News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Viking Night: Dirty Harry  (Read 2392 times)
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: June 23, 2010, 07:26:42 AM »

" Viking Night: Dirty Harry "

http://www.boxofficeprophets.com/column/index.cfm?columnID=12959&xsrc=rec

By Bruce Hall

There are many reasons that certain films achieve what we call "cult" status, but one of them is that they tend to deliver their message in subversive or controversial ways that don't appeal to everyone. While it's true that most people do not like to work for their entertainment, is it possible that even the most unusual films can have something to offer everyone? When I was in college, a group of friends and I would meet regularly to ponder this very question. Beginning with Erik the Viking, we gathered once a week to watch and discuss a different cult classic, but we decided to keep the Viking theme. Now, I'll be working without a turkey leg or a goblet of mead, but with each installment of Viking Night I still seek to examine the same question: Can a film with such limited appeal still speak to us all?

I know what you’re thinking; you’re wondering why I consider such a successful film a cult classic, aren’t you? Forty years on, if even people who’ve never even seen a movie are familiar with its most famous line you’ve got yourself a bona fide hit, right? And while it may not be Clint Eastwood’s most famous role, Harry Callahan is an icon, and the father of the "supercop" stereotype. Without him there might have been no Martin Riggs, no Sonny Crockett, and Fred Dryer might never have become an actor. But upon a recent viewing something occurred to me – this isn’t the movie most people remember, and as originally conceived, Callahan wasn’t quite the cartoon character many think of today.

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 07:04:56 PM »

Pretty cool article. O0
rr-electricangel

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 11:33:01 AM »

This is a good examination of Dirty Harry in the context of it's significance. However, I've got to go back to Magnum Force and see what the author means by lampooning the musical score of the first film.  :police:

Clint Eastwood's words of wisdom: "Take your profession seriously; don't take yourself seriously. Don't take yourself seriously in the process, because you really only matter to a certain degree in the whole circus out here."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T