News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Good, the Bad & the Ugly: The Story 8: The Ending  (Read 12465 times)
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: January 08, 2010, 09:10:36 PM »

What is your opinion about the ending of the film? Why do you think Blondie put Tuco in the noose and rode off leaving half the gold? And why does Blondie shoot the rope, releasing Tuco? Would you feel differently about Blondie if he had left Tuco to die?
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 05:04:12 PM »

The ending does puzzle me. You have Tuco and Blondie splitting the gold, so you assume they're about to ride off into the sunset for nice happy ending, but then you have this brilliant shot.

Tuco can't work out what's going on and I'm not sure either. Why does Blondie do it? Just to torture Tuco's soul one more time? I don't know. Another Leone twist before the end maybe.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 02:32:32 AM »

I had completely forgotten about starting this thread long ago and it was fun to run across.

My conclusion then was that Blondie was just having a bit of fun with Tuco, for old time's sake, and that's pretty much still my conclusion.

The most interesting thing I wrote in that original thread was:
Tuco goes through a lot in the movie, but he's a scoundrel and a "rat."  Blondie's smart enough that he'd never be lacking in money in the wild west, but Tuco ... well, Tuco is mostly small time, and for him to walk away with $100,000 ...he's going to have to earn it.  One more time.  He clearly wants the money more than Blondie, which puts Blondie at an advantage.  And he takes advantage of that.

And:

I will note that when they share their half of the secret, Tuco squirms quite a bit, but is honest (which I'm thinking is a novel idea for Tuco)....whereas Blondie isn't completely honest in revealing his part of the secret.  But then this is his insurance that neither Tuco nor Angel Eyes will profit if he's double-crossed, while he does not intend to double-cross Tuco, as the ending shows.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Alcatraz
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 08:00:36 PM »

Seems to me like Tuco owed Blondie a hanging. They both made each other march through the desert, but Tuco also tried to hang Blondie. He wasn't going to screw Tuco over, but Blondie got to have the last laugh by doing this.

"Reality continues to ruin my life" - Calvin
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 04:02:23 AM »

I think it is one last time for Blondie to torment Tuco.  After all Tuco certainly tormented Blondie.  As Blondie is not so concerned about the money he makes Tuco sweat for his share.   Blondie does have a softer streak in him (the dying soldier) so I don't feel he would leave Tuco to hang through his greed.  Blondie shoots the rope from a distance and frees Tuco without losing face and makes Tuco suffer that extra bit.  I like the ending as see a little humour in it as Blondie fire that shot to cut the rope.  It is also an unexpected ending the first time you see it.  It leaves the audience knowing Tuco is alive and could cross paths with Blondie again.
Tim Budz

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 04:09:54 PM »

I also like the fact that Blondie got 'one up' on Tuco again...Blondie dogged Tuco by leaving him stranded and tied, and Tuco repayed him, so to speak, by trying to hang Blondie in the hotel......

so, Blondie squared things up by making Tuco sweat it out for awhile before finally shooting him down....

I really think that they had some kind of odd mutual respect for each other because, and based on, the past that they shared.
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 08:09:37 PM »

I like how Alcy put it: 
Seems to me like Tuco owed Blondie a hanging.
  While that may be true, Blondie is really on up one Tuco at the end seeing how Tuco’s attempt at hanging Blondie was just payback for leaving him in the desert.  I’m trying to remember the first time I saw the movie, some 25 years ago, as to what I thought was going to happen at the end and honestly I don’t remember what I thought.  Certainly Blondie’s not going to execute Tuco or just leave him “hanging” so to speak.  He wouldn’t have left the gold behind if he were to do that.

Did everyone else know the first time they saw the movie that Blondie was going to shoot the rope to free Tuco?  Looking at it in hind site it certainly makes since.

Or, and welcome to the Board Tim Budz!
Tim Budz

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 11:51:41 PM »

thanks D'Ambrosia...it's nice to be here.
Daisie605

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 12:38:56 PM »

What is your opinion about the ending of the film? Why do you think Blondie put Tuco in the noose and rode off leaving half the gold? And why does Blondie shoot the rope, releasing Tuco? Would you feel differently about Blondie if he had left Tuco to die?

Why does he ride off with Tuco stuck to a tree by a noose??

Because its the only safe way for Blondie to get out of range of his 'partner'  with half the gold. Otherwise what's to stop Tuco just taking a shot at Blondie as he rides off? The only alternative to temporarily immoblizing his partner would have been to kill Tuco along with Angel Eyes.
Gold does terrible things to a man. But Blondie was an honorable guy in a dishonorable world. He wanted to do the right thing - give Tuco half the gold - but he needed to avoid getting killed himself in the process.

I'll bet he still got a kick out of scaring ol Tuco half to death in the process of saving his scrawny butt.

(by the way who came up with the screenplay)?
WildTrout

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 03:37:59 PM »

Exactly right Daisie605 IMHO.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T