News: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood: now on disc and streaming!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What was your first Clint Eastwood movie, and how did it affect you?  (Read 5767 times)
bdc28
Classic Member

View Profile Email
« on: December 22, 2010, 11:22:12 AM »

In closing the year, I thought this topic would likely tell the most about the people here, the worlds they come from, and how everyone finds a bit of themselves in Clint Eastwood, and how he brings us together.  I will start with myself.

The year was 1982. I was being terrorized by the neighborhood gangs. Some beatings are just overkill, ya know? Anyway since we all went to school together, skipping school was beginning to become a good habit.

In Washington DC the best movies to watch always came in the afternoon. So since I had just gotten back from school, I plopped down, and turned on the tube. The movie, was FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE.

I became mesmorized by the MAN WITH NO NAME. How he was hopelessly outgunned but could out smart everyone around him. How unbelievably cool and quiet he was (Lets be fair, I was 12). I had never seen anything like that, a  hero that was not tougher, but smarter. And quiet, and cool, even when ANYONE ELSE would freak out.  I had never heard of the term minimalism at age 12, but I was seeing its effects before my eyes.

When the movie was over, I was left speechless, and wanting to know who this man was. I obviously couldnt describe this to my parents and ask, and since this was the age before cable, I didnt know if I would ever see the COOLEST GUY Id ever seen in my life again....months later I immediately recognized the same cool guy in TWO MULES, and hence began my reference and following of everything he ever did. He became my hero.

At that point he became my hero and influenced everything from my walk to the way I glared at someone...to this day I laugh to myself when I feel myself imitating the gait in my walk that I learned how to do watching him walk thru town in HANG EM HIGH, although now I do it by force of habit.

And that love of that character I carry to this day.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 03:07:00 AM by KC » Logged

"I once shot an elephant in my pajamas. What he was doing wearing my pajamas I have no idea..."
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »

It's tough for me to remember exactly what my first Eastwood movie was since I was so young at the time. I have mentioned before that I believe Sudden Impact was my first Eastwood movie. I watched it when I was around five years old--TV edited, of course! ;) So my introduction to Eastwood and the Dirty Harry character came quite early, and clearly damaged my young impressionable mind beyond all repair. :D
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 07:40:21 AM »

Unforgiven. I've told the story often, perhaps I'll repeat it tonight if I have time.

What about the rest of you? I know we've had similar threads before, but it was a long time ago, and some of you weren't around then.
Aline

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 08:06:23 AM »

Coogan's Bluff :)

All started when I watched Coogan's Bluff on tv. It was late night and I had to wake up early next morning then put it to record. The day after, when I watched, the ending was missing. I go crazy, it was a cliffhanger, Coogan finally got Ringerman so I wanted know how it ended.

The following day, I rented it. While I watched, I noticed missing scenes I didn't see in the tv version. I love that movie. I didn't want to get out of my room, I watched it over and over, I couldn't get tired of it. Since that day I started looking for all the movies starting Clint.

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=8159.0

I could add that watching that movie, I thought him the most handsome and seductive man ever :)

GreenEyes
Member Extraordinaire

"Po-lice trainin' ?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 10:18:41 AM »

Coogan's Bluff :)

Thumbs up Aline!  O0

As for my first Eastwood movie, I'll have to agree with bdc28 on this one. It was "The Man With No Name" Trilogy that was my first into to him. My dad would watch them on late night TV when I was a a little kid. From then on I always remembered the theme to "GBU".  ;D  I too liked the idea that he could always "outsmart" everyone else and that he could  "speak softly and carry a big stick".

While I definitely appreciate Eastwood's other works, those movies still remain among my favorites.  :)

"Such ingratitude after all the times I saved your life."
Aline

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 10:58:42 AM »

No wonder why I love your avatar, GreenEyes :)
GreenEyes
Member Extraordinaire

"Po-lice trainin' ?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 06:04:23 AM »

No wonder why I love your avatar, GreenEyes :)

Thank you Aline! I had someone make the avatar for me  from a larger clip from the movie.  :)

"Such ingratitude after all the times I saved your life."
HarryCallahan

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 02:00:33 AM »

It was High Plains Drifter for me when I was around 9 years of age. The only two things that stay in my mind about seeing that movie at that time was the music and the whole town painted red. After seeing this film I never looked back. Eastwood was great in High Plains Drifter btw.

