News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Good, the Bad & the Ugly: The Story 3: A Prequel?  (Read 10133 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 08, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »

In one of the final scenes in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Blondie acquires a poncho from a dying soldier, apparently the same one that the Man with No Name wears in the first two "Dollars" films. Earlier in the film, when he's set free from the Union prison camp, Angel Eyes gives him clothing similar to that worn by Eastwood's character in the first two films. Also, the first two films were set in the period after the American Civil War, while The Good, the Bad and the Ugly takes place during the war.

In your opinion, does all this mean that The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is a prequel to the first two "Dollars" films? If not, why not?

And a related question: Is the character played by Eastwood in the three "Dollars" films actually the same man in all three films? Why do you think he is … or isn't?
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 05:23:51 PM »

I took some time to re-read the old Joe/Manco/Blondy thread before replying to this post and man does it make for some entertaining reading!

It seems a little odd that Leone would go out of his way to include the Poncho at the end of the movie if he wasn’t trying to tie in the character.  It is certainly the same poncho in all three movies but that doesn’t necessarily prove that it’s a prequel, just that Leone was giving the audience a wink and paying some homage to he’s earlier releases.  For one thing there is the time line involved.  The Good the Bad and the Ugly supposedly takes place in 1862.  The other Dollar films take place some where after 1873.  So that would leave at least an 11 year gap between The Good the Bad and the Ugly and Fistful of Dollars.  It doesn’t seem as if Blondie/Joe has aged between the two but maybe Blondie just ages better than most.  There is also the stock actors Leone employs throughout the three films.  Mario Brega, Luigi Pistilli, Gian Maria Volonte, Van Cleef, etc.

Is it a prequel?  Not in the Star Wars sense.  The repetition of the stock actors proves this.  When Leone made Fistful of Dollars he had no plans on the other two movies at the time.  Only with the huge success of Fistful did he consider the possibility of these follow up movies in which he knew that Clint’s persona was one of the keys to it’s success.

Is the man with no name the same guy in all three movies?  Clint certainly plays him very similar to one another.  I think his is meant to be the same guy.

And so the debate goes on…  
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 05:29:30 PM by D'Ambrosia » Logged
Southern cat
Member Extraordinaire

The Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 05:49:53 PM »

We could debate this till we are all blue in the face but this is what great directors do. They make individuals think differently. Films that are clear cut rarely get watched for a second time. After the three movies were made, we still ask the "what if","what does that mean" and "why" questions.

That's one of the reasons we see the films again and again. We are looking for answers to satisfy our own curiosity.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 06:12:20 PM »

Well said SC. 8)

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 12:15:18 AM »

And a related question: Is the character played by Eastwood in the three "Dollars" films actually the same man in all three films? Why do you think he is … or isn't?

Interesting that it says on the front cover, the trigger-tempered hero of For A Few Dollars More.

Is the author claiming it the same character in both films?

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 07:36:38 AM »

I was looking through it again last night, and in the scene where Angel Eyes gives Blondie civilian clothes, he includes a poncho, and remarks that he knows him by reputation. "You, your Mexican cigarros and your poncho are becoming a legend. The Man from Nowhere. The Man with No Name, no nerves—and no scruples."

So apparently in the novelization, it's not only the same gunslinger, but  The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is supposed to be the third of the three stories.

I don't think it's the author's decision, though—he was working for the film's publicists, and they were pushing this as the third  in the saga of "The Man With No Name."
Elizabeth77
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 02:32:03 PM »

After watching it again recently, I got to thinking whether or not I see it as a prequel.  It may have been intended that way, or just promoted that way.  I tend to view all three movies as three separate stories that are inextricably tied together through the use of the same actors and having the main character dressed the same at least part of the time in all three.

I see Blondy in The Good the Bad and the Ugly as a more experienced and cautious character than Joe in Fistful of Dollars.  While he still takes plenty of risks, they seem more calculated to me.  He has been around awhile and is known (at least by reputation) by both Tuco and Angel Eyes.  They both take him seriously.  In Fistful of Dollars, Joe is unknown when he comes into town and doesn't carry a reputation with him.  He rather appears to be making one.  In For A Few Dollars More, Manco is considered by Colonel Mortimer to be young and having a lot to learn yet.  For me, Blondy has done some of that learning, but the placing of that experience in an earlier time period makes it seem improbable that all three characters could be the same.   Even so, I can't really think of them separately.   :)

"Thought I was having trouble with my adding.  It's all right now."
TWOMULES

Email
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 04:06:14 PM »

After watching it again recently, I got to thinking whether or not I see it as a prequel.  It may have been intended that way, or just promoted that way.  I tend to view all three movies as three separate stories that are inextricably tied together through the use of the same actors and having the main character dressed the same at least part of the time in all three.

I see Blondy in The Good the Bad and the Ugly as a more experienced and cautious character than Joe in Fistful of Dollars.  While he still takes plenty of risks, they seem more calculated to me.  He has been around awhile and is known (at least by reputation) by both Tuco and Angel Eyes.  They both take him seriously.  In Fistful of Dollars, Joe is unknown when he comes into town and doesn't carry a reputation with him.  He rather appears to be making one.  In For A Few Dollars More, Manco is considered by Colonel Mortimer to be young and having a lot to learn yet.  For me, Blondy has done some of that learning, but the placing of that experience in an earlier time period makes it seem improbable that all three characters could be the same.   Even so, I can't really think of them separately.   :)

very interesting text, Elizabeth77 O0

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 06:57:03 PM »

Yes, interesting points, Elizabeth77! Maybe Blondy was Joe's older brother.
Elizabeth77
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 09:50:22 PM »

After I made my earlier post, I got to thinking.  There is one other thing that really ties at least two of the films together without explaining their relationship to each other.

The musical theme for the final scene between Blondy, Tuco and Angel Eyes in The Good the Bad and the Ugly is fundamentally the same as that for the final scene between Colonel Mortimer and El Indio in For A Few Dollars More.  There is even the chiming of the watch in both.  I had listened to the soundtracks for both movies a number of times before it struck me.  I don't know what the significance of the repeated musical theme might have to do with tying the stories together, but I find it intriguing.

"Thought I was having trouble with my adding.  It's all right now."
GreenEyes
Member Extraordinaire

"Po-lice trainin' ?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 06:47:54 AM »

Interesting that it says on the front cover, the trigger-tempered hero of For A Few Dollars More.

Is the author claiming it the same character in both films?

Ah the Joe/Manco/Blondie debate!  ;D

Interesting as I never noticed that about the paperback Schofield Kid. You made me run and pull out my own to check it out! Mine basically says the same thing, though it's worded differently and the cover is different than yours.

"Such ingratitude after all the times I saved your life."
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 08:51:28 AM »

I think they are meant to be "sort of sequels/prequels" but also stand alone films, meaning you can make the connection if you want, or view them as different characters if you want.  I suspect this was Leone's intent.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 08:52:52 AM by Philo Beddoe Jr » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T