News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 257 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 15 Questions: Keeps Rolling, Rolling, Rolling, Along.  (Read 260309 times)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« on: January 23, 2010, 08:01:10 PM »

This is one of the board's longest-running games. The way it's played is that one member is "It" and thinks of something from a Clint Eastwood film. This "something" can be almost anything that's either seen in a film, such as a character, an inanimate object, an animate object, a location, or an event; or something that is heard in a film, such as a song or a popular quote. When the member who is "It" announces he's ready, whoever is playing along will take turns asking questions. Each question must be phrased so that it can be answered either "yes" or "no". The member who is "It" is not required to give more of an answer than that, although if he/she wants to clarify their answer with any additional information, that's up to them.  If the members asking the questions get the correct answer within 15 questions, the team wins and the player who first named the correct item is the winner who is "It" for the next round. There's an extra bonus (peanuts) if the item is guessed within 12 questions. If the correct answer is not given by the 15th question, then the member who is "It" wins. No player should be 'It" for more than two consecutive games, even if he/she has stumped the players two games in a row. At that point, a volunteer should choose to be "It" to start the next game.

Here are some helpful hints for playing:

Usually the members asking the questions will try to first figure out which Eastwood film the item is in. Once the film is known, it's usually best to figure out the category (a character in the film, an inanimate object, an animate object, a song, a location, a popular quote or an event). Once the category is known, questions are asked that help the members figure out what the item could be.

NOTE: We like as many people to play as possible, but if the game is already well underway (on Question Five or after that), please ask if you can join before you jump in with a question.

Below are a few guidelines that all players should become familiar with. Although a player may not agree with all of these, it's important to adhere to them anyway so as not to throw anyone off:

Film Categories

For the purposes of this game, the following (and only the following) are considered "cop films":  Mystic River, Blood Work, A Perfect World, In the Line of Fire, The Rookie, The Dead Pool, Tightrope, City Heat, Sudden Impact, The Gauntlet, The Enforcer, Magnum Force, Dirty Harry and Coogan's Bluff.

The following are films where Clint's character is a cop or a law enforcement officer:  Blood Work, A Perfect World, In the Line of Fire, The Rookie, The Dead Pool, Tightrope, City Heat, Sudden Impact, The Gauntlet, The Enforcer, Magnum Force, Dirty Harry, Coogan's Bluff and Hang 'em High.  (Note that Hang 'em High is on this list, but is not on the list with the "cop films", it is only considered a western.)

The following are films where Clint's character is said to work for the government: Blood Work, Space Cowboys, A Perfect World, In the Line of Fire, The Rookie, The Dead Pool, Heartbreak Ridge, Tightrope, City Heat, Sudden Impact, Firefox, The Gauntlet, The Enforcer, The Eiger Sanction, Magnum Force, Dirty Harry, The Beguiled, Kelly's Heroes, Where Eagles Dare, Coogan's Bluff and Hang 'em High. (Note that Thunderbolt and Lightfoot and Gran Torino are not on this list. In these films, Clint's character is a veteran of the Korean War, but at the time the film takes place, he does not work for the government. In The Outlaw Josey Wales, Josey is working at least informally for the Confederate States of America, but in the opening credits sequence only. We've left it off this list, also.)

The following films are the only westerns:  Unforgiven, Pale Rider, The Outlaw Josey Wales, High Plains Drifter, Joe Kidd, Two Mules for Sister Sara, Hang 'em High, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, For a Few Dollars More and Fistful of Dollars.  (Paint Your Wagon and The Beguiled are not considered westerns.)

For the purposes of this game, these films are the only comedies:  Space Cowboys, Pink Cadillac, City Heat, Any Which Way You Can, Bronco Billy and Every Which Way But Loose.

Check the "Filmography" section of this site to see release years, and to look up the director of any film. This is the list we all go by, which is slightly different from the IMDb. The only change to this list that we make is that Clint is the true director of Tightrope, but the official credits list Richard Tuggle as director.  We always recognize Tightrope as an Eastwood-directed film.

For quicker reference, see the table in the post just below this one.

Only use post Fistful of Dollars films for this game.

All films that were directed by Clint in which he does not appear are perfectly fine to use.

Subject Categories

Animate objects: For the purpose of this game, are objects that are seen in the film which are alive. Animals and characters from the film are animate objects, trees and plant life that are still in the ground are also animate objects.

Inanimate objects: For the purpose of this game, are objects that are seen in the film which are not alive. One of the problems we encountered a while back is what to consider cut flowers (such as the dozen roses that Mally received). We agreed to consider them inanimate since they are no longer alive.  For the same reason, any character who is dead from the beginning of the film (such as Arch Stanton in GBU) is inanimate.

Locations: Are the city, state or country names that a film is supposed to take place in. A location can also be a geographical feature such as a mountain or a body of water, or a building or other stationary manmade structure or group of structures, like a zoo or an amusement park. Vehicles, such as planes, trains and automobiles are not considered locations but inanimate objects.

Song Titles: Please only choose songs which are featured prominently in the film.