You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do i feel lucky?' Well do ya punk?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 03:10:14 AM »

Nice post, HarryCallahan!

After all this this time I've edited the original post to change "effect" in the thread title to the verb that pendants like me prefer, "affect." I hope bdc28 doesn't mind! ;)
Lieutenant Schaffer

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 06:38:00 AM »

The first Clint Eastwood movie I saw was 'Where Eagles Dare'.
I don't remember exactly how old I was, but I guess I was 7 - 8 years old.
It is still my most favorite Clint Eastwood movie. I have a VHS-tape, 4 different DVD's and the blu-ray of the movie.
I won't have any problems when one breaks :P.

And I have a large Where Eagles Dare movie poster in my entertainment room :).
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 08:20:55 PM »

I saw Bronco Billy in the theater when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade. I loved it!

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
perfectnumber6

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 05:28:43 PM »

The first movie that got me to sit up and take notice was Hang 'em High and then was followed by High Plains Drifter on TV, just about a year ago. To be honest, it was for a pretty superficial reason, I just couldn't take my eyes off of him! So, that led to me finding any Clint movie I could get my hands on, and I began to respect him as an actor in addition to just wanting to look at him ;)  Besides, he's just really cool. I've since progressed from just watching Clint movies—now I've gotten into Westerns in general and also other movies from the '60's and '70's. I'd say watching Hang 'em High set off a chain reaction that has led me to MANY other great movies and actors/actresses! Thanks Clint :-)

Blondie: One, two, three, four, five and six. Six, the perfect number.
Angel Eyes: I thought three was the perfect number.
Blondie: Yeah, well I've got six more bullets in my gun.
ilconsigliere

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 11:34:06 AM »

The Enforcer. Obviously, I became an Eastwood fan, and a Dirty Harry fan as well.

A man's got to know his limitations.
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 03:51:28 AM »

I think it was The Good,The Bad And The Ugly in my hometown`s cinema back in the 80`s.I was about 11 years old and I was hooked from the start.
First"new"Eastwood-film that I saw was Firefox but by then I was already"die hard"-Eastwood fan   :)

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 02:08:56 PM »

I think it was Fistful of Dollars..and I got in trouble for staying up too late  ::)

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Shannonsmith1993

Email
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 04:02:41 PM »

A Perfect World about 11 or 12 years ago. I remember watching TV just flipping through the channels when I found my favorite actor at the time (Kevin Costner) and since then I've been a fan of Clint's  O0
Aline

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 08:18:45 AM »

To me it was Coogan's Bluff. The advertising on tv was amazing and my parents were on the living room wih me and all of us got very excited. The movie was scheduled to start late night and I set up my vhs to record it (its was vhs era ^-^ ). Next day I went to watch, I loved it but as happened in a lot things I recorded, the ending was missing :buck2: I got so sad, it was in a cliffhanger, Coogan was about to get Ringerman. I got so frustraded and wanted to see the endind so desperately. I wen to a video rental store and the movie was there. I had nice surprises, many scenes were missing in the tv version.
How did it affected me? Massive crush. I was in my earlier teen days, I always was very shy around boys and developed a platonic love for Clint/Coogan. I couldn't get out of the room watching it, I memorized every line of that movie. From then on, I wanted to watch every movie of this actor, and it was happening not in chronological order. The next ones were Bronco Billy and Escape from Alcatraz, I though him incredible in everything. Then came Dirty Harry serie and my enthusiasm just increased. My beloved and late dad became a fan too and we used to spend Sunday afternoons watching and re watching his movies. It was how all started for me. Nice memories of wonderful days of my life.

I used to have the five stars
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2016, 07:21:38 PM »

That's a lovely story, Aline!
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2016, 11:23:01 PM »

Coogans Bluff was my second and it made a big impact on me also...

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2016, 03:40:06 PM »

Magnum Force. I only dated Asian women after that.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T