News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Jack Lalanne  (Read 1763 times)
right turn clyde

Shockley, you big prick !

View Profile Email
« on: January 24, 2011, 04:53:20 PM »

Died on 23/01/11....Clint used to train with him when he was getting fit for his movies.

http://www.life.com/image/first/in-gallery/54851/life-remembers-jack-lalanne#index/3
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 10:04:48 PM »

From Richard Schickel's Clint Eastwood, p. 360:

Ever the realist, Clint did not think that Morris and his confederates actually made good their escape. He consulted his friend Jack LaLanne, the fitness expert (he had advised Maggie on diet and exercise when she was carrying Kyle), who had actually swum the waters around Alcatraz as a stunt, and he convinced Clint that no one could survive the cold and the currents without special training, which the prisoners, obviously, could not have managed. Siegel agreed. In his first cut he strongly implied that the escapees had died in the water. But that was too glum even for Clint. He insisted on a restoration of a little sequence in which the warden finds evidence (a chrysanthemum, the film's symbol of resistance to authority) that they made it to the dry land of Angel Island. It was the right decision. True to life or not, he (and the audience) wanted this great effort to be rewarded.

Here's a link to LaLanne's obituary in the New York Times ... I read it this morning without even thinking of Clint. An interesting life, and a very, very long one!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/24/sports/24lalanne.html

At 60 he swam from Alcatraz Island to Fisherman’s Wharf handcuffed, shackled and towing a 1,000-pound boat ...

He started working out with weights when they were an oddity, and in 1936 he opened the prototype for the fitness spas to come — a gym, juice bar and health food store — in an old office building in Oakland. ...

The Eastwoods settled in the Oakland area around 1940. I wonder if Clint met him way back before he became famous?

R.I.P.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T