News: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood: now on disc and streaming!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Good, the Bad & the Ugly: Acting 4: The Supporting Actors  (Read 5046 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 08, 2010, 09:22:32 PM »

There are many brilliantly portrayed supporting roles in this movie. What do you think of the casting and performances of Luigi Pistilli as Tuco's brother Father Ramirez, Aldo Giuffrè as the Union Captain and Mario Brega as Captain Wallace?

Are there any other performances among the supporting cast members that you particularly liked or disliked? Tell us which ones, and why.
Aline

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 05:40:45 AM »

We tend to concentrate in the three wonderful main actors but can't forget the other ones who helped making the show so good.

We see a lot of faces from For A Few Dollars More, for now I can remember Luigi Pistilli, Mario Brega, Antonio Ruiz and Benito Stefanelli.

I liked Luigi Pistilli performance. So different from his character in For a few dollars more. For that conversation with Tuco, we can tell he likes his brother and feel a kind of sorry/guilty that they took such opposites ways in their lives.

Mario Brega's rugged look makes him play very well another evil character.

Antonio Molino Rojo performance is very touching. The pale make up helps to convince us he is really sick. We feel sorry for him, so powerless towards the whole situation.

Others of my favorites actors that play very small roles are the gun storekeeper (looks like a teddy bear :))and the man without the legs.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 05:17:24 AM by Aline » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 07:58:42 PM »

Aline, I think you have two Union Captains mixed up. Aldo Giuffré played the drunken captain who's in charge of the Union forces at Branstone Bridge. Of course, he is also "powerless towards the whole situation"!

The role of the dying Commandant of Betterville, Captain Harper, was taken by Leone regular Antonio Molino Rojo.

I found these pictures at a great Finnish (!) site I don't recall having visited before ... Shobary's Spaghetti Westerns. Here's a link to the "Actors" section:

http://spaghettiwesterns.1g.fi/actors.htm
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 09:12:43 PM »

One of the best performances I think of the supporting cast, and this may sound strange since he's only onscreen for just over a minute and doesn't say one word is the dying soldier Blondie comes across in the destroyed church.

He doesn't speak but is laying in the rubble shivering and dying and when Blondie Leans over him and touches his wound, he crys out in pain and then you see he spots Blondie's cigar and without saying anything but you can see it in the look in the young soldiers eye, that all he wants is a puff of that cigar before the inevitable.

The look of contentment on the young man's face after puffing on the cigar and then he passes away. I just think it's so brilliantly done. It's not much, but sometimes the less said the better.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 09:39:54 PM »

Agreed, it's a beautiful vignette ... and we've never been able to figure out the young actor's name.
Aline

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 05:21:19 AM »

Aline, I think you have two Union Captains mixed up. Aldo Giuffré played the drunken captain who's in charge of the Union forces at Branstone Bridge. Of course, he is also "powerless towards the whole situation"!

The role of the dying Commandant of Betterville, Captain Harper, was taken by Leone regular Antonio Molino Rojo.

Thank you, KC. I've edited my post because I didn't really liked Aldo Giuffrè performance :P He plays my less favorite character. His drunkness is so overacted that makes all the scenes where he appears boring.

-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 07:25:10 AM »

Nice site KC. I never knew about it either.  :)

Could anyone else have seen the beauty of it?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 08:03:24 AM »

Finns know their Westerns! ;)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T