News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trouble With the Curve: Production information and news  (Read 162031 times)
iconfan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #280 on: July 14, 2012, 08:47:10 AM »

Well , Dark Knight opens Friday
We'll find out soon enough I guess

Heck, Bond opens in November and they are talking about releasing a SECOND trailer already

Malpaso ( or at least, the studio for Curve,) sure likes playing their cards close to the chest
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #281 on: July 14, 2012, 10:24:22 AM »

Eastwood and Co. always do this. They don't release a trailer until the very last minute. It's a really bad marketing strategy. All the other September 28th releases have their trailers out, and some of them first had trailers and marketing for their films months ago. I don't really understand why Eastwood chooses to market his films in such a poor fashion. It's important to get the movie right, and that he tries to do, but it's also important to have the movie be publicized well so that people know it's out there and can go see it. There's nothing wrong with a quality product making money. After all, that's a large part of what drives studios to green light these movies. I know that the movies Eastwood makes are often done quickly, and that he might not have time to put out a trailer months in advance of when the movie is completed and ready to show, but he could at least try to release something from the movie three months in advance rather than waiting to the last possible moment to start doing publicity.

KC, I think that "Trouble with the Curve" really can appeal to more than the older crowd. If Clint's movies only appealed to the older crowd, "Gran Torino" wouldn't have made $148 million. Eastwood's films, when done well, and when marketed appropriately, can and do have cross-over appeal. Not only that, but baseball is quite a popular sport in this country.  For a film that is merely geared to the older crowd, see "Best Exotic Marigold Hotel," which made $40 million. "Gran Torino" didn't make $40 million. "Million Dollar Baby" made $100 million. These movies wouldn't be making this kind of money if only older people were buying tickets. For these reasons, I do think it makes a lot of sense to release a trailer soon, and play it before showings of "The Dark Knight Rises." Whether Eastwood and co will do that or not remains to be seen, but I think that a case can be made that it would be worth considering.

KC, I don't think that you will be seeing any marketing for the film at the start of the baseball season. I've never heard of TV commercials running before the trailer for the film has been released, so I'd expect to not see commercials until then.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 10:27:34 AM by AKA23 » Logged
iconfan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #282 on: July 14, 2012, 03:40:50 PM »

Methinks that maybe the studio allows a small budget for the marketing campaigns just as they allow a small budget for the actual making of the films? And maybe that's why the films are marketed so close to the release day?

Lets compare the marketing budget of Dark Knight for example..... ( yes, they are two diff genres but I'm comparing budgets VS marketing timelines)  ......  Dark Knight has had at least 4 trailers as well as up to 6 diff TV spots already- so much so I'm actually tired of seeing them all already and just want to see the film

Whereas Curve has yet to officially release so much as an official still photo and we've got less then two months to go

But to his credit- Eastwood never complains in public about it
He takes whatever they give him and shoots his film and more often than not, the films bring home not only a profit but multiple awards and kudos worldwide

** Small nitpick    I have often wondered just how much of a budget Space Cowboys had. Now naturally it was heavy with effects shots and he DID go to one of the best in the biz, ILM.   But still.... I always feel a little cheated when I watch the command center scenes because that looks like a really, really small set they are standing in for such a complicated - well publicized mission

But I just wanted to point that out as a possible example of how Eastwood manages to do what he can with such small budgets
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 03:45:29 PM by iconfan » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #283 on: July 14, 2012, 04:43:44 PM »

KC, I don't think that you will be seeing any marketing for the film at the start of the baseball season.

It's already too late for that, since the season started in April.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #284 on: July 14, 2012, 04:58:42 PM »

On the other hand, it may well get some exposure on national baseball broadcasts. The All-Star Game is next week, which would probably be a bit early, but on the other hand, I wouldn't be shocked to see at least a teaser trailer then.

I was referring to this, KC. The All-Star Game, not the start of the baseball season. Since I'm not a baseball fan, I don't really know the difference! ;) I think that's passed as well now, though.

