News: In theaters December 14: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: J.Edgar: Production Information and News  (Read 71660 times)
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: March 10, 2010, 06:33:16 PM »

Clint Eastwood is lining up his next directing project, a biopic of controversial FBI director J. Edgar Hoover.

Eastwood is teaming with Brian Grazer and Ron Howard's Imagine Entertainment on the pic, which was initially set up at Universal, where Imagine has been developing it. Dustin Lance Black, who wrote biopic "Milk," penned the script.

Hoover was instrumental in founding the FBI in 1935 and turned it into an efficient crimefighting organization. He remained its director until his death in 1972, but his sculpted persona was already coming apart at the seams; he employed the FBI to harass political activists and used illegal methods to make secret files on leaders. Many biographies also assert the man was a closeted homosexual and cross-dresser.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i755f10fb8f89b626e334b6e47813f3f4
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 05:42:06 PM by KC » Logged
RedHardigan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 02:55:03 AM »

O0 :o

A man's got to know his limitations.
iconfan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 06:40:09 AM »

Guess this means the Mark Twain biopic and the Neil Armstrong biopic are both on hold for now
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 07:15:08 AM »

Maybe he'll combine them ... ;)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 08:16:16 AM »

Guess this means the Mark Twain biopic and the Neil Armstrong biopic are both on hold for now

After 5 years, it looks like this is finally going to get made, but without Clint's involvement.

Warners has sold the rights to Universal.

http://www.cinematical.com/2008/04/02/neil-armstrong-biopic-finally-on-the-way/

Not sure if the link still works but that announcement was almost two years ago and still nothing.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 08:17:23 AM by The Schofield Kid » Logged

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 02:56:36 PM »

Well I rather watch Hoover biopic than Twain or Armstrong`s biopic.
MC

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 03:12:36 PM »

Cool. I thought Black's Milk script was superbly written, so I'm excited to see what he and Eastwood will do with the life of Mr. Hoover.
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 06:23:59 PM »

" Who Will Rid the World of Clint Eastwood's Films? "

Andy Pemberton

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andy-pemberton/who-will-rid-the-world-of_b_494983.html

The world's most overrated film director has announced he has no plans to quit directing anytime soon. Terrific. Wonderful news. Hang out the bunting!

Clint's next project - film number 36, I believe - is a biopic of J. Edgar Hoover and his days as the controversial director of the FBI.

Will it be a musical? A comedy? A noir thriller? No. It will be a literal-minded tale, free from dramatic devices such as irony, metaphor or anything that might make the darn thing interesting.

In other words, yet another simple-minded snooze fest, just like his recent films Invictus or, God forbid, the insultingly bad Gran Torino.

It could be worse. Ol' granite-face might decide to "act." As Italian director Sergio Leone noted, Clint Eastwood can do two expressions: "Hat on and hat off."

And as writer Allen Barra points out in a ferocious takedown published here:

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
Clint Eastwood Fan

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 09:37:16 PM »

I read that a few days ago.  That guy sounds like an idiot.  He knows nothing of Clint Eastwood or his films. ::)

"Sometimes you have to lose before you can win."

From Ambush at Cimarron Pass
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 10:06:35 PM »

I do sometimes wonder whether people who deliver such rants have actually seen the films they're talking about.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 02:45:49 PM »

Insultingly bad Gran Torino???

Who exactly did the movie insult?. It only grossed $150 million.... Maybe he's a bit miffed Eastwood's movies outside of GT has been box office stiffs. I havent read a blog like that on Eastwood since the old days of Rex Reed...
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 10:59:22 PM »

I do sometimes wonder whether people who deliver such rants have actually seen the films they're talking about.

In this case I question whether this blogger actually wrote the article.  If you follow the link to the other blog he quotes from, you'll see this blog is just a condensed version of that other article/blog.  Except where the original author declares that Eastwood's films are devoid of "irony [and] nuance" Andy Pemberton says Eastwood's films are devoid of "irony [and] metaphor."  Jeez, I'm detecting a bit of irony myself.  Anyway, if irony and metaphor are his criteria for great cinematic art, then I suggest he look no further than Clint's first directorial film Play Misty for Me, which is full of irony and metaphor, if that's your thing. 

But back on topic, I am not crazy about the idea of Clint Eastwood making a biopic of J. Edgar Hoover.  That seems more up Oliver Stone's alley than Clint's, and biopics of political figures are not my favorite sort of movie.  Of course, I'll go see it, but I'm more looking forward to Hereafter.   

