News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Charles Bronson Appreciation Thread  (Read 43166 times)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 06:14:30 PM »

I've seen all of those except for Showdown at Boot Hill. I like all those others quite well.

Has anyone seen From Noon Till Three? I happened to notice a 2-film DVD with that and Assassination. I have Assassination on another Bronson pack somewhere, but I don't remember hearing anything about that first one before. I didn't buy it but probably should have since it was probably only $5 or $6, so that could be worth it for the one movie I haven't seen there.
_Clintan_

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 06:18:45 PM »

From Noon Till Three is a great movie, very different from other Bronson movies, same goes for his performance. Definitely worth a purchase. Available on Blu-ray from Germany: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0063NT8S8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF

I was under the impression that From Noon Till Three had only been released in Japan on DVD, never anywhere else. I've seen a standalone DVD on Amazon.com though, but it didn't seem very official and was only sold through sellers on the marketplace.

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 06:22:55 PM »

_Clintan_

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 06:24:07 PM »

Interesting, released less than a year ago. Go for it, definitely worth owning it!

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 06:28:28 PM »

I found a DVD from the same company (and has the same basic cover design) with 10 to Midnight and Kinjite, and that one I did pick up a little while back.
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 09:16:27 AM »

Just saw the thread.

My second favorite actor.
Seen all his movies (mid 60's onwards).
Death hunt is my favorite Bronson film.Had seen it in a theater when released.

There is a book about the making of the DW series,which I bought a couple of years back.
Sadly no biography though.

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2013, 02:03:43 PM »

Just saw the thread.

My second favorite actor.
Seen all his movies (mid 60's onwards).
Death hunt is my favorite Bronson film.Had seen it in a theater when released.

There is a book about the making of the DW series,which I bought a couple of years back.
Sadly no biography though.

I'd love to read a biography on Charles Bronson!  Man, that would be so interesting!  What's the name of the book about the Death Wish series?  Can you provide the author and an image?

“Eyuh.”
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2013, 02:40:16 PM »

Yeah, I would be interested in a book about the making of the Death Wish movies too.

Speaking of Death Wish, I'm surprised the sequels don't seem to be available on DVD in widescreen format. I have the first in widescreen on DVD, but wouldn't mind having the whole set.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2013, 03:01:47 PM »

Yeah, I would be interested in a book about the making of the Death Wish movies too.

Speaking of Death Wish, I'm surprised the sequels don't seem to be available on DVD in widescreen format. I have the first in widescreen on DVD, but wouldn't mind having the whole set.

Yeah, the Death Wish series should get a decent reissue treatment; widescreen on dvd & Blu-ray with trailers and bonus material. 

“Eyuh.”
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2013, 03:21:49 PM »

I was doing some searches for Brian Garfield's original novel Death Wish and came across the book about the making of the movies. It's called Bronson's Loose! The Making of the Death Wish Films

http://www.amazon.com/Bronsons-Loose-Making-Death-Films/dp/0595379826/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374099367&sr=1-1&keywords=bronson%27s+loose
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2013, 05:41:00 AM »

Very cool.  I found a few titles for Bronson fans.  I'd be interested in reading the first 2. 

Menacing Face Worth Millions: A Life Of Charles Bronson by Brian D'Ambrosio (2012)  Amazon  You may find this interesting:  Brian D’Ambrosio | Menacing Face Worth Millions: A Life of Charles Bronson

The 95 Films and 156 Television Appearances by Michael R. Pitts (2004)  Amazon

Charlie & Me by Harriet Bronson (2010)  Amazon

“Eyuh.”
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2013, 06:53:18 AM »

I'd love to read a biography on Charles Bronson!  Man, that would be so interesting!  What's the name of the book about the Death Wish series?  Can you provide the author and an image?

Sorry Jed.Just saw your message.
Christopher has got it right.

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2013, 07:27:47 AM »

Sorry Jed.Just saw your message.
Christopher has got it right.

No worries, Antonis.  Are you going to check out Menacing Face Worth Millions?  I'm going to see if I can get it through one of my library networks.  That and the Death Wish book. 

“Eyuh.”
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2013, 10:50:30 AM »

Are you going to check out Menacing Face Worth Millions?  I'm going to see if I can get it through one of my library networks.  That and the Death Wish book.