Iconfan, I don't think you can really compare "Dark Night Rises" with this film, though. They are completely different scales of production. "Dark Knight Rises" had an estimated production budget of $250 million, while "Trouble With the Curve" likely had a budget that was a fraction of that cost, so it would make sense that the studio would want to publicize early and often for "Rises" so they could recoup these enormous costs. Warners doesn't have that kind of investment in Clint's film, so it would make sense that it would be not as well marketed.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #285 on: July 14, 2012, 05:04:15 PM »

No, there weren't any trailers for Trouble with the Curve during the All-Star game. There was one for the new Batman film, however, so I guess they expect baseball fans to go to that.

It would be nice if someone had some actual news to post in this "Production information and news" thread. It's been a while since we heard anything.
iconfan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #286 on: July 14, 2012, 05:29:51 PM »

http://www.comingsoon.net/trailers/

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/

Here are a couple of places we can keep an eye on while we wait
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #287 on: July 15, 2012, 04:06:01 PM »

This might not mean anything, but I've noticed recently that IMDB has updated their cast listing and now has Amy Adams listed first, and Clint Eastwood listed second. This is the reverse of how they had it before, where Clint was listed first. Having someone in the second position on a cast listing usually indicates that that person is the co-star, rather than the main star of the film. For an Eastwood related example, Kevin Costner was listed first and Eastwood was listed second for "A Perfect World," and Eastwood had a much reduced role in that film. This is a little confusing to me because in the plot description, it does appear that the film does revolve around Eastwood's character. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? It could merely be a mistake, but I can't really think of why IMDB would make this change. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2083383/
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #288 on: July 15, 2012, 04:09:47 PM »

That page hasn't been updated since April 21.

It's the IMDb. Nothing there is official. We will need to be patient until the official publicity is available before we know the billings order.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #289 on: July 15, 2012, 04:23:41 PM »

That page hasn't been updated since April 21.

It's the IMDb. Nothing there is official. We will need to be patient until the official publicity is available before we know the billings order.

Patient? Me? Who do you think you're talking to here? LOL ;)

You are quite right though, KC. Nothing is official there. The IMDB makes mistakes all the time. It's probably just an oversight.
iconfan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #290 on: July 15, 2012, 06:28:09 PM »

I was thinking that maybe they'd release a novelization of the film as a paperback (Like I plan to read Dark Knight Rises on Kindle before I see the movie- many times the author is allowed to ADD a variety of scenes to a storyline to flesh out the characters)

I just checked Amazon and there is nothing noted though, like the trailer, it hasn't even been scheduled nor heard from as yet

Now, depending on the movie when they DO release a paperback, they release it a week or two before opening day so that they get some word of mouth from the few thousand folks who enjoy reading the book before seeing the film

Hey, I can hope, huh?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #291 on: July 15, 2012, 07:07:37 PM »

I don't think there have been any novelizations of Clint's movies from original scripts since A Perfect World in 1993. Of course, many of the films he's done since then were based on books, and there's usually a tie-in edition of the book in those cases.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 07:09:00 PM by KC » Logged
palooka
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #292 on: July 15, 2012, 08:34:43 PM »

I believe we are still 3 or 4 weeks away from the trailer.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #293 on: July 15, 2012, 09:58:35 PM »

No word on the music yet, either, right, Palooka?
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #294 on: July 16, 2012, 02:11:25 PM »

I believe we are still 3 or 4 weeks away from the trailer.

Is this what you are hearing from your sources, or are you saying that mostly because Eastwood typically doesn't release trailers until 6 weeks before the release?

If it is still 3 or 4 weeks away, that's disappointing. The movie is coming out in 2 and a half months and we still don't even know who's doing the score. This only happens with Eastwood movies. I wonder why they are always so slow to publicize the films. There is a silver lining to all this though. At least when the trailer comes out, we'l only have a few weeks to go to see the film, instead of seeing the trailer three or four months in advance, getting all excited about the film, and having to wait for a long period of time before seeing it. With Eastwood, everything happens pretty quickly once things start rolling. I'd still prefer to see the trailer sooner rather than later, but it's something at least.
exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #295 on: July 16, 2012, 02:24:17 PM »

This might not mean anything, but I've noticed recently that IMDB has updated their cast listing and now has Amy Adams listed first, and Clint Eastwood listed second.