Quotes: Please only choose quotes which are "popular" or for whatever reason are very significant.

Events: An event can be any memorable happening in the film, like the street parade in Tightrope, or a shooting in one of the Westerns or cop movies.

If we need to amend any rules as we play along, I'll edit this post so we have one place to look to answer any question that hasn't come up before.

And with that, I believe this thread is up and running.  :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 08:28:58 PM by The Schofield Kid » Logged

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 08:02:01 PM »

Films Not Directed By EastwoodFilms Directed By Eastwood
In the Line of Fire (1993)J. Edgar (2011)
Pink Cadillac (1989)Hereafter (2010)
The Dead Pool (1988) Invictus (2009)
City Heat (1984)Gran Torino (2008)
Any Which Way You Can (1980)Changeling (2008)
Escape from Alcatraz (1979)Letters from Iwo Jima (2006)
Every Which Way But Loose (1978)Flags of Our Fathers (2006)
The Enforcer (1976)Million Dollar Baby (2004)
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (1974)Mystic River (2003)
Magnum Force (1973)Blood Work (2002)
Joe Kidd (1972)Space Cowboys (2000)
Dirty Harry (1971)True Crime (1999)
The Beguiled (1971)Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (1997)
Two Mules for Sister Sara (1970)Absolute Power (1997)
Kelly's Heroes (1970)The Bridges of Madison County (1995)
Paint Your Wagon (1969)A Perfect World (1993)
Where Eagles Dare (1969)Unforgiven (1992)
Coogan's Bluff (1968)White Hunter, Black Heart (1990)
Hang 'em High (1968)The Rookie (1990)
The Witches (1966)Bird (1988)
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)    Heartbreak Ridge (1986)
For a Few Dollars More (1965)Pale Rider (1985)
A Fistful of Dollars (1964)Tightrope (1984)
   Sudden Impact (1983)
   Honkytonk Man (1982)
   Firefox (1982)
   Bronco Billy (1980)
   The Gauntlet (1977)
   The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)
   The Eiger Sanction (1975)
   Breezy (1973)
   High Plains Drifter (1973)
   Play Misty For Me (1971)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 08:40:28 PM by KC » Logged

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 08:27:01 PM »

Anyone is welcome to play at any time at least two members can agree on starting a game, and any number can play. A few of us have also established a time for a "regular round" once a week, which is currently set at 4:00 AM UTC (Greenwich Mean Time) every Monday morning. At this time of the year, that translates to 11:00 PM on Sunday nights in the Eastern United States time zone, and 3:00 PM on Monday afternoons in Sydney, Australia.

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 08:27:45 PM »

As you all can see, we have a brand new thread for our regular 15 Questions trivia rounds. I've also transferred KC's brilliant list of all films Directed and Not Directed by Clint which has been a God send each time I play.

Please note as we mentioned earlier last week that the Locations category has changed slightly from what is was.

Happy posting and as usual our Sunday/Monday round will be on at this time tomorrow. Everyone is most welcome to join in the fun.

Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 07:57:42 AM »

I won't be able to make it tonight but I should be here next Sunday.  O0
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 12:29:24 PM »

I won't be able to make it tonight but I should be here next Sunday.  O0

You'll still be IT, you know. :D

Since Brendan can't make it, it seems I'm IT after getting it in the first game last week.

How many it's were in that sentence? :D

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 07:58:38 PM »

Hi SK.     I wont be here next week as I will be in London hoping to have seen Clint by this time.  :)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 08:00:44 PM »

Lin has arrived right on time. 8)

Hey Lin, you're not getting tired of getting up this early for trivia yet?

Any warmer this Monday morning than last?

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 08:01:07 PM »

I'm here ... who else? :)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 08:02:11 PM »

I wont be here next week as I will be in London hoping to have seen Clint by this time.  :)

Won't that be a little difficult if Clint is on his computer watching us play 15 Questions?

D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 08:02:27 PM »

Hello everyone...  8)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 08:03:15 PM »

Won't that be a little difficult if Clint is on his computer watching us play 15 Questions?

;D He'll watch on his iPhone! ;)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 08:03:38 PM »

Hey KC,

SC may be back for the second game. He had to go to the post office. Something about taking his photo down off the wall? :D

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 08:05:07 PM »

Hey D'Amb.

OK I'm IT.

Fire when ready.

Order of Lin, KC, D'Amb?

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 08:06:15 PM »

Hey KC,

SC may be back for the second game. He had to go to the post office. Something about taking his photo down off the wall? :D

;D
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 08:06:20 PM »

Lin has arrived right on time. 8)

Hey Lin, you're not getting tired of getting up this early for trivia yet?

Any warmer this Monday morning than last?

No to getting tired of getting up at 3.45 am and no to it is no warmer this morning.  :)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 08:07:06 PM »

"He" is here, I see ... ;)
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 08:08:03 PM »

It wouldn't be the same without "HIM".

First question as always.

Directed by Clint?
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 08:09:13 PM »

1- Yes.

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 08:11:02 PM »

Actually I'm surprised it's only one. The last few days these guests have followed me on the board in their dozens.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 257 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T