News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trouble With the Curve: Production information and news  (Read 162029 times)
clint got HOSED

View Profile Email
« Reply #460 on: September 22, 2012, 04:51:51 PM »

It doesn't really surprise me that this appears to not be doing well at the box office. Eastwood's RNC performance probably alienated some people, and likely didn't help, but I think there's something larger at work here. Time will tell how this will be received, but I think the film Eastwood and Lorenz made is very different than what moviegoers might be expecting to see. This is not really a sports film, so the sports enthusiasts hoping to see that may be disappointed. It's also not in the vein of "Gran Torino" or "Million Dollar Baby," so the people hoping to see an awards-caliber prestige picture may also be disappointed. What this is is a hybrid. It has some comedy, it has some drama, it has flourishes of a sports film, but it's certainly not one in the classic sense. It's very difficult to categorize it. It's very nuanced, and nuance usually doesn't play well to a mass audience.
::)
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #461 on: September 22, 2012, 05:26:52 PM »

Here's some more info on the box office performance so far. Based on these early grosses, the author makes the point that if this current trend holds that this will look more like "True Crime" or "Blood Work" rather than "Million Dollar Baby" or "Gran Torino" in terms of box office performance. Like those earlier films, from these numbers, the author thinks this is likely to underperform at the box office :

http://www.altfg.com/blog/movie/clint-eastwood-trouble-with-the-curve-box-office/

At the same time, the author misses a couple of good points. Firstly, Eastwood's audiences tend to be older, and may not rush out immediately to see this new film on its opening weekend, and secondly, Eastwood's films rarely cost very much to make, so it won't take a whole lot of money for this to turn a profit.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 05:28:15 PM by AKA23 » Logged
exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #462 on: September 23, 2012, 04:38:33 PM »

At the same time, the author misses a couple of good points. Firstly, Eastwood's audiences tend to be older, and may not rush out immediately to see this new film on its opening weekend, and secondly, Eastwood's films rarely cost very much to make, so it won't take a whole lot of money for this to turn a profit.

I agree... even with Timberlake in the movie, this is not a movie that teens/college folks will rush out to see.  They will most definitely flock to End of Watch and House at the end of the Street before they go see this movie.  And you are right, the bigger audience for this film will be older and will see the movie more during the week than on the weekend. Wouldn't surprise me to see TWTC have bigger box office results this Mon-Friday than those other two movies.  I really don't think his speech at the RNC has any impact on the box office... it's just due to the type of movie it is.,,not a shoot'em up cop or horror movie...
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #463 on: September 23, 2012, 05:18:13 PM »

Box Office Mojo has Trouble with the Curve in a "photo finish" with two other pictures in a mediocre weekend:

Weekend Report: Photo Finish in Slow Race to the Top
by Ray Subers

September 23, 2012

It's one of the tightest races ever for first place at the box office this weekend, though all three movies in contention had fairly mediocre debuts.

According to studio estimates, House at the End of The Street and End of Watch are tied with $13 million, while Trouble with the Curve isn't far behind and could ultimately move up to the top spot. Without any break-out hit, the Top 12 earned an estimated $76.6 million this weekend, which is off a whopping 28 percent from the same frame last year.

Trouble with the Curve debuted to an estimated $12.7 million from 3,212 locations, which was good for third place (though one ancillary source has it in first place, which could be where it ends up when actuals report on Monday afternoon). That's way behind Moneyball's $19.5 million opening last September, though it does at least rank sixth all-time for baseball movies. Compared to recent Clint Eastwood movies, Trouble's debut was less than half of Gran Torino's nationwide expansion ($29.5 million), but up slightly on recent directorial efforts J. Edgar ($11.2 million) and Hereafter ($12 million). The movie received a "B+" CinemaScore, which suggests neutral word-of-mouth that won't help or hurt in the long run.

One could view Trouble with the Curve's middling performance as an indictment of Clint Eastwood's brand following his bizarre chair-talking performance at the Republican National Convention last month. Instead, it's best to view this as a failure of the baseball movie genre, which has an incredibly low ceiling (the top debut ever belongs to The Benchwarmers with $19.7 million). Baseball fans spend 162 days a year (or more) following their favorite team, and so there needs to be something special for them to devote that extra time and money to a baseball movie. Also, thanks to the addition of an extra Wild Card spot in each league, late September is more competitive than ever in Major League Baseball this year, which may have kept more fans at home.

