News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Good, the Bad & the Ugly: The Story 2: The Man With No Past  (Read 2355 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 08, 2010, 09:21:03 PM »

In all three Leone films, nothing is known about the past of the character portrayed by Eastwood, not even his real name: in each film, his only name is a nickname (Joe, Manco, Blondie). This led United Artists publicity agents to dub the character the "Man with No Name."

Does this mystery enhance the story or detract from it? Would you have preferred to have some insight into the Man with No Name's past and his motives?
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 07:21:08 PM »

Well, there are three things we do know about the man with no names past:

1. He never found home all that appealing.

2. He knew someone like Marisol once.

3. He says hes from Illinois.

I do think it enhances the story a bit and adds to the mystery of the character.  
Southern cat
Member Extraordinaire

The Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 12:07:55 AM »

I think it enhances the mystery to the stories. If he had the same name through out the trilogy, that would have answered some more questions. Having the three nicknames keeps us guessing, so to speak. Clever ploy yet modern movies have never copied that idea. ???

It's just easier for them to keep the same character name and title the films, Boring 1, Boring II, Boring III, Boring 4 The Last Hurrah.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 11:01:38 AM »

Well, there are three things we do know about the man with no names past:

1. He never found home all that appealing.

2. He knew someone like Marisol once.

3. He says hes from Illinois.

I do think it enhances the story a bit and adds to the mystery of the character. 

I like D'Amb's answer here. Is that a complete catalogue of the facts that we know about MMWN's past?

Remind me where he says he's from Illinois. I don't remember that line (not doubting you, just don't remember).

Normally, I like to try to learn about the backgrounds of the characters. There's something different about this film though -- it's just not needed. It could be the lightheartedness of it, and that it's not a serious film - it's seriously fun. And for that reason, we don't need a psychological profile, it would just muddy up the fun. All we need to know is who they are right now, and the lengths they'll go through to get their hands on that gold.

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 07:11:31 PM »

Remind me where he says he's from Illinois. I don't remember that line (not doubting you, just don't remember).

It's in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. It's what he answers when the Union Captain asks him where he hails from in the "enlistment" scene. But who knows whether he's telling the truth?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T