News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account setup.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: clint and nudity  (Read 3757 times)
icnmedia

Email
« on: September 06, 2010, 05:44:04 AM »

some of  clints early films directed by others (dirty harry, tightrope) had some nudity in them. I was just wondering why clint has never utilized nudity in his directed films? (except for quick shots of sondra locke in the gauntlet & Josey wales). We all know he uses violence and cussing.
KC
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 10:31:03 AM »

Tightrope was actually directed by Eastwood, although credited to Richard Tuggle. That  particular story seemed to call for some nudity. I'm guessing that in most of his films, he doesn't feel nudity will enhance the story.
TWOMULES

Email
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 11:10:07 AM »

I was just wondering why clint has never utilized nudity in his directed films?

icnmedia,  maybe Eastwood as a director just couldn't bare it ;)
icnmedia

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 11:11:16 AM »

good to know KC, thanx about tightrope info.
I just thought with all the places in clint directed movies he could of utilized nudity to add to a scene (ala; Laura linney on top of sean penn in Mystic river, he was topless. why not her too?) Just curious. and not spending too much time on it, LOL.
I'm NOT complaining, just wondering. Like a passing thought.
icnmedia

Email
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 11:12:30 AM »

Ha ha, good one Twomules, now get off my damn lawn!  hahahaha ;D
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 12:22:19 PM »

From memory, Eastwood directed movies that feature nudity:

Play Misty for Me
Breezy
The Eiger Sanction
The Outlaw Josey Wales (as icn mentioned)
The Gauntlet (also mentioned)
Sudden Impact
Tightrope (since we tend to credit him with it)
Heartbreak Ridge
Space Cowboys

Eastwood tends to not make the shot in the film about the nudity, hence why it seems there isn't much in his work. There's nothing gratuitous about it. And with most of those films, what little bit is there still isn't necessary.
icnmedia

Email
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 12:51:30 PM »

Christopher, thanx for the lowdown on the flix. I forgot most of them, like eiger sanction.
KC
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 12:52:24 PM »

I forgot about Space Cowboys ... I'd call that shot pretty necessary, Christopher. ;)
icnmedia

Email
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 02:23:13 PM »

Hey all you all, I want to apologize. Ive been a clint fan for at least 40 years and have all of clints movies sitting right in front of me and I should of thought about the question before I had a brain-fart! thanx to christopher for bringing it to my attention. I am just ashamed. So, sorry for the absent mindedness with the stupid question. guess its okay if youre a clint newbie.....
PS: please dont tell clint!    ;)
KC
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 02:36:16 PM »

Icnmedia, there's absolutely no need to apologize ... it's still a good question for discussion. The nude scenes in Clint's movies are very minimal and not exploitative.

For instance, in Play Misty for Me, the nude scene takes place under a waterfall, it's very brief, and it's shot at a distance. Nobody goes to a Clint Eastwood movie to be titillated by scenes of naked men and women.
icnmedia

Email
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 03:06:57 PM »

thanx KC, BTW: whats this on clint, instead of tuggle really directing tightrope? In all these years Ive never heard anything about this.?
I know he took over Josey wales from phillip kaufman...
TWOMULES

Email
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 03:14:40 PM »

Icnmedia, there's absolutely no need to apologize ... it's still a good question for discussion.

Icnmedia, I agree with KC. O0

I am just about to get off your damn lawn now! ;)

you need to buy some grass seeds, I can see a bare patch ;D ;D
icnmedia

Email
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 03:31:36 PM »

two mules......my lawn dont like people laughing!   ;D
KC
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 07:14:11 PM »

thanx KC, BTW: whats this on clint, instead of tuggle really directing tightrope? In all these years Ive never heard anything about this.?
I know he took over Josey wales from phillip kaufman...

See this thread, from the Tightrope discussion a few years ago:

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=4263.0
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 07:18:09 PM by KC » Logged
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 01:16:57 PM »

Kay Lenz has to be top of the list of showing nudity in any Eastwood movie. Rebecca Perle is definately in my list of 'It doesn't matter, she's looks look just with a ice pop."
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 02:38:22 PM »

Another interesting point is the amount of films Eastwood has appeared in or directed that feature scenes of rape, or attempted rape.. theres quite a few.. I was surprised when watching Bronco Billy the other night to see an attempted rape scene that I'd completely forgotten about..

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 03:15:49 PM »

Another interesting point is the amount of films Eastwood has appeared in or directed that feature scenes of rape, or attempted rape.. theres quite a few.. I was surprised when watching Bronco Billy the other night to see an attempted rape scene that I'd completely forgotten about..

Has Clint ever been asked this question in interviews over the years? As I have thought about it too in the past and it's quite a disturbing pattern. Is there a particular reason behind it? Obviously Clint doesn't write the scripts but I'd be interested to hear his thoughts as to why it pops up in quite a few of his films.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
KC
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 05:04:12 PM »

I don't think he's ever gotten that question, not in an interview I recall reading anyway, but I think it has been commented on in some of the articles and books about him.

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 08:05:12 PM »

Seems like I've read something on the board where he'd commented on the rape scene in High Plains Drifter and maybe someone had asked him about the somewhat of a rape scene in The Rookie. He may have said something along the lines that he might not do it the same way now.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2010, 08:21:21 PM »

The rape scene in The Rookie is probably the one that doesn't bother me as much as any others as had the film been better it could have been an interesting topic of discussion. The woman in control over a man and seeing Clint so vunerable after all his macho roles, seeing him being treated this way was the complete opposite of what we've come to know.

I don't think are too many films out there that have explored the subject of a woman who rapes a man. I vaguely remember Richard Crenna being in a film that the plot was of him being a victim of a rape.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T