the poncho and looking as he did in the first two movies.  In reality, he only had that look near the end of the movie.
GreenEyes
Member Extraordinaire

"Po-lice trainin' ?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 10:11:30 AM »

I also notice that Clint was always shown wearing the poncho and looking as he did in the first two movies. 

Yeah, I think they probably have him wearing the poncho because it was his "trademark" from the other films.  It definitely makes him easy to recognize!  :)

In reality, he only had that look near the end of the movie.

I'm not going to even get into the whole "which movie was really first" debate!  :D

"Such ingratitude after all the times I saved your life."
mike siegel

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 06:02:06 AM »

GBU artwork worldwide is highly collectable and by now prices soured. An UK quad is about $1000.-, so is the French (1st release!) and the Italian first release posters are way beyond that. I like most of them a lot. Not so much the German (a bit boring, although I think we have the best lobby card set, with 25 cards..), the US is nice but is 'too white' for my taste. If I could chose one I do not have yet it would be the Italian (painted artwork with the three heads) - to me the best, unfortunately most sought after (I estimate at least $3000 - 6000.-)
Here are some of my GBU posters not included yet here. An Italian first release 100x140 (I suppose 3 or 4 different artworks exist for the first release),
the Italian 70s re-release (nice Casaro artwork, although he mixed up the films again, this one you could find for $100-200.-), the Italian locandina from that release, the two Spanish first release posters (love the Tuco artwork),
The belgian (they used the French Mascii artwork. In Fraylings book it was described as French, it is not of course, it is from Belgium), the small French poster (same artwork as one of the Italian), Argentinian poster (as quite often they used the US artwork) and a Danish re-release:

« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 06:06:26 AM by mike siegel » Logged
TWOMULES

Email
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 01:41:05 PM »

Excellent GBU artwork, Mike. Well done! O0

I can't believe you posted this in February and not one member has posted  any comments on this. :(

mike siegel

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 02:08:38 AM »

I'm glad you like them.
I was going to upload my whole Eastwood collection, 75% German stuff,  in another thread. But there was no reaction either so I stopped.  I rather invest my time uploading in other forums. That's fine, not everybody is interested in 'foreign' lobby card sets etc.  ..
Too special maybe.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T