News: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood: now on disc and streaming!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Good, the Bad & the Ugly: Acting 1: Clint Eastwood's Performance  (Read 2577 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 08, 2010, 09:26:47 PM »

Clint's acting style reminds me of Gary Cooper. What I liked, was his calmness.
—Eli Wallach interview in the documentary Clint Eastwood: Out of the Shadows (Bruce Ricker, 2000)

I often thought that Clint didn't do much acting. He seemed to underplay every speech he made. But when I saw the rushes, I realized that he showed more through his silence than most actors do with a page of dialogue.
—Eli Wallach, The Good, the Bad and Me (c2005), p. 251

What do you think of Clint Eastwood's performance in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly? Discuss scenes in which you feel his performance is the most enjoyable, and describe what in particular you like about it. Is there anything you dislike?
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 05:15:56 AM »

As you said during the movie KC

Clint always plays "tortured" so well!

He really does and you can 'believe' pain and distress.

His 'less is more' approach to acting pays off in all his movies but there are scenes in this one that stand out.    Words are replaced with a look or a movement of the eyes and speak far more than words could ever do.    One scene I feel expresses this is when Blondie and Tuco walk up the street together.  From Blondie's question "Were you gonna die alone?" to the "Idiots, it's for you" Clint expresses much more with looks and smiles than could be said with words.   
Aline

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 05:40:07 AM »

There is nothing I dislike about Clint performance, it's perfect. He is a man with a lot of attitude and few words. He delivers it very well.

Anyone who has never been very interested about Clint, haven't watched this movie because after watching it is impossible don't become interested on other works of him.
The look, the charisma, the handsomeness, the eyes, the way he says his lines.

My favorite scene of him is when Tuco finds him and orders him to step on the stool and put the rope around his neck.

From Tuco:
I have another system. A little different than yours. I don't shoot the rope. I shoot the legs off the stool!

The way Clint looks down is exactly the same reaction that any regular person would have in a situation like that. The surprised look on his face is very real. I find his acting specially good in it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T