News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Good, the Bad & the Ugly: Style and Technique 5: The Pace  (Read 2951 times)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« on: January 08, 2010, 09:02:19 PM »

How well-paced do you find The Good, the Bad and the Ugly? At nearly three hours long, does it hold your interest throughout? Does it seem to rush or lag at times? Are there any particular scenes that you think stand out as especially crisply paced or dragging?

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 04:50:28 PM »

When I first saw this film years ago as a teenager, I thought it was way too long, but now and especially since I've been here on the board, I've come to appreciate films a lot more and look for things other than pure entertainment.

I think the film is perfectly paced. Leone had his certain style where he liked to give the audience more than may be needed but it works. He sets up his scenes and plays them out to perfection.

The final confrontation between the three men is a perfect example. He could have easily of shown that in 30 seconds, instead you have the music and the editing all building up for minutes to see who will survive. It's brilliant.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 04:10:11 AM »

I have to agree with SK.  The movie is well paced and the final shoot out is perfect.   It produces a tension and is I imagine how it would be if there are three of you after the same thing.  No matter how good a shot it could end up with them all being killed.  The build up to the whole scene is amazing right from Tuco running round the cemetery trying to find the Arch Stanton grave, it holds your interest and doesn't let go.  The music is all part of the build up and the camera work on the hands and faces of Blondie, Tuco and Snake Eyes is how a great director does it.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 11:30:33 AM »

Snake Eyes

A Freudian slip, but it makes sense, since the "Angel Eyes" nickname was tongue-in-cheek anyway for his cold, steady gaze.

Yes, the pacing was perfect and the editing could have been nominated for an Academy Award (as we mentioned in another of these film discussion threads).

It's a lengthy film, but a three hour movie never passed so quickly.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T