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 09:34:21 AM »

Eastwood has recently confirmed this as his next project, while also stating that he is still working on Hereafter.

http://www.movieline.com/2010/03/clint-eastwood-confirms-to-movieline-next-project-is-dustin-lance-black-penned-j-edgar-hoover-biopic.php

It seems like the enthusiasm for this project hasn't been very high on the board. While Hoover is a compelling historical figure, I am not really excited about this project. I will definitely go see it, and am looking forward to seeing who Eastwood casts in the various roles, but I would much rather see a non-historical, completely original work than another biopic.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 05:43:36 PM »

Thanks for the update, AKA. I hope you don't mind, but I edited your first post to change the thread title back to the original one. We don't like to change titles of threads after they're established. If you think a thread title really needs changing, ask a Mod first, please. :)
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 09:19:54 PM »

I am not crazy about another biopick but this sounds interesting. Hoover was an interesting guy.

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 08:06:22 PM »

That seems more up Oliver Stone's alley than Clint's.

Now that you mentioned it, I got to agree with you,Doug.It would be perfect film subject for Oliver Stone.
Still I´m sure Eastwood delivers once again intresting well made film but I wish it`s his last biopic.
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 07:41:34 AM »

That seems more up Oliver Stone's alley than Clint's, and biopics of political figures are not my favorite sort of movie.  Of course, I'll go see it, but I'm more looking forward to Hereafter.   

Now that you mentioned it, I got to agree with you,Doug.It would be perfect film subject for Oliver Stone.
Still I´m sure Eastwood delivers once again intresting well made film but I wish it`s his last biopic.

I trust Clint Eastwood to keep a biographical film on J. Edgar Hoover balanced, informative and engrossing, unlike Oliver Stone.
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 06:21:36 PM »

" Leonardo DiCaprio to Star in J. Edgar Hoover Biopic? "

http://screencrave.com/2010-03-31/leonardo-dicaprio-to-star-in-j-edgar-hoover-biopic/

By Krystal Clark

Leonardo DiCaprio has his eye on Clint Eastwood’s developing J. Edgar Hoover film entitled, Hoover. It was announced early this month that the Oscar winning director would take on the story of the real life FBI head. DiCaprio has already worked with the likes of Steven Spielberg, James Cameron, and of course Martin Scorsese so maybe it’s time for him to spend some time with good old Clint.

The story for the movie is set to cover Hoover’s reign as the head of the FBI from its creation in 1935 to his death in 1972. Hoover is responsible for making the FBI the strong power structure it is today, but the road from its humble beginnings is paved with questionable activities. His public persona was just as interesting as his corrupt dealings behind the scenes.

According to EW, DiCaprio confirmed that he has met with Eastwood regarding the title role in the film. Nothing formal took place but he’s definitely interested in working with the director. The screenplay for the film was written by Oscar winner Dustin Lance Black (Milk), and it will be produced by Brian Grazer’s Imagine Entertainment.

“It sounds interesting to say the least,” says DiCaprio. “There’s no contract, no anything, but I’m a huge fan of Clint’s.”
It sounds like we may have found a match made in cinematic heaven. DiCaprio wasn’t the first actor that came to mind when I heard about this film, but now that it’s out there, I like it. Plus, it would be interesting to see the creative process between him and Eastwood. They’re both serious about their craft but Eastwood’s more of a laid back director, the exact opposite of what DiCaprio’s used to.

Do you think DiCaprio could play J Edgar Hoover? Do you think he could work well with Eastwood?

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 06:34:49 PM »

http://www.hollywood.com/news/DiCaprio_Circling_Eastwoods_Hoover_Biopic/6837315

Source: Deadline New York

Shutter Island is a bona-fide blockbuster and star Leonardo DiCaprio's next film, Christopher Nolan's mind-bending Inception is sure to be a hit, but what's next for the 35 year old superstar? According to Deadline New York, the actor may team with Oscar winners Brian Grazer and Clint Eastwood on their planned J. Edgar Hoover biopic, aptly titled Hoover.

While the project written by Dustin Lance Black (Milk) was originally set up at Grazer's usual production partner, Universal Pictures, it's being mobilized at Eastwood's home at Warner Bros. with hopes to start filming this fall.

This would be the first time DiCaprio has collaborated with Grazer and Eastwood, though the producer and director recently worked together on 2008's Changeling, which racked up an impressive 3 Academy Award nods.

The controversial Hoover has been played before by Bob Hoskins in Oliver Stone's Nixon and most recently by Billy Crudup in Michael Mann's Public Enemies.

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/108/1081150p1.html

IGN Staff

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 06:55:38 PM »

Here's the picture of Leo that was posted beside the pic of J. Edgar in the story on the IGN website. The source is given as Miramax (for the Hoover pic, the FBI).

I can see a certain resemblance.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 07:54:19 PM by KC » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T