I guess so.Next month though,cause I'm preparing for summer vacations :)

_Clintan_

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2013, 11:23:14 AM »

Menacing Face Worth Millions is a great book, the most recent and complete book on Bronson I've ever read. It contains a lot of key stuff already covered in other books, so you get a little bit of everything. Definitely worth a read for all Bronson fans. It's a print-on-demand book only, so I'm not sure if your library can get a copy. It's well worth the money to buy it yourself, though.

I also recommend Bronson's Loose: The Making of the Death Wish Films. It's a bit short, but I guess there weren't that many the author could get in touch with to interview. Interesting read nonetheless.

I believe the recently released Death Wish 2-5 are available in widescreen on Blu-ray, part 2 is the cut version though, so stay away from that one.

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2013, 12:09:13 PM »

Enjoy your vacation, Antonis! 

Thanks for that information, Clintan.  I'll just do a search on Charles Bronson and see what comes up.  I'm connected to a large network based in Boston and a smaller one my local library is connected to so I'm sure there's at least a few to choose from.  If neither has the Menacing book then it's too bad.  I'll consider buying but I very rarely purchase books anymore, something I love libraries for.  You can take them out to read and then return them without adding clutter to your home.  I have a few books, but not many.  If it's not too pricey I'll get the Menaching biorgraphy, read it and then give it to a friend as a gift because he's more of a fan than I am.

There aren't very many Bronson movies on tv these days and that's too bad.  He's had his share of very good ones that should be on more than they are now.

“Eyuh.”
_Clintan_

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2013, 04:34:37 AM »

I see. I'm the other way around, I like owning the thing and don't mind it taking up space in one of my shelves.

The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

"There are two kinds of men in this world"

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2013, 01:29:57 AM »

Back in the day, I saw Death Wish first and then Once Upon A Time....before I ever saw any of the C E westerns. In fact, I may have seen Dirty Harry before seeing any of the C E westerns. In all the excitement I have lost count myself.

OUATITW was a truly amazing experience. The first time I ever saw it, it was the original uncut version. Cannot praise it enough.

Probably have to rank it as the best western I have ever seen, and I have seen practically all of those that I have ever heard of as being ranked by somebody as the "best western". And a big part of my appreciation of it is the remarkably capable acting performance by Charles Bronson as Harmonica.

Anyone who appreciates the western genre and has never yet viewed OUATITW needs to run dont walk to see it. You will come away amazed. 

If somehow you have never yet viewed OUATITW or GBU, I strongly advise you to FIRST watch OUATITW and SECOND watch GBU. Dont ask why, just do it my way. Afterward, you will know what I mean. 

"In all the excitement I lost count myself'
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2013, 05:15:53 AM »

Thanks, Man (With No Aim  ;))

Maybe I should've seen Bronson's western first because I when finally had the opportunity within the past year or so to see it, I came away disappointed.  I don't know that it would've mattered had I seen it before the Eastwood/Leone trilogy.  Maybe I would've liked it a bit more, it's hard to tell.  When you're younger your outlook and expectations are far different.  Well, I can only speak for myself.  Bronson is one of my favorites, though.  I've seen plenty of his films that I enjoy and would like to view again.  Funny how Bronson was one of the actors first offered the role in A Fistful Of Dollars and Eastwood turned down the offer to appear in Once Upon A Time In The West.  That's a pity because it would've been great to see him in it, especially with Bronson.  Maybe over winter I'll give Bronson's western another chance.  I very much like The White Buffalo and Death Hunt.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 05:22:13 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

"There are two kinds of men in this world"

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2013, 11:41:32 PM »

Jesus tells us...When somebody hits you on one side of your face, turn your face and allow them to hit you again, That is Lord Gods righteousness. But our human reaction is, "As quick as I can, I'm going to take that bastards head off". 

OUATITW kind of maximized the expression of "When I can, I'm going to take that bastards head off".

So, in terms of a film confronting a viewer with the viewer's grappling with his primal instinsts versus an attempt to try to be righteous in respect of a higher calling in a spiritual or religeous sense, OUATITW hit a 800 foot home run (US nomenclature, for non-baseball aware folk).
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 11:55:58 PM by The Man With No Aim » Logged

"In all the excitement I lost count myself'
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T