News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Consider centering the forum  (Read 6252 times)
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: February 04, 2011, 08:55:55 AM »

It is hard on the eyes on wide screen monitors.

Use this forum as an example:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-movies-north-america/

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 10:06:16 AM »

Not sure what you mean PBJ.  ???

My 21 inch wide screen monitor is fine on this site or any I look at on the web. Even that one you linked.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 10:08:53 AM »

This forum fills the screen from left to right on my monitor.  The Blu ray forum is in the center with space on the sides.
Not sure what you mean PBJ.  ???

My 21 inch wide screen monitor is fine on this site or any I look at on the web. Even that one you linked.

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 10:12:21 AM »

This forum fills the screen from left to right on my monitor.  The Blu ray forum is in the center with space on the sides.

I never get spaces on the sides with any sites, they all fill the screen. 

Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 10:51:11 AM »

Is your monitor 16x9 or 4x3?

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 08:55:49 PM »

My monitor is 16 x 9 (I think it's 21"), and I do find that any page that fills the screen is a bit hard to read because the lines of text are too long.

To get around that, I use the "Restore" button on my browser window (in the upper right hand corner, between the "X" on the extreme right that closes the window and the "-" that sends it down to the taskbar). If the window is maximized, that is, it fills the screen, the symbol on this button looks like two overlapping squares. Click it ("Restore down") and it becomes a single square. Now you can resize it to any width you like by hovering your pointer over one side until it becomes a double-headed arrow and pushing it in.

PBJ, this site used to have a "centered" format, but Cal changed it several years ago. I'm not sure why, but I personally like it this way better.

Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 11:31:21 PM »

yes the lines are too long and it is hard on the eyes, i could resize my browser I guess but I think most web forums these days are centered because of the headache factor
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 11:32:26 PM by Philo Beddoe Jr » Logged

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 12:27:13 AM »

Well, this one isn't. So make your browser narrower. What's the big deal?
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 06:00:42 AM »

it's annoying and unnecessary, and it looks amateur and turns visitors away

but whatever...

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 07:34:35 AM »

Well, if you have a complaint about the forum design, you'd do best to contact the Webmaster (Cal) directly. But I'd be surprised if he gets a lot of complaints about this issue.

Thanks for stopping by, PBJ.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 08:29:30 AM »

I prefer the look of this board to the Blu-ray one. And the "centered" board has maybe a half an inch space on either side.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 03:40:40 PM »

I'm still confused by all this.

No matter what website I'm on, they all fill my widescreen monitor, but it looks perfectly fine.

I suffer from migraines occassionally, but have never gotten one from looking at the PC.

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 03:52:47 PM »

You can chalk it up to personal preference, of course. The Blu-ray board looks okay but I'm used to the look of this one.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 03:59:48 PM »

You can chalk it up to personal preference, of course. The Blu-ray board looks okay but I'm used to the look of this one.

This is why I'm confused. Both websites look the same to me. ???

Southern cat
Member Extraordinaire

The Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 05:10:34 PM »

I haven't got a problem with it on my 4:3 screen except on the first page of the Aussie Thread Meg's pic is on the left and her name is on the right side of the screen. Maybe because I haven't got a widescreen but everything else is fine.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2016, 07:23:58 PM »

I get what Philo Beddoe Jr. is saying here. I took some screencaps of our forum compared to the forum layout that he prefers.  See how there's the light blue space on the left and right of the BluRay forum? In the last photo, you can see that the width of the forum is therefore narrower to read.  My monitor is 28" wide.  I also understand what Philo Beddoe Jr. meant when he said he could minimize his screen, but why would he want to? Well, I have about 10 tabs and sometimes several windows open, so I can understand why minimizing would be an unnecessary nuisance.  As for which look is better, I don't really care, but I do have headaches a lot, so who knows if it would help.  Click on the images for full size.

#1 Ours:

#2 Theirs:

#3 the Readable area of theirs only (cropped to not include the outside borders)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2016, 07:34:52 PM »

I usually keep my browser somewhere short of maximized. It makes all content easier to read. Plus I can glance over to the "sidebar" on the right side of the screen and check the temperature outside ... or the date, in case I've gotten so carried away with posting that I forgot it.

EDIT: I see I already mentioned this in this thread:

My monitor is 16 x 9 (I think it's 21"), and I do find that any page that fills the screen is a bit hard to read because the lines of text are too long.

To get around that, I use the "Restore" button on my browser window (in the upper right hand corner, between the "X" on the extreme right that closes the window and the "-" that sends it down to the taskbar). If the window is maximized, that is, it fills the screen, the symbol on this button looks like two overlapping squares. Click it ("Restore down") and it becomes a single square. Now you can resize it to any width you like by hovering your pointer over one side until it becomes a double-headed arrow and pushing it in.

PBJ, this site used to have a "centered" format, but Cal changed it several years ago. I'm not sure why, but I personally like it this way better.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 07:37:10 PM by KC » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2016, 07:41:10 PM »

Yeah, I saw that post -- I was showing images because SK didn't understand what we were talking about -- the forums looked the same to him. I imagine on a non-widescreen monitor, both would fill the screen and look the same.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2016, 08:07:51 AM »

I think I can see his point a little better now. If you have a larger screen, it could be harder to read from the left all the way over to the far right. When printed books are larger, they use columns after all, so it's easier to read.

And that Blu-ray board looks like it has more like an inch on either side now, unlike what I'd said a few years ago here:
I prefer the look of this board to the Blu-ray one. And the "centered" board has maybe a half an inch space on either side.

I still haven't had any issues with this site's format though. You don't have to start reading all the way over at the left side because we have the poster's name, and that helps.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2016, 11:05:16 AM »

Facebook's margins are insane -- the center is actually very narrow.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T