News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SFC Richard A. Cooper 10/07/41 - 3/07/17 "Coop"  (Read 2375 times)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: March 29, 2017, 06:03:52 AM »

Very sad to report my dad's recent passing.  When Diana came to inform me at work, I was shocked at first and found it very difficult to accept, even believe.  I've been to his cabin in Maine several times since but upon my arrival last Sunday morning a week had passed and I found myself slowing down upon approach, not wanting to face the reality yet again, wishing he'd be there like he had been so many times before, for years.

In keeping with my dad's final wishes, neither a wake was held nor a viewing.  He also asked there to be minimal services and guests.  What follows is a brief eulogy that I delivered at the services the day of his burial:

"Only God is perfect.  My dad's best quality is that he truly cared. I can best describe him as a man who sang to the melody of his own lyrics, marched to the beat of his own drum and certainly walked his own path.  To him I say (sung to the melody of Home Sweet Home): 'You're on your way.  You're on your way, home sweet home.'  God speed on your final journey, Dad. May the wind be at your back. May God Bless You. May You Rest In Peace. I Love You." I followed this up with a salute as he was a veteran of the U.S. Army.  He received military honors and as I was his first born, I was presented with the American flag that was draped over his coffin, as well as three of the shell casings from the rifles fired in his honor representing duty, honor and country.  His final resting place is in the Massachusetts National Cemetery in Bourne, MA.

We had our differences over the years and despite some recent hurdles our relationship had been improving.  It had been the best it's ever been.  I can take great comfort in that and that we always hugged upon greeting and departure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 06:20:40 AM by Brian (Jed) Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 08:53:53 AM »

Brian, glad you had the chance to connect with your father recently. I'm sure that brought peace to you both.

R.I.P. SFC Cooper.
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 11:20:21 AM »

Sorry for your loss Brian.
My sincere condolences.

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 02:33:47 PM »

My condolences, Brian. Sorry to hear about your loss.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 05:07:49 PM »

My condolences Brian.

RIP Mr Cooper.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 07:01:39 PM »

Sorry to hear about your dad, Brian.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 12:14:55 AM »

My condolences, Brian. I'm sorry for your loss.

R.I.P., Richard A. Cooper.
TWOMULES

Email
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 12:39:24 AM »

Sorry for your loss, Brian.
My condolences to you and your family. :(
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 06:11:56 AM »

Thank you all so very much.  I was hesitant to even post but I've been a member here for years through good times and bad,  of which I am determined to have more of the former than the latter.  I have come to respect you all here, member and moderators, more over the past year considering some personal matters I've gone through the past 20 months.  Life is too short and I truly value being here and knowing and interacting with you all.  It is an honor and privilege I no longer take lightly or for granted. 

Again, thank you all and I hope all is well with you and your loved ones.  Have a great day!

“Eyuh.”
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 04:19:20 PM »

I am sorry for your loss, Brian. It sounds like you were able to become much closer to your Dad before he passed, and that is such a blessing. I am happy that you two were able to form that bond before it was too late. I will be keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. I wish you strength and peace during this very difficult time. Feel free to private message me if there's anything I can do to help make this process easier for you. I feel for you. Your tribute to your Dad is very nice. It's wonderful to hear he truly cared, and that he was given a military burial. My grandfather, as a veteran of World War II, also received that and I thought it was very special and a wonderful recognition of the contributions veterans like your Dad and my grandfather made to our country.
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 05:49:11 PM »

Very sad to hear this Brian

I will be thinking of you and your family.

Sorry for your loss.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 10:58:18 AM »

Thank you!  Have a great day!!

“Eyuh.”
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T