I would say that there is absolutely no way that Clint would not have top billing for the film.  As for A Perfect World, Costner certainly had the leading role and deserved the top billing ( I would have actually preferred that Clint had not acted in this film since it was such a small role... but great movie and one of Clint's most overlooked films imo)
exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #296 on: July 16, 2012, 02:31:16 PM »

If it is still 3 or 4 weeks away, that's disappointing. The movie is coming out in 2 and a half months and we still don't even know who's doing the score. This only happens with Eastwood movies. I wonder why they are always so slow to publicize the films. There is a silver lining to all this though. At least when the trailer comes out, we'l only have a few weeks to go to see the film, instead of seeing the trailer three or four months in advance, getting all excited about the film, and having to wait for a long period of time before seeing it. With Eastwood, everything happens pretty quickly once things start rolling. I'd still prefer to see the trailer sooner rather than later, but it's something at least.

I feel what you are saying and have basically always thought the same.  However, without knowing the numbers, I would say that most if not all of his box office hits have always been due to them having legs and building on the box office over several months... rather than having that huge opening weekend and then be gone after three weeks.  I would bet that Clint markets his films based on the theory that having great box office will be due to word of mouth and being shown in theatres for a long time.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #297 on: July 16, 2012, 05:03:14 PM »

I'm just glad Clint is acting again.  It's no secret I'm not a fan of the movies he only directs.  Gran Torino was 4 years ago and that's 4 years too long without an Eastwood starring vehicle.  After being seriously disappointed with Invictus and especially Hereafter, I didn't expect to go out of my way to see another movie he didn't star in.  I'll be the first to admit, though, that J. Edgar wasn't all that bad.  That viewing was an unexpected trip to the movies one day with my wife's uncle and I was pleasantly surprised at not being disappointed yet again.  Part of the appeal was Leonardo DiCaprio, whom I figured would do a good job with the role.  The film wasn't great but at least decent, interesting and even a little entertaining.  I wish Eastwood had made 3 films in which he starred in, instead of what he's done since Gran Torino but so be it.  That's what makes Trouble With The Curve so appealing.  So, staying on topic, regardless of the fact that there's not much information available about this film coupled with the fact that it appears a trailer isn't forthcoming anytime soon, I'll just be patient and take what's coming when it's out, be thankful and enjoy it at that time. 

“Eyuh.”
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #298 on: July 16, 2012, 05:13:43 PM »

I feel what you are saying and have basically always thought the same.  However, without knowing the numbers, I would say that most if not all of his box office hits have always been due to them having legs and building on the box office over several months... rather than having that huge opening weekend and then be gone after three weeks.  I would bet that Clint markets his films based on the theory that having great box office will be due to word of mouth and being shown in theatres for a long time.

A very good point.
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #299 on: July 17, 2012, 12:05:31 PM »

Eastwood and Co. always do this. They don't release a trailer until the very last minute. It's a really bad marketing strategy. All the other September 28th releases have their trailers out, and some of them first had trailers and marketing for their films months ago. I don't really understand why Eastwood chooses to market his films in such a poor fashion. It's important to get the movie right, and that he tries to do, but it's also important to have the movie be publicized well so that people know it's out there and can go see it.
  There's nothing wrong with a quality product making money. After all, that's a large part of what drives studios to green light these movies. I know that the movies Eastwood makes are often done quickly, and that he might not have time to put out a trailer months in advance of when the movie is completed and ready to show, but he could at least try to release something from the movie three months in advance rather than waiting to the last possible moment to start doing publicity.
It all comes down to how much cash that have been put into the production. The bigger the movie, the more advertising the studios'll feel are necessary to be sure to get their money back. And let's face it, Eastwood doesn't exactly deal with the same ammount of money that say, Christopher Nolan does  ;)
I also expect the next couple of weeks'll focus mostly on the big budget CGI heavy action/fantasy movies seeing as the Comic Con in San Diego has just finished, and there is a ton of gossip regardin some of the big productions for late 2012 and 2013, ( The Hobbit, the Superman reboot, the strategy for the next string of Marvel franchise movies etc.etc.) and a "small" movie like Trouble with the curve would probably be overlooked in the flood of information about all the big 2013 releases.
So in conclusion, I don't think it's that bad a market strategy, considering the blockbuster muscle Eastwood is up against  :)
(Still would be cool with at the very least, a poster shot )
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T