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3530&p=.htm

iconfan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #464 on: September 24, 2012, 12:04:46 PM »

Heck, baseball has always been a tough sell at the movies

I'm just glad Eastwood agreed to it and from the trailer it looks like everyone in the film had a good time ( the music in the film is especially uplifting which seems to be a good contrast to the dramatic undertone of his character having vision troubles)

Some reviews have said he is just going over old material ( Father and daughter relationships) but so what? It has always been a treat to see each new Eastwood film. He knows what his fans want and he delivers

As for the argument of it being third on the all important opening weekend...its better than dead last.
Third is very good considering baseball is still being played on TV plus the fact there are many other new films out with it being September

Curve will have a good run and then fans will find it on disc just after the Holidays in the middle of winter when there aren't any distractions and they'll find it then and enjoy it

Meantime- thanks Clint! Hurry up and do another film- we'll be waiting
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #465 on: September 24, 2012, 01:52:22 PM »

It looks like "Trouble With the Curve" placed third at the box office this weekend, with around $12.2 million. This was way below studio expectations of $18 million. An article I read, which I posted earlier, stated that this film will likely only gross $40 million at the box office during its domestic run, and that its international numbers would probably not be very strong because of baseball's limited appeal overseas. If it turns out that this film is a box office failure, then it would be the fourth box office failure domestically in a row for Eastwood. Even though his movies don't cost a lot, a movie has to typically make more than twice its production budget just to break even. If his films continue not to make money, and they also do not garner awards recognition, he might start to have significant difficulty getting financing for his future films. Eastwood needs another hit. I hope the box office numbers pick up.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/24/end-of-watch-box-office_n_1910495.html
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 02:22:54 PM by AKA23 » Logged
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #466 on: September 24, 2012, 02:03:01 PM »

Perhaps he'll come over to Europe to continue making films...

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
exit00

View Profile Email
« Reply #467 on: September 24, 2012, 03:02:44 PM »

It looks like "Trouble With the Curve" placed third at the box office this weekend, with around $12.2 million. This was way below studio expectations of $18 million. An article I read, which I posted earlier, stated that this film will likely only gross $40 million at the box office during its domestic run, and that its international numbers would probably not be very strong because of baseball's limited appeal overseas. If it turns out that this film is a box office failure, then it would be the fourth box office failure domestically in a row for Eastwood. Even though his movies don't cost a lot, a movie has to typically make more than twice its production budget just to break even. If his films continue not to make money, and they also do not garner awards recognition, he might start to have significant difficulty getting financing for his future films. Eastwood needs another hit. I hope the box office numbers pick up.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/24/end-of-watch-box-office_n_1910495.html

Not sure I agree totally with this article re the overseas box office.  Sure, baseball has minimal appeal in Europe but in Asia and South America, baseball is huge.  So... it will be pretty interesting to see how the foreign box office shakes out.  (plus, it's really not a baseball movie the way Moneyball was... the core story being the father/daughter relationship)
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #468 on: September 24, 2012, 04:28:44 PM »

Perhaps he'll come over to Europe to continue making films...

...like Woody Allen  ;)

Btw the film opens in Finland 23.11.2012 and it`s called "Takaisin Pelissä" which means"back in the game"  ::)
exit00

View Profile Email
« Reply #469 on: September 25, 2012, 03:23:26 PM »

TWTC moved up to the number 2 box office film for Monday.  Looks like it will be hard for it to overtake End of Watch though.
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #470 on: September 25, 2012, 10:36:19 PM »

" Who's No. 1: Clint? Jake? Jennifer? Guess."

By Richard Corliss

http://entertainment.time.com/2012/09/23/whos-no-1-clint-jake-jennifer-guess/

Back in the ’60s, when manager Casey Stengel shepherded the newborn New York Mets to four consecutive last-place seasons — in a 10-team league! — he would famously ask, “Can’t anybody here play this game?” That was the question at this weekend’s box office: four movies opened and none hit even a modest $15 million, including the Clint Eastwood baseball drama Trouble With the Curve. But on a weekend that began with three American League teams, the Yankees, Orioles and Athletics, just a game apart from one another with 13 days left in baseball’s regular season (Let’s! Go! A’s!), ( Let's! Go! Yanks!)the box office did produce a close race — of mediocrity.

In preliminary estimates of North American ticket sales issued today, the Eastwood movie was in third place, less than $300,000 behind the two “winners” — the psychological thriller House at the End of the Street, starring Jennifer Lawrence, and the cop procedural End of Watch, with Jake Gyllenhaal — both claiming exactly $13 million. Dredd, the fourth debut film in wide release, flopped into sixth place with $6.3 million. The true first-place finisher will not be determined until Monday’s publication of the actual Friday-to-Sunday figures.

