News: See Eastwood's latest, THE 15:17 TO PARIS, in theaters February 9, 2018!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is Last Play, Musical, Comedy, Drama, Dance, Opera, etc, you saw?  (Read 5852 times)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2016, 06:48:46 AM »

My cousin's kids do a local ballet version of The Nutcracker every year--I saw it two years ago. A professional show would be great, I'm sure. I've seen video and photos from professional versions.

Last weekend I saw a college production of Dracula that was really well done. It even had actors being lowered from the balcony to the stage on a harness. And there was some blood.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2016, 08:10:42 PM »

It even had actors being lowered from the balcony to the stage on a harness. And there was some blood.

Before or after they lowered the actors? ??? ;)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2016, 02:17:30 AM »

Nice Fish starring Mark Rylance at Londons Harold Pinter Theatre

Comic play starring Mark Rylance and Jim Lichtscheid play an odd couple out on a fishing expidition on a frozen Minnesota lake..

Very funny surreal  existential comedy  exploring themes such as middle age and mortality..
I'm not actually a huge fan of Mark Rylance but I really enjoyed his performance in this and the play as a whole..

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2016, 10:18:02 AM »

LAZARUS

I dont get to go to the theatre that often but went again last week to see Lazarus.. David Bowie's final work. A musical sequel to his film The Man Who Fell To Earth which I re watched recently..

Bowie worked on this almost right up untill his death last January, living just long enough to see it performed on preview night.. so as a fan I was eager to see this,  his final work..

Starring Michael C Hall of Dexter fame

I've got to say... I absolutely loved it...

The whole cast were amazing.. Three of the original American cast from the NY run and the rest British..
Its a very moving piece.. for those who don't know the story Hall plays an alien who comes to Earth for water to save his dying planet and family.. He fails and is left stranded here, alcoholic and slowely going insane..
Its packed full of tunes from Bowie's whole career and for me worked perfectly...

Literally out of this world !

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2018, 02:15:33 PM »

What a cracking show this was. Great songs and what a musical genius Carole King was. Writing music and songs from the age of 16 and some of the songs made famous by other artists that I didn't realise Carole wrote.

5/5.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2018, 10:41:20 PM »

Is. Not was ... ;)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2018, 11:09:05 PM »

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2018, 01:24:17 AM »

Mel Brooks Young Frankenstein at London's Garrick theatre..

Really didn't enjoy this. I'm not a big fan of Brooks work (tickets bought for me) tho I remember
Enjoying the movie as a kid...

It all felt very dated and extremely unfunny...

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2018, 09:01:48 AM »

Rope

A performance of the original play and not the Hitchcock movie version..
Pretty good, bit stilted in places but I can imagine it caused quite a stir in its day..

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2018, 09:22:40 AM »

Did it play with no intermissions or breaks between scenes? ;)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2018, 10:24:33 AM »

Lol ... Lots of breaks and the all important intermission to replenish wine glass...

I've never been too much of a theatre goer but I'm warming to the experience..

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2018, 12:55:48 PM »

I would love to see Rope on stage! I've mentioned before that most of the productions I see are college performances, and sometimes I'll catch a show at a local community theater. I most recently saw the play version of Fahrenheit 451 put on by one of the schools I work for. It was an awesome production!
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2018, 06:26:59 PM »

I saw a play last night called Having Our Say. It's based on a true story, which was turned into a bestselling book of oral history back in the 1990s. The book and the play present the reminiscences of Bessie and Sadie Delany, African-American sisters (they prefer the old-fashioned term "colored") who were born around the year 1890 and were both over 100 at the time their story was written down. Their father was born into slavery, but grew up to become the first African-American to be elected a bishop in the Episcopalian church in the U.S. Their mother was the child of a free black woman and a white farmer, who were a devoted couple although they were prevented by law from marrying. (The same "miscegenation" laws that wouldn't be overthrown until the Loving case in 1967, which was celebrated in the movie of the same name that Gant reviewed for us in the "2017 Movie Discussion" thread today.)

The sisters eventually moved to New York and both became professionals, Sadie a teacher and Bessie a dentist. They had long and successful careers and were active in the women's rights and civil rights movements. It was fascinating to hear them tell their stories, without bitterness or rancor at all the slights and racism they'd experienced over the course of a century, and with a great deal of pride in their life choices and their accomplishments.

Besides the book and the play (which was on Broadway in 1995; this was a very small-scaled production in a tiny "pop-up" performance space), there was a TV movie with Diahann Carroll and Ruby Dee, but this was the first time I'd encountered the story. I probably wouldn't have gone on my own, but I was very grateful to my friend who suggested it.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2018, 02:54:07 AM »

That sounds great, would've loved to have seen that..

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T