News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Good, the Bad & the Ugly: Business & Publicity 1: The Trailer  (Read 3629 times)
Southern cat
Member Extraordinaire

The Man

View Profile Email
« on: January 08, 2010, 08:51:56 PM »

Have you seen the U.S. trailer for The Good, the Bad and the Ugly? Did the arrangement of the scenes in the trailer make you think the story would be different from what you saw in the movie, or did they seem to lead you to the events as presented in the film?

The French trailer (including some footage from "lost" scenes) is on the Special Collector's Edition DVD of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. If you have seen that or other international trailers, here is the place to comment on them.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 05:59:54 PM »

Watching the French Trailer on the DVD, it's put together well showing plenty of battle scenes and showing just who is "The Good, The Bad & The Ugly" several times. Even in french it would make me want to see the film, if I didn't know who three actors were.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 04:30:31 AM »

I can just remember seeing a trailer for the movie at the cinema and I thought it would be a great movie to see.  I was quite 'into' Westerns in those days.  :)

I don't remember being really aware of who was in it.  I didn't make a connection between the star of Rawhide and Blondie.  :o
Southern cat
Member Extraordinaire

The Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 04:24:30 PM »

Why did the U.S. trailer introduce Eli Wallach as "The Bad" and Lee Van Cleef as "The Ugly"?  ???
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 07:12:45 PM »

I'm guessing the English-language voiceover was a literal translation of the Italian. It's a succession of two-word phrases: "The good. The bad. The ugly. The blue. The gray. The Civil War. The Good. The bad. The ugly. The questions. The answers. The showdown. The reason? The gold."

It would be hard to reverse "The bad" and "The ugly" without losing the point of emphasizing the title of the movie. And in Italian, the title was "Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo" ... "The good, the ugly, the bad."
Southern cat
Member Extraordinaire

The Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 11:50:08 PM »

I'm guessing they just stuffed it up. How hard would it of been to research who plays who out of the three main characters.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 12:54:20 AM »

Do you really think the voiceover should have said "The good. The ugly. The bad"? Either they would have had to kept the title in the Italian sequence, The Good, the Ugly and the Bad, or they would have had to re-edit the trailer to change the sequence for the English-titled version.
Southern cat
Member Extraordinaire

The Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 01:07:27 AM »

That's what I'm saying, how hard would of been to re-edit the trailer, at least they would of got the characters names(bad and ugly) matched with the faces.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 11:02:15 AM »

Interesting, I wonder if they considered doing that?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T