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #471 on: September 26, 2012, 08:47:11 PM »

Unfortunately I havent seen this movie yet.  Due to work schedule and due to some of my friends not being able to go at the same time.  But I am going Monday to see it.  And I am thoroughly looking forward to it.  And I will be buying it when it's released on dvd.  Even though I havent seen it yet I firmly believe that it will have a better turnout before it's done at the theatre.  Mostly due to older people waiting later to see it like what was said, and the fact that there's not alot of competition for it either.  While I dont think alot of younger people are going to be highly interested in it.  But I feel like the father daughter relationship and Timberlake and Adama being in it should help some as far as younger people go.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #472 on: September 30, 2012, 03:12:39 PM »

Has there ever been any mention of what the budget for Trouble with the Curve was?
iconfan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #473 on: October 07, 2012, 05:36:50 AM »

http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/friday-box-office-taken-2-taking-off-for-1-with-17-5m-friday-and-46m-weekend-frankenweenie-3-5m-friday13-3m-wkd/#more-348977

It still in the top ten but fading fast with the onslaught of Halloween pix due out as well as all the rest of the usual Fall pictures

Still.... it will be rolled out on DVD and BluRay probably near baseball season and maybe Warners will be kind enough to give it the basic push with stand up cardboard displays in stores etc so that baseball fans can get a second chance at it  ( I do believe there is a second wave of people out there anymore who simply wait for the home version to appear so they can enjoy it in their own home on their 58 inch TV when they find the time-- which is fine since Hollywood counts that cash flow just as much as they do the box office receipts)

As I said earlier- this script had been floating around for ten years- from what I read- I'm glad they put it on film so now it can just be out there if someone wants to see it
iconfan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #474 on: October 07, 2012, 05:41:18 AM »

For those of you interested here is a copy paste of the box office numbers
Curve is a solid number 6 in the third week though I would think by the end of the month it'll drop out of the top ten

I'm just glad its on film because its a very nice little family film
http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/friday-box-office-taken-2-taking-off-for-1-with-17-5m-friday-and-46m-weekend-frankenweenie-3-5m-friday13-3m-wkd/#more-348977
iconfan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #475 on: October 07, 2012, 09:00:37 AM »

Christopher- I'd be interested to know the budget as well but I have yet to see a reference

I would assume that, since it had no special effects and yet still involved a portion of location shooting ( where you would need- at minimum- a tax deferment and a local catering service and a motel to hold the cast and crew) somewhere in the neighborhood of the usual 30 to 40 million that Warners would always give Clint.

I mean you know he's gonna save them money because even though he didn't direct -one of his own producers directed and yet that guy knows full well that Eastwood is looking to do an efficient yet speedy shoot. The way Eastwood does a film he automatically saves a studio entire days of shooting on the end of the schedule

If anyone else were to direct this ( and if there had been another star instead of Eastwood) the film would have needed the five or six days that Eastwood would have saved. Which is a great deal of cash on a location shoot since each average day of shooting on a film like this one costs at least 500,000.00  

( From what I have read up on over the years, figuring in inflation) I mean the average hot TV series has a budget upwards of three million a week

If it rains one or two days on location or you take too many takes of too many scenes too often you can easily burn through two to three days of shooting on a schedule
And at nearly half a million bucks a day that gets expensive- especially if your traveling from location to location on the road and you have tight schedule

Somehow Eastwood, over all of his years of acting AND directing,  managed to get it all done with such ease that he handled the making of two films a year over a very large portion of his career

I have yet to see any other actor or director come close to matching Eastwood's output. And with things getting more and more expensive as each year passes, I dare say that Eastwood's record will stand unchallenged.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 09:02:04 AM by iconfan » Logged
exit00

View Profile Email
« Reply #476 on: October 08, 2012, 09:47:29 AM »

I have no doubt that once all the box office numbers are in, the film will make a real nice profit. (as is the usual case for Clint movies) I'm still really curious on how the foreign box office will be for this one.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 09:49:54 AM by exit00 » Logged
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #477 on: October 15, 2012, 08:54:47 PM »

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #478 on: October 15, 2012, 09:06:26 PM »

higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #479 on: October 30, 2012, 07:34:48 PM »

Clint was not attending the Tokyo Film Festival.  It seems to be busy with his recent policy..... Unfortunately.   :(

http://eiga.com/news/20121028/11/

(With a little clumsy translation;)
In interview, Director Robert Lorenz said  " I learned about life " from mentor Eastwood not only to filmmaking " Stay in good health " and " Think in the long run ".......also   I was taught that an actor as a position that is directed what he feel.  I think I have inherited a confidence that will lead to other people as a leader. He was very impressed that with this work, formed a duo with Eastwood as director " It was the best experience ".

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T