News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eastwood Movie Challenge, Week Thirty-Two: Jersey Boys  (Read 1498 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 28, 2016, 09:31:39 PM »

This will be the thread for members taking part in the Eastwood Movie Challenge to discuss the Week Thirty-Two film, Jersey Boys. This is a "catch up" week, so there is only one film on the schedule. Post any thoughts you have on watching or re-watching Jersey Boys here. Week Thirty-Two runs from August 29 through September 4.

For the rest of the schedule, please see this post: Eastwood Movie Challenge schedule.

I was away for the weekend, so I didn't get to start this thread as early as usual. If you started watching early anyway, please post your comments while the memory is fresh. And if you're still catching up ... the threads from Week One through Week Thirty-One are still awaiting your comments!

And if you haven't already, make a post in our Eastwood Movie Challenge Journal and add the movies and dates you watch them, and keep updating it as we go through the Challenge so we can all keep track of where everyone stands.

The official run of the Challenge is nearly over now. But it's never too late to begin or continue your own personal Eastwood Challenge. Feel free to jump in anywhere and watch as many films in order as you can! And please post in the Challenge threads, which will remain open indefinitely.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 01:37:29 PM »

I wish I’d gone out of my way to see the Broadway production of this but haven’t had the chance.  Not as painful to return to as I thought it would be probably because I favor the music here head and heels above that of his other musical biopic, Bird.   
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 10:16:06 AM by Jed » Logged

“Eyuh.”
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 12:13:25 AM »

I really like Jersey Boys. I saw the broadway show a couple of months before the film and the film holds up well compared to the stage show. The music is great and I think all the actors do a good job.

My favorite scene is at Gyp's house and the truth comes out about how much money Tommy owes and Nick finally snaps and begins a rant about sharing a room with Tommy on the road and all the towels he uses and when Gyp is leaving the room to talk to Norm Waxman about the money, he turns to Tommy and says, "Stay outta the bathroom!"

Overall, solid entertainment.

Check out the DVD extra where they are filming the final dance sequence over the end credits and see Clint try his dance moves. Shame they couldn't convince him to make a cameo at the end.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 01:29:39 AM »

My favorite scene is at Gyp's house and the truth comes out about how much money Tommy owes and Nick finally snaps and begins a rant about sharing a room with Tommy on the road and all the towels he uses and when Gyp is leaving the room to talk to Norm Waxman about the money, he turns to Tommy and says, "Stay outta the bathroom!"

My favorite scene is the last one -- not the Hall of Fame induction -- the part where Frankie starts singing Sherry, and all these names start crawling across the screen.

Yeah, to me the best part of the movie comes after listening to a screeching staccato impersonation of Frankie Valli for over two hours, and then hearing the real Frankie Valli sing and realizing that he was kind of special after all. It's kind of lost in the film -- everyone always talks about his voice, and how amazing it is -- but when John Lloyd Young sings, it's not at all enjoyable. But, he seems to have the dance moves down. Sometimes he even looks like him.

I bet this was a much better stage show than a movie. In a live theater setting, it might have even sounded good... much like their larger-than-life expressions, these things just work better in theater. These are theater actors. The camera is too intimate. Every little minor glance can be meaningful and huge, and this cast doesn't understand that.

So while I was (mostly) not enjoying the film, I wondered if it was just supposed to be a movie of the musical, instead of a movie in its own right. And, it does work a lot better that way.

All that being said... it's still hard to listen to that awful singing.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T