News: Watch Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, now available streaming and on Blu-ray and DVD!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Trek Appreciation Thread (TOS only please)  (Read 50319 times)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #220 on: February 20, 2020, 06:19:13 PM »

“The Changeling”

9/29/67 (Original Airdate)

2/02/08 (Remastered Airdate)

The basic plot to this is revisited in Star Trek: The Motion Picture.  Like the NASA space probe Voyager VI, Nomad was launched to collect data for return and study to Earth.  Similarly, it was altered during its’ journey, in turn becoming a danger to all life forms it would encounter. 

It’s entertaining to see Kirk expose Nomad’s flaw in its’ memory bank and pointing out that it is “in error” which leads to the probes’ self destruction.  It probably would’ve made more sense to have the logical Mr. Spock execute this task but Kirk did it in a more passionate and entertaining manner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 05:23:15 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #221 on: February 21, 2020, 07:31:45 AM »

Not to interrupt your flow, Jed, but a few months ago I bought a DVD set of the six Star Trek movies with the original cast. I've seen them before and enjoyed them. I'd watched just a few episodes of the original series before watching them just to get a general idea of what they were like (this also came after seeing the 2009 movie). It'd probably be worth going back into the original series (I don't remember if Netflix still has it).
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #222 on: February 24, 2020, 01:29:16 PM »

Not to interrupt your flow, Jed, but a few months ago I bought a DVD set of the six Star Trek movies with the original cast. I've seen them before and enjoyed them. I'd watched just a few episodes of the original series before watching them just to get a general idea of what they were like (this also came after seeing the 2009 movie). It'd probably be worth going back into the original series (I don't remember if Netflix still has it).

No worries, man.  Glad to hear you’re checking them out.  I only began revisiting the 2nd season recently, along with the 1st season of Rawhide.  Lately, I’ve been revisiting The Wrath Of Khan repeatedly.  Still my favorite.  “Khaaaaaan!!!” 

😎

“Eyuh.”
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #223 on: March 16, 2020, 05:51:38 PM »

Just returned home from a screening of The Wrath of Khan at London's Apollo Theatre Hammersmith accompanied by a talk and Q&A with William Shatner. Most entertaining.. He's still razor sharp with a wicked sense of humour.. Lots of great stories
about the making of this movie... and the film itself stands up well..

Sadly this will probably be the last event I'll be attending for a while as all theatres and clubs etc are closing down now due to the virus..

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #224 on: April 15, 2020, 05:22:34 PM »

That’s great, Gant.  I’m glad you enjoyed it.  I did the same with Tina a couple of years ago and we both enjoyed it.  Of my boyhood heroes I can say I actually got to meet one of them.  The King is dead, so, that’s off the table.  Out of who remains, Shatner and Eastwood, if I had the luxury of a choice I’d prefer to meet Clint because he seems more personable and receptive to fans.

The closest I ever came was when Eastwood was in Cambridge, Massachusetts to accept his Hasty Puddings Man Of The Year Award from Harvard University in 1991.  I remember talking with a friend about it on the phone and he asked if I planned on going.  Still a fan, but jaded over Pink Cadillac, White Hunter, Black Heart and The Rookie I had no desire to make the attempt.  I now wish I had.

The second time Clint was in the vicinity was 11 years later, filming Mystic River in Boston in 2002.  I knew there was slim chance even seeing him, much less actually meeting him so I decided to not even bother trying. 

I’m glad I went out of my way to see William “Captain Kirk” Shatner talk to us in the audience after a screening of The Wrath Of Khan.  That was very fun and entertaining.  I went against my better judgment of paying for a photo with him but my biggest regret is not shaking his hand and thanking him.  If he comes by again I’ll do it right next time and have Tina take a photo of us shaking hands.  That way, I’ll have two separate images of the moment captured and the satisfaction of expressing my gratitude.

Captain Kirk was my first boyhood hero.  I loved Shatner’s portrayal.  He was courageous, tough and determined.  Yeah, there were moments he overacted but at his best he was the ultimate space exploring hero.  I would get caught up in the fights he won, the passionate speeches he gave and the women he loved, alien and human.  The glimpses of his sense of humor revealed was the icing on the cake, especially when displayed with the camaraderie he shared with Leonard Nimoy as Spock and DeForest Kelley as Dr. McCoy.  To me, Shatner as Kirk is the epitome of Star Trek. 

“Eyuh.”
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #225 on: April 18, 2020, 12:13:11 AM »

Agreed Jed. Same with me growing up..
It’s strange to think that seeing Mr Shatner live was my very last night out before lockdown. Many of his other shows
were cancelled and London literally shut down the very next day. We were so lucky to see him.. Great watching the film with such a large audience